Democratic Primaries 2020 - Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

This is moronic. Firstly if ‘mean people on twitter’ is the shaping force of your political beliefs then what use are you? How can anyone rely on you to push for anything with conviction if bernie bros yelling causes you to change your policy positions one iota. Secondly, no one said a word to union members. I’m sure some voiced their displease at the management for selling out their members but the general opinion that I saw was that it was a shame but pragmatic for unions to be in survival mode. No progressive candidate got called a rat and warren pulled the ultimate snake move to vindicate every emoji thrown her way. How do you unify a party whose entire leadership from top to bottom is materially opposed to everything about you?

4 Likes

Clown post bro

2 Likes

The real world is not on twitter, but organizers, activists, and community leaders are. Their decisions and actions have a huge impact on votes. After all, there must have been SOME mechanism by which Biden went from 20% support to 55% in many states in a matter of days. I’d argue that social media strategy, especially when it comes to forging alliances and expanding a coaltion, is a bigger factor than you’re willing to admit.

1 Like

I definitely think its way easier to run online and scream about corruption than it is to look in the mirror and consider what could have been done differently. And I say that as someone who largely responded to Biden’s rise by running online to scream about corruption.

10 Likes

“Mean people” may or may not be where MY beliefs come from, but it shouldn’t exactly surprise you that 95% of people will be more swayed by emotion than logical facts. Antagonization is not the path to victory.

2 Likes

Haha ok you got me, let me rephrase: Antagonization is not the path to victory for the left.

However, even Trump knows not to attack people that praise him.

2 Likes

Yeah community organizers, activists and social media expertise catapulted Biden. Dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time.

2 Likes

I mean you’d like us to be nicer to you, I get that. Would it have gotten you to support bernie? Only you know the answer to that, but I suspect that it wouldn’t have.

And why did so few of those voters migrate to Bernie despite his supporters being so certain for months that they would? Why did Bernie fail to convince Warren to drop out and endorse him the way Biden convinced the others?

More like there was almost an entire month where Bernie’s campaign had the opportunity to seize control, and when he failed to do so, Biden’s half-deceased corpse filled the gap.

He couldn’t seize control because most Americans want a really bad President regardless of whether they’re Republicans or Democrats. Bernie had a huge handicap in not being a slimy jackass.

4 Likes

It’s sort of exactly this, if 70% of democrats want a terrible candidate who can’t win, then they’ll get a terrible candidate that can’t win.

The issue is the ratio of americans who are over 65 to americans who are under 65 is already high and is going to continue to increase for at least 20 years. It’s going to cause a lot of problems that the market simply can’t fix.

One of us is clearly misremembering, because my recollection is that after New Hampshire, when the media tried to claim the results showed that 65% of “moderates” voted against Bernie and the left, the Berniesphere was rightly outraged against the concept.

1 Like

I think that the only reasonable answer is that people were mean on twitter

1 Like

Bernie was a terrible candidate. Not like the sharp, energetic Uncle Joe Hiden.

4 Likes
1 Like

Bernie was such a bad candidate he couldn’t beat Hillary or Joe. Ha ha ha ha. But I really think everyone should get decent health care, I swear!

5 Likes

Taking on the media, oligarchs, and Americans stupidity is a fucking monumental task. I really wonder what their play will be when demographics do start to shift.

2 Likes

You can think both Bernie could have done way better but also he wasn’t a shitty candidate.

Like Bernie had some leaks, he misplayed many hands, but he was still far and away the best player at the table. He was just facing props who were banked by the house and the entire table colluding against him.

But yes it is going to take someone like AOC to overcome all that shit and it still might not be enough. We need someone who is willing to go hard as fuck against the establishment and we also need demographics to shift. I don’t think even a perfect progressive candidate could have pulled it off this cycle judging by the results.