Depp v Heard

Almost every BLM supporting, metoo woman I have on IG is firmly on Depps side.

Score one for the algorithms are evil crowd.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was my experience, too, and it’s why I found the trial so confusing. But, I chalk it up more to him looking hot in Pirates of the Caribbean than to algorithms. Algorithms aren’t going to cut it without that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1532125987051163648

https://mobile.twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1532315220550598656

2 Likes

The disaster is that they were lazy and decided to make a domestic abuser into a very public symbol of domestic violence victims.

But they got tons of ratings out of it so worth it right? Who cares if picking a truly shitty example of a domestic violence victim damages the cause if you get those sweet sweet clicks out of it.

Every single piece of pro AH news coverage belongs in the bad media takes thread. They 100% created this situation.

1 Like

Why do you think on the facts the Sun won the UK trial, proving over a dozen instances of abuse by Depp?

Why was it a not a shitty media thing over the small headline, not on TV UK trial, whereas the TV nature of the American one blew up?

I grudgingly have to agree with this take. I think Depp should have lost the case on the merits, but making Amber Heard an avatar for abuse victims everywhere is not appropriate. I suspect the reason she lost is that the jury decided she behaved worse than Depp did and they wanted to punish her for it. That’s not the case for most victims of domestic violence though! Conflating “imperfect victims” with “also perpetrators of domestic violence who possibly cut off part of their partner’s finger” is very harmful.

I really disagree. The caring about this trial is another symptom of the rote in American culture. Not caring is the right political move.

These takes are so weird to me. Before this case if you said that a woman in an abusive relationship with a heroin addicted, abusive male star would sometimes fight back…they would have all the support in the world!

Now, they’re vilified for doing such? Policing the behavior of the person whom the facts show was clearly not starting the abuse is terrible.

The Sun only had to prove that they had a credible source for their story. They had a source: Amber Heard. I don’t think she was a remotely credible source, but a judge felt she was credible enough for The Sun to win.

The whole country just watched her get absolutely obliterated on the stand. She’s tied with quite a few other people for least credible person I’ve ever seen after what we all just saw with our own eyes in court.

1 Like

Thats not what happened at all lol. Goofys links state quite clearly Heard was a source on only 30% of claims found to be proven in the UK court. Almost every single one had independent witnesses.

She wasn’t the one fighting back. I don’t understand why some of the people on UP are incapable of imagining a situation where a drug addicted male star who is an objectively terrible judge of character would get victimized by a woman with a personality disorder.

The facts in this particular case are extremely one sided. AH is at best a coequal participant in all of the toxicity of her marriage to JD and the most likely version of events has her as a full bore domestic abuser that occasionally managed to get enough of a rise out of her victim that he was abusive in return.

Some of you want to believe that only men can be abusive in relationships and that’s just wildly incorrect. Some of you also would 1000% believe that a man had used the system to continue to abuse his victim but can’t imagine that a woman would do the same. That’s fine because this is pretty low stakes, but this is the problem with the believe all women angle.

In a superficially (extremely superficially) similar situation we have Marilyn Manson vs Evan Michael Wood. Here we have a man who is definitely guilty of everything he’s been accused of attempting to use the system to crush his victims. People like Amber Heard make things worse for legit victims of domestic violence like Evan Michael Wood in the same way that scumbags like Marilyn Manson make life harder for victims of actual defamation like Johnny Depp.

The only teachable thing I think there is here is that real life is complicated and that everyone needs to be really cognizant that bad people generally don’t tell you that they’re bad people… and that any social movement with real credibility is a target for bad people looking to leach off that credibility, which damages the movement they’re exploiting. Because of this quality control is important.

2 Likes

No one believes only men are abusive. He was a heroin addict with decades of records of abuse. She has no prior history of abuse.

The UK trial found he instigated the abuse.

It’s Evan Rachel Wood fwiw.

I just skimmed through one twitter thread about the Depp/Heard trial and pretty easily identified a slew of Depp shill accounts and maybe one Heard shill account.

Brave sucky new world we live in.

As soon as you see those shill accounts active on a particular topic (think anything involved with Russia for the last decade+), you know you’re really going to have to work to find out the truth.

Those independent witnesses were mostly people Heard told about the abuse at the time it was supposedly happening. All of that got rechecked at the recent trial and nearly all of it got totally discredited.

I don’t think some of you realize the sheer number of black and white provable falsehoods AH said on the stand. This was probably the most brutal obliteration of a witness I’ve ever seen. They had receipts for literally everything. Even the ‘it was the dog’ angle on the poop in the bed is inherently ridiculous. There are pictures of human sized shit on that bed and AH’s claim is that a very small dog (a small breed puppy lolol) produced that. It goes on like that the whole way through.

1 Like

From what I have read, it seems reasonably well established that there was more going on than self-defense from her side. From Vox:

There is also compelling evidence that Heard behaved violently toward Depp over the course of their relationship.

Depp has made public audio recordings of conversations he had with Heard over the course of their relationship. In the recordings, which were first published by the Daily Mail shortly before the UK trial in January 2020, Heard refers to hitting Depp. She says, “I’m sorry that I didn’t … hit you across the face in a proper slap, but I was hitting you, it was not punching you. Babe, you’re not punched. I don’t know what the motion of my actual hand was, but you’re fine, I did not hurt you, I did not punch you, I was hitting you.”

Depp responds that “I just couldn’t take the idea of more physicality, more physical abuse on each other,” warning Heard that “I’m scared to death we are a fucking crime scene right now.” Heard replies, “I can’t promise you I won’t get physical again. God, I fucking sometimes get so mad I lose it.”

In another audio recording during a conversation about the Australia incident, Heard appears to mock the idea that Depp might position himself as a victim.

“I lost a fucking finger, man,” says Depp. “I had a can of mineral spirits thrown at my face.”

“You can tell people it was a fair fight, and then see what the jury and judge thinks,” Heard says. “Tell the world, Johnny. Tell them, ‘Johnny Depp, I, a man, I’m a victim, too, of domestic violence, it’s a fair fight,’ and see how many people believe or side with you.”

In April 2022, Depp’s team presented this recording at the trial in Fairfax during Depp’s testimony. Depp’s lawyer asked him how he responded when Heard proposed he tell the world he was a victim of domestic violence, and Depp replied, “I said, ‘Yes, I am.’”

Depp’s team also leaned on the difference between Depp’s reported history and Heard’s. While Depp has previously been accused of property damage and verbal threats, he’s never before been accused of the kind of violence Heard describes in her account, which previous girlfriends have described as uncharacteristic of him. Heard, however, does have some minor accusations of violence to account for.

In 2009, Heard got into an argument at an airport with her then-girlfriend Tasya van Ree. Police arrested Heard after she allegedly struck van Ree’s arm, but charges were never pressed. Van Ree has released a statement sticking by Heard, saying the incident was blown out of proportion and and chalking it up to what she describes as the cops’ misogyny and homophobia.

And Heard’s former assistant, Kate James, testified in court this April that when she asked Heard for a pay raise, Heard spat in her face.

…

On April 14, Depp’s team called marriage counselor Laurel Anderson to the stand at the Fairfax trial. Anderson, who counseled Depp and Heard during their marriage, said she considered their dynamic to be one of “mutual abuse.”

Anderson testified that she saw Heard bruised after altercations with Depp, and that Heard told her she had initiated physical fights with Depp on multiple occasions. She said she believed, but was not certain, that Depp had also initiated physical fights with Heard.

Most victims of DV are not going around saying stuff like “I can’t promise you I won’t get physical again. God, I fucking sometimes get so mad I lose it.”

Had to google her, then make sure I wasn’t looking at pictures of Johnny Depp. Heard definitely has a type.

So your position is that the UK trial was lazy, didn’t check their facts and got the wrong verdict, whereas the US jury trial, which awarded victory to both sides despite being told explicitly not to do so got it right?

Is BoredSocial the only person itt who actually watched the whole trial? I get the feeling he might be.

1 Like