COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

14 posts were split to a new topic: Do you like Concerts? What are your experiences?

Flu numbers are low enough that this is nuts

Its endlessly sad. I’ve often said if the literal Christian devil was real and made deals like the stories, the only thing I would ever trade my soul for is Chris’ voice.

I wish he could have gotten help.

My father (85 years old, no complicating health issues, Durham NC) has been scheduled for vaccination on 1/30. Will be a great relief to have him protected.

21 Likes

Here is a fine exhibit of what actually happens in schools in anytown USA.

But no, it only happens during after school activities.

Yeah, there’s lots to lol about when it comes to Nate Silver, but his advocacy for simple, easily verified vaccine eligibility is correct. Every single vaccinated person helps protect everyone else, so a precise rank ordering of priority is far less important than gittin’ 'r dun. Something like sort by decades old starting 80+, every month subtract 10. First 10 days of the month, only people with the ones digit of their birth date the same as that of the date in question are eligible so as to prevent massive lines. After that, anyone of age. People bringing proof of employment by certified employers (first hospitals and nursing homes, expanding to e.g. meat packers, then grocery stores, truckers, delivery, and other can’t-WFH jobs) can jump in at the 80+, then 70+, etc. tiers. Like, I feel bad for you if you, like almost all of us, recently learned the term “co-morbidity” and learned that it applied to you, but anyone getting vaccinated helps you, too. That’s harder to prove and document and such. Age and employer are huge and obvious risk factors. If you’re young, don’t work in a can’t-WFH profession, and have several co-morbidities, stay the fuck at home until it’s your turn.

9 Likes

China has started vaccinating the 16-60 age group first, rather than the most vulnerable.

2 Likes

i’m grunching badly here, but why is this not moving faster? Israel already vaccinated 20%. Today anyone 55+ can get a shot, but my sisters already got it (both in their 40s) as did my parents of course.

The process is you type in your birthday and you get an appointment.

1 Like

My 86 year old MIL who hasn’t been out of the house in 6 months has had a shot which is all well and good, but a friend who is a nurse on the covid ward at Worthing hospital is still waiting Priorities seem off

Czech Republic won’t have their online system set until February 1st. People over 80 and those with chronic health conditions can register starting January 15th.

The ones who have received the vaccine so far have been health care workers.

It’s really embarrassing but we’re at least better than France.

Ah yes, the most common fall back comforting thought for any country in any situation.

3 Likes

We’re better than Belgium and The Netherlands too!

2 Likes

I expect the Netherlands to catch up and overtake a lot of countries now that the rollout started. They have a very good healthcare infrastructure that makes it easy to get the vaccine to the right people. They just took longer to start as their biggest purchase was the AstraZeneca vaccine.

1 Like

I would like to think that an infrastructure for delivering the vaccine is currently being solidified in the Czech Republic.

But knowing this government, I highly doubt it. We have the most deaths per million in the world over the last 7 days. We have the second most cases per capita in the EU over the last 2 weeks (only Lithuania has us beat). Yet, the average person won’t be able to get a vaccine appointment for another 2+ weeks.

This wasn’t true in my experience. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday as part of group 1B and the system was really easy.

You make an account at vaccinepod.nyc.gov and then searched for an appointment. To make the account you need your name, addy, email and dob, and to schedule the appointment you first needed to identify which group you were in that made you eligible and which shot you were scheduling (first or second).

Not a fan of Cuomo for a variety of reasons but I’m not sure where this is coming from

3 Likes

Catching you up MF and leaving those puny Yanks in the dust…

Gotta be the best at something, right?

Post-Brexit glory shall be ours, as prophesised by the Messiah Nigel.

2 Likes

Jfc it’s not like there wasn’t 9 months notice and precedent for doing mass vaccination campaigns dating back almost a century.

This can’t be right.

From a Czech-translated article

It is now possible to vaccinate up to six doses from one vial, so this can mean up to 1,170 vaccinees from one plate. Babiš stated that 27 salaries were received by the regions and 74 were divided between teaching and military hospitals and medical institutes.

That seems like a lot to get from one vial