Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

If you thought Biden was a distant 4th place contestant the day before the SC primary, I don’t know what to tell you.

It was even a story before the primary that Joe had put everything into South Carolina. He had to come out and deny calling it his backstop. The narrative could easily have been “We expected this, Joe had put everything in SC. Let’s see how he does going forward.”

I’m just outlining what I think eye was saying. :grin:

FWIW, I consider this an insult every time you say it, so please stop.

4 Likes

But single payer!

That’s because you have completely lost the plot in favour of tribalism.

1 Like

Or, alternatively, you habitually present yourself as an ally to the left when you’re anything but.

6 Likes

Your pretty tribal though, right? On top of generally dividing the world up into teams and sometimes allowing your team to be as much as half the people in the world, you’re really quick to call lots of people “just like Trumpkins”.

5 Likes

Of course, I’m tribal. All humans are. It’s a question of degree, not kind.

In general, knowing nothing else, I’m going to support the left over the right. That’s tribalism. I’m going to support the secular over the religious. Also tribalism. There are countless other examples.

The difference is that’s not the end of my heuristic.

A few people on this site don’t seem to care about anything but ensuring their membership, in just the right kind of leftist group, is well understood and widely known. They seem to care more about ensuring their membership in that tribe than in actual progressive policies. That’s a level of tribalism I simply don’t think I exhibit.

That’s not to say I’m not tribal. As I said, we all are.

As for the “like a trumpkin” thing it has nothing to do with tribalism. That is a psychological label and I 100% stand by it. Some of the same people I mention above employ precisely the same psychological heuristics as trumpkins to defend their tribalism; media attacks, whataboutism, semantics arguments, bad faith debate, assumptions that literally all people not in the tribe are equally and totally evil, unwillingness to compromise, and a cult of personality.

What I mean is, you’re one of the most tribal people on this forum. You’re also one of the most abusive and simultaneously one of the people who complain the most about discord on this site.

Sorry. Criticism is part of the culture of the left. I’m just being leftist.

7 Likes

Like who? Victor? Having 7 friends and everyone else yelling at him is his tribalism? Maybe he should consider a different tribe.

Or do you mean “virtue signaling” or “self-righteousness” or “smugness”?

(@Vict0ar, I’m 99.9% sure you know I’m not calling you those things)

Agree I can be one of the most abusive. It’s something I am working on. I’ve started by ignoring the people who set me off. I use this site to vent too often. It’s a character flaw, to be sure.

Don’t agree I am the most tribal, at least not by the definition I used above.

@microbet

I honestly have thought a lot about why some of the most leftist people here set me off. I’m not totally sure in all cases. A few I think are genuinely not trying to debate in good faith (e.g. sabo amd Flynn).

On the other hand, people like victoar and Jerry seem to honestly be standing up for their beliefs. I am sure some of what sets me off is they put a mirror up to me and make me question my own political beliefs which isn’t always comfortable. Some of it is I’m frustrated by their unwillingness to compromise. Some of it is I am sometimes just looking for a fight to vent. Like I said it’s character flaw. It’s also likely because they are directly questioning my membership in the tribe, and like so many of us, I get some of my self identity from that membership.

You’ll notice I don’t think I’ve ever reacted the same way to you, for example. I can’t honestly say why other than I’ve built a respect for you over the years.

1 Like

It went really fucking badly for you the last time you said this about me. Bill Maher’s phone number ring a bell?

i’m just flagging this weaponized stupidity from here on out

wat

Eh, gimme a minute.

Victor gets a lot more likes for his posts than people who yell at Victor.

Thanks. I think we have had our moments of discord and trolling, but certainly plenty of interesting discussion as well.

(This is trolling Alex a bit…Something I’ve been guilty of lately… but it’s a bit serious…and I think the default here and everywhere else online is quite ageist in the other direction so I like to push back…here goes) Maybe I manage a little better than some because I’m a real adult, not some thirty-something kid. You’re pretty old too!

1 Like

Starts around here.

1 Like