Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

Adventures in coalition-building from Team Civility.

11 Likes

Ahhh yes people who post snake emojis can never badger others about ummm sexual assault.

It wasnā€™t that she didnā€™t pay her rent.

It was that she lied and deceived people in the past.

I know a lottt of people in marginalized groups who will never vote for president because ā€œnothing will changeā€ please go and tell them how privileged they are. You think the 50%+ of the country doesnā€™t vote because of privilege? You donā€™t think they could use a government that actually helps people?

2 Likes

I think the whole topic of why people donā€™t vote is not really well understood. Hard to separate total ignorance and complacency from knowledgeable complacency.

You are correct itā€™s certainly not privilege driving people from the polls. The why is another debate.

What are the examples of her lying that are presented in the Politico piece?

This whole thing strikes me as having the dynamic of a self fulfilling prophecy. Like, pollsters and consultants make ā€œdata drivenā€ decisions to conclude that because young nonwhites donā€™t vote therefore it is pointless to have candidates that appeal to young nonwhites.

1 Like

Literally everyone lies and deceives people

3 Likes

You are falling for a trap. Itā€™s irrelevant if she lied about something in the past. Every person on earth has done so. We know women donā€™t lie about sexual assault the vast majority of the time. That is why contemporary accounts are such strong evidence. If the standard is ā€œnever liedā€ nobody passes that.

Edit. What crunchy said more economically.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s true, itā€™s complex on why people donā€™t vote. It just feels like peopleā€™s views of others and Bernie bros (whatever the fuck this even means anymore) is solely based off of some small subset of users on twitter which is wild, majority of people I know donā€™t even have a Twitter. None of the DNC or eDems or media are talking about Biden Broā€™s harassing and threatening Tara Reade or constantly harassing ex Bernie staffers (some of you should check out some comments on there from hashtag resistance people) instead they are on their side. Hell they put out an article talking how she didnā€™t always pay her bills to attack her character and simps like Simp just slob all over it. Like this shit constantly happens in this country where the media attacks the character of a victim and people on this forum will notice it when republicans do it but when itā€™s the dems then hey itā€™s ok.

2 Likes

Some people even deceive themselves!

The only things that can possibly be construed as lying in that piece are:

1.) general lies about money (ā€œIā€™ll get on my feet soon, Iā€™ve had successful jobs in the pastā€)

2.) saying she was on the run from domestic abuse in 2008 when she last filed a restraining order in 1996. I have no idea what her personal situation was at that time, and the article doesnā€™t attempt to dig into it further. Itā€™s not the type of claim that Iā€™m going to try to refute for hopefully obvious reasons. Domestic violence and the fallout from it are complicated.

3.) saying she was studying for the bar exam and absconding with some law books lent to her by a landlord. She graduated law school and was struggling with money and I have no reason to doubt she was studying for the bar.

The whole article boils down to a bunch of insos who just cannot believe that an adult woman canā€™t get her shit together to pay rent, so she must be lying. Which is a really great look!

9 Likes

Iā€™m comfortable saying everyone there as well

2 Likes

I didnā€™t read the piece. Just pushing back against the rape apologist/ she was no angel crowd.

3 Likes

I mean I agree itā€™s mostly irrelevant to the accusations, but also the article doesnā€™t even describe her lying! It describes her being poor and having a seemingly dysfunctional adult life which sounds about right for a woman who was sexually assaulted by her boss and abused by her husband a few years later leaving her as a single mom. This woman is an example of all the things that Dems pretend to care about, but when they see an actual example of someone who has lived a shitty scary life they write her off as a lying bitch who probably could use some lessons on bootstraps.

4 Likes

Not me, Iā€™m perfect.

2 Likes

Three people say Reade confided in them after the alleged incident:

1. LaCasse, a neighbor of Readeā€™s in the early 1990s:

ā€œThis happened, and I know it did because I remember talking about it.ā€

She recalled Ms Reade crying while describing her experience as they both shared stories of violence in their lives sometime in 1995 or 1996.

ā€œI remember her saying, here was this person that she was working for and she idolised him,ā€ Ms LaCasse said.

ā€œI remember the skirt. I remember the fingers,ā€ she said. ā€œI remember she was devastated.ā€

ā€œI have to support her just because thatā€™s what happened,ā€ said Ms LaCasse. She said she felt compelled to support Ms Reade because ā€œwe need to stand up and tell the truth.ā€ However, she said she still planned to vote for Mr Biden in the November presidential election.

1. Lorraine Sanchez, a former legislative aide who worked with Ms Reade in the office of a California lawmaker from 1994-96.

Ms Reade had described being mistreated by a former boss.

Ms Reade said ā€œshe had been sexually harassed by her former boss while she was in DCā€, according to Ms Sanchez, who added that she could not remember whether Ms Reade detailed the type of harassment, or named Mr Biden.

1. Ms Readeā€™s brother, Collin Moulton, told the Washington Post that she had told him in 1993 that Mr Biden had touched her neck and shoulders.

Several days after the interview, he added in a text message that he recalled her telling him that Biden had put his hand ā€œunder her clothesā€, the Post reported.

1. Ms Reade said a 1993 phone call to CNN host Larry King also provided a contemporaneous account of her claim. Ms Reade said that a woman who called into the show claiming that her daughter left a job in Washington after ā€œproblemsā€ with a ā€œprominent senatorā€ was her mother, who died in 2016.

Letā€™s unpack these four statements. They have significant factual discrepancies. The only witness that unequivocally stated that they remembered a sexual assault is Ms. LaCasse, who still plans to vote Biden. I find it hard to find much credibility in the witness statement that ā€œmy friend was raped, but Iā€™m still voting for the rapist.ā€ All four statements rely heavily upon the veracity and tendency towards truthfulness of Ms. Reade; something we now know is significantly impaired. There is NO contradiction between an ethic of believe all women and finding Ms. Readeā€™s story not credible.

Believe all women is the ethic that no complaint about sexual assault, DV, or other violence or mistreatment of women should be immediately dismissed. However, when the absolutely necessary thorough examination of the facts, which all victims deserve lest we refuse to give their claims the attention they and justice deserve, do not bear out the claims those claims must be reassessed. It is not saying the Ms. Reade is lying about what happened to her with Biden (traumatic experiences are well known to affect or distort memory and perception, and memory is already an incredibly faulty evidence vault [see the literature on eyewitness testimony, especially from victims]), itā€™s simply saying that her claim is not nearly as credible as many many many other claims, including Dr. Ford, who had none of these pronounced credibility issues and gilded her claims with her convincing performance in her Congressional testimony while Kav came off as EXACTLY the kind of guy that date raped women. Biden is well known as touchy feely and that doesnā€™t help his case here, but none of the other women that have complained about his contact have alleged sexual misconduct; in fact, even the majority of the claims from Readeā€™s own witnesses describe conduct more consistent with inappropriate contact (hand on shoulders or hair) as opposed to rape.

Please proceed, governor.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been poor and had to scramble to pay bills, and Iā€™ve known many poor folks down on their luck struggling to make ends meet.

Iā€™ve never known of someone that went to Reade/McCabeā€™s lengths.

It obviously shows she has a capacity to grandiosity in ways that hurt people that have a trust relationship with her. These werenā€™t faceless landlords she was screwing.

Iā€™ve never had a friend/acquaintance and almost never heard of anyone that adopted fake names to lie and cheat people out of money.

If someone did what Reade did in the poker world theyā€™d get reamed worse than Eli.

Obviously all lying and deceiving isnā€™t created equal.