Do you like Concerts? What are your experiences?

1. Happy bday
  2. We are all proud of your country for doing it so well.
  3. Ok—and just a bit jealous.

Sounds awesome!

We had tickets for Dennis DeYoung of Styx fame pushed back three times now from last spring. I think it’s July 2021 currently. Not going obv unless jabbed.

1 Like

I had a few concerts pushed back but the hardest one for me to swallow is RATM. I never saw them live when they were together, they finally start touring again and come to my city and COVID fucks it all up.

2 Likes

I got a late start going to many concerts due to having a family so young. I call going to concerts now as my bucket list.

Not that I want to see them before I die. I want to see them before they die. Damn you Tom Petty.

1 Like

Yup. I had both STP and Soundgarden on my bucket list. I only got to see one of them. It still makes me sad to know I’ll never get to see my all time favorite singer live.

I go to 30+ shows a year with my wife and friends

Was at soundgardens last show at the fox theater

Can confirm Chris C was asking very strangely. Kept referencing how Cleveland will wish they would have been here tonight.

Crazy that by the time I got home he was already dead.

2 Likes

In 1981, I saw Tom Petty in the first concert I ever attended.

2 Likes

I saw Tom Petty the year he died. He was extremely fucked up on stage but still put on a decent concert considering.

1 Like

I saw Jerry Garcia not too long before he died. He seemed weak.

1 Like

I used to do amateur standup at a bar called the Boom Boom Room across from the Fillmore in SF. Sometimes we’d get a crowd waiting for the concert who would talk really loud and not pay any attention to the comic. Petty’s crowd was amazing. They packed the place, and a really got into the show.

1 Like

I saw STP a few times when I used to go to concerts often, the trick Scott would do with the megaphone/microphone combo is one of my most endearing concert memories. It’s so cool, and I haven’t seen anyone do it since

I’ve never been to a concert.

Part of it is that the atmosphere of one terrifies me. The other is that by the time I hear about a concert the tickets are sold out.

For the right band and with people I’d be willing to try and overcome the fear though

1 Like

Woah, what. You need to at least give this a try once.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t think of myself much of a concert guy, but they are actually damn awesome. Attended a music festival in Louisville a few times. One time my friends did get me to go standing area 3 rows deep for a headliner (String Cheese Incident). Found that overwhelming, but was happy to watch a ways back. But yeah concerts have cramped standing area, and a ways back where you can stand and chill.

Boom! MODDING!!!

I like small shows or if it’s a big concert it should be more than just sitting in a seat listening to music I could listen to at home. Grateful Dead or Pantera…something interesting.

I love live music and probably go to 8-10 concerts a year if not more. Living in Chicago makes it easy as basically every band will make a stop here on their tours and we have a ton of great live music venues that are easily accessible by public transit.

Two of the cooler concerts that I’ve been to recently:

Galantis - Saw this Concert on Friday, March 6th, 2020. In retrospect, being in a giant open room for three hours with a bunch of 18 to 25 year olds sweaty, dancing, and maskless… Waaaaaasn’t the safest place to be. But, first time I ever had rolled on Molly (Highly Recommend). Went with my wife and a few close friends, just vibed out the whole time, really fun show that just put me in a great mood and was a great way to blow off some steam and do something I’d never done before just before going into two months of pretty much total lockdown and losing my job during the process.

Foo Fighters - Went and saw them at Wrigley Field in July of 2018. I got married in late August of 2018. I was also depressed for most of 2018. Had to spend the first three months back on night shift at a job that I had started to hate. Basically spent every day getting our registry presents shipped to my work, so my life just felt like an endless checklist of schlepping boxes a half mile to my car, driving them home, opening them, organizing them, taking out the boxes to the recycling, and then doing more wedding planning. I really had just lost the joy in life because it felt like all my free time was spent doing stuff I wasn’t really enjoying. When they played Everlong to end the show, in one of the coolest stadiums in America, I had a super cathartic moment, just started crying in the stands (I think I’ve cried like twice in the last 5 years) and that was kind of the final moment to get me over the hump of my depression and allow me to enjoy life again.

2 Likes

Went to see Dylan with a couple of friends, probably in 1978 or 79 in Hollywood, Florida. We were quite aways from the stage and it was a pretty big place so the sound quality wasn’t as great as we’d like. Mainly though, I remember rolling like 13 joints for the concert, and when they raised the lights for intermission, the smoke was so thick you couldn’t see the upper deck. LOL.

2 Likes

I have tickets to RATM in april. It won’t happen

1 Like

UR OLD! Born in 1958?

I saw Dylan with the Dead in the mid-90s. Anaheim Stadium. Not the greatest show ever.

You got it. The chemicals have kept me well preserved though.

1 Like

I’m old. Went to a lot of concerts in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s when I was in high school/college in Wisconsin (near Milwaukee/Madison/Chicago). It was the thing to do back then at least in my social circle.

Loved the small shows that now legendary bands put on (before they were super famous and before Stadium Shows). I saw the Who twice in a rickety old barn. They played some early songs from Tommy which really blew me away. Led Zeppelin and Blind Faith headlined a mini-festival in Milwaukee one year. Zep was, of course, fantastic (Bonzo and Moon are the best rock drummers of all time). Eric Clapton/Blind Faith were great but not very exciting if you know what I mean.

I saw a lot of local bands some of which went on to be somebody like Styx and Cheap Trick. A band possibly nobody here has heard of, The Ides of March, played my local high school football stadium one time.

Of course, The Who is my favorite band and I have seen them many times. Great live show as everybody knows. Eric Clapton is the act I have seen the most times. Clapton often has old-time Blues men on his shows so I’ve been fortunate to see BB King, Albert King, Buddy Guy, and many others I have forgotten over the years.

I moved to California for graduate school and saw a ton of concerts in the San Francisco Bay Area (then and since). I think my all-time favorite concert was a mid-1970’s concert by Pink Floyd, another great live band. IIRC they played Animals in its entirety, took a short intermission, and then came back and played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety. I love Pete Townshend as a guitarist but David Gilmour is my all-time favorite.

6 Likes