Dog Attack Advice

If anyone can offer advice, ethical or practical, please do as I’m on the ledge.

My dog tore threw a screen and attacked a neighbor’s dog. The injuries sound significant but not life threatening. Neighbor told me quote “Her leg is torn up.” Ive already told the neighbor I will pay for any medical bills.

I’m sick to my stomach. I don’t even begin to know what to do. I’m guessing they are going to want her to be put down.

She is 3 years old (a rescue) and has always been dog aggressive to most dogs but not all. I procastinated getting professional counseling as she has shown some progress in spurts.

I’m not even sure there’s anything to be said but I’m scared as fuck. I would give my life for this dog no question but I also want to do the right thing in regards someone else’s dog getting hurt possibly being put down.

I don’t need judgement as my own personal judgement will be far worse just any advice that might help.

Do what you can to make sure your dog never gets out again. Which means, if you can in any way do so, creating a sally port situation.

2 : a secure entryway (as at a prison) that consists of a series of doors or gates

You want to be in a situation where two (or more) things got to go wrong for your dog to get out.

That sucks and I’m sorry about your situation. I think offering to pay all medical bills helps. Maybe let them know your intentions as far as counseling/training/socialization (and then follow through) and see if that maybe makes any difference?

IANAL so I have know idea how the process would go about compelling you to put your dog down, but I’d imagine it would take some work on their part if you are not cooperative.

Will depend on local rules, but first offense vs another dog probably won’t be fatal. If a formal process is engaged, participate in it.

From what I read, one attack, probably won’t be forced to put the dog down. That being said definitely seek some professional help for the dog. Do whatever you have to do to make sure your dog is never going to see your neighbors dog again. Let your neighbors know what all you are going to do.

I will move out of the neighborhood this week. I just don’t know what to do as far as communicating to the neighbor.

Ive never had an anxiety attack but now I know what they are. I just took a couple of emergency xanax.

I think I should just wait for the neighbor to contact me but I don’t know. This is the nut low.

2 Likes

I know I sound like a monster. Thanks for any input.

Moving sounds a bit extreme. Do you not think you can follow Sabo’s advice instead?

Was the neighbor dog in your backyard or yard off leash? Were they walking the dog down the sidewalk on a leash?

Don’t assume your dog will be put down. Don’t feel too bad. These things happen. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Secure your yard
Put your dog in aggression training
Continue to offer your neighbour support, financial and otherwise
If a procedure starts happily participate and document all the above

2 Likes

A.C.A. § 14-54-1102

This Arkansas statute provides that municipal corporations have the power to prevent the running at large of dogs and the injuries and annoyances associated with them. Further, this statute allows municipalities to authorize the destruction or impoundment of dogs if found in violation of ordinance. However, prior to destroying the dog, the municipality shall give the dog’s owner at least five (5) days’ notice of the date of the proposed destruction of the dog by certified mail if the dog carries the owner’s address.

This doesn’t sound good.

If worst come to absolute absolute worst. The very last card is saying its a rescue dog and offer to return the dog to the rescue agency. But that would be the absolute last card I would play.

I will echo what some others have said. It is unlikely that a first offence will get your down put down. Usually you will get a strike or two. However this is up to city/county rules so check those.

Here are some things you should probably do. These will cost a lot of time, effort, and money. If you can’t do them, you might consider giving the dog up.

–You absolutely must prevent another attack. That’s when you’ll get into serious trouble. The poster who said always have two barriers was on the right track.

–If you own the house, put up a fence ASAP. Some dogs can scale six foot fences (unfortunately I know from experience) so figure out if your dog is a fence jumper.

–If you rent, then yeah, maybe move. You said the dog tore a screen so it must have been a porch or screen door? Or put up a backup barrier/pen somehow with your own $.

–Get training immediately. Not all dog trainers know what they are doing. Find one who has experience with dogs who are aggressive to other dogs. Some trainers will try to train all dogs the same way (e.g. be the pack leader etc.). However dogs attack dogs for different reasons, so try to figure this out. My dog acts likes a crazy dog if another dog barks at me or my wife, but she gets along fine at dog day care when I am not around. Find a trainer with a “bombproof” dog so you can figure out if your dog can ever be around other dogs.

–Figure out if your dog has any aggression toward people. The trainer should help with this.

–Constantly train your dog at home. Your trainer should be able to help with this.

–Some dogs can’t be fixed (or it would take so much effort that it’s not worth it).

-Exercise the hell out of your dog. Super long walks and add in some high intensity stuff.

Good luck.

6 Likes

It’s tough. Growing up we had the sweetest Great Dane ever. One day a neighborhood get was taunting her and she ended up snapping at them.

While we should have send the neighbor kid away we ended up sending the dog away.

Dogs that show hyper aggressiveness are a tough one. And what you do is almost entirely situation dependent. We got rid of our dog because it wad s house with a bunch of young kids and the dog would be exposed to a lot of children. Plus due to the massive size of the dog and the relatively small yard size, it was felt it was best all around. Plus you can only take so many pictures of a giant Great Dane next to your runt of the litter chihuahua.

Dog attacks happen. It sucks but they do occur. I mean they are animals. If it’s the 1st attack, it will probably be put on a list. But if it happens a 2nd time, yea, they will put it to sleep.

As the owner you need to be 100% sure the dog can’t get out again. No need to put it in a crate. Just put it in an empty bedroom or whatever. None of this screen door bullshit. A solid door that’s locked and the windows down and locked as well.

You also need to stimulate your dog. Their energy gets all pent up and shit. You need to exhaust the dog so that it sleeps while you are gone.

1 Like

RED ROCKET RED ROCKET RED ROCKET

2 Likes

Lol had to look that up on urban dictionary. A+

Her name is Revvy. Makes me wonder how much power there is in a name as she is named after a badass violent female anime protagonist with past issues of abuse.

9 Likes

Nominative determinism.

If you’d called her Revie instead she’d have left for a better home in the Middle East and you wouldn’t be in this dilemma.

football reference

My current dilemna is deciding if I should take the initiative of going to see the neighbor first. I don’t want to exacerbate their anger since the emotions have to be fresh. The longer it takes to hear from them the more I’m suspecting they put the dog down.