Depp v Heard

So…Heard’s team had the goods on this one insane conspiratorial allegation by Depp but then threw up their hands and said who knows about all the other insane conspiratorial allegations made by Depp?

I guess someone needs to write an explainer on this shit. It makes no sense to me that simultaneously Heard can be defaming Depp by saying that he abused her and that his lawyer can be defaming Heard by saying the abuse was a hoax.

Regardless of the facts of this case, it seems like a pretty bad precedent that a woman can be sued for claiming abuse and that a jury can make this judgement about a marriage which was admittedly violent, regardless of whether it was actually both-sides or whatever. Like given the typical power dynamics at play it seems like an awful precedent.

1 Like

The finding against Depp was about a specific allegation that Heard conspired with people to frame him for destroying a house or something.

it isn’t remotely as simple as you are making it out to be:

even the sun’s case was kind of legally tenuous, if you read that article - but it doesn’t really bear a whole lot in this trial really. He has to prove damages, which he did, and she has to prove he’s a chronic domestic abuser, which she very obviously didn’t.

1 Like

the whole thing is fucked and i only reluctantly watched it, it seemed unavoidable to me anyway. lots more important things to talk/worry about than two hopelessly wealthy and beautiful assholes beating each other up for the nation’s amusement.

i do think it’s a little silly how people are still knee-jerk defending her. I did too for a while, but it became truly impossible after a point.

2 Likes

I’m really unwilling to rehash this whole trial, there’s dozens of hours of footage and countless analyses of it already. I was interested enough to talk to some lawyer friends about it. no one, from my perspective anyway, ever thought she had a very solid case here and she made multiple severe mistakes during the trial that pretty much were her just completely making up shit.

not gonna clutter up the LC thread w this, sorry, other than to say let’s please not mix up terms here. he throughout the trial shows that he is at the very least emotionally and verbally abusive. I did not see any evidence he was ever physically abusive, which was her main claim. I saw many corroborated claims that SHE was physically abusive, however, which kinda adds up in my head of how this all played out, but whatever, I just wanted to +1 BS’s post because I’ve spent far more hours of my life on this than I wanted to and believe he’s correct.

1 Like

Yeah it seems to me like the jury took it upon themselves to decide whether Depp is the bad guy and Heard is the good guy and decided this was false, but that’s not what is at issue. If they’re both abusive then her allegations are not false. But I haven’t followed the case at all so I could be off. I’ll wait for the Vox explainer or whatever.

1 Like

this is why this place drains me. i said none of that. peace

1 Like

So much this. I’ve never been keen on the TMZ type of news that is so addictive to some people.

EDIT: IIRC, it was Believe Women, not Believe All Women.

1 Like

Literally pro wife beating. No bottom

RIP to something no one said.

Why do I kneejerk defend Heard? Because it was a foregone conclusion that Depp would come out the victim and Heard the villain with whatever the facts are only having an impact on the magnitude, and only slightly at that.

That alone is sufficient. There are other reasons as well: the constant flow of one-line pieces of evidence that “DESTROY” Heard, the body language people.

Depp is a guy who would use heroin, get blackout drunk and destroy shit. Depp’s position is that Heard was engaged in a years long conspiracy with her friends to frame him as a wife beater. One such allegation was the basis for the $2 million judgment to Heard.

The bar for me to believe that there was one villain in that relationship and it wasn’t Depp would take an extraordinary degree of evidence.

1 Like

LITERALLY!

The only people worse than those defending Depp are the ones who proudly need to declare how much they don’t care about it

2 Likes

Nobody has ever asked me this. I have on occasion told them anyway.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/Sharonapple123/status/1532081356905275395

So if she owes him $15m and he owes her $2M, they can’t just cross that off, the lawyers still get a cut of all that right?

Or are these lawyers by the hour?

This posts suggests that “being right” isn’t overly valued in this forum. Hard disagree.

Predictably, character assassination was done within a matter of 2 posts.

There is intense pressure in many discussions here to maneuver arguments to match the worst things the worst politicians are saying.

“Look at this person. They aren’t one of us.” Someone please tell me who us even is?

What is this trial about and what does “being right” mean?

Goofy has nailed it so far

1 Like

These lawyers are as by the hour as it gets.

1 Like

It was just a matter of time until they turned on us:

2 Likes