Democratic Primaries 2020 - Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Rogan is disgusting but the whole thing is amusing to me. Centrist dems are always convinced they’ll get the vote of the Rogans of the world by triangulating their policy positions and insisting they aren’t one of those democrats (ie. they will back down on every controversial issue).

Meanwhile, surprise, surprise swing voters are more likely to go with the person who is maybe far to the left or right of themselves when the candidate shows both confidence and determination in his beliefs.

Its like expecting the woman to choose the guy who is trying to woo her by feigning interest in her favorite TV shows and music and altering his personality etc… over the guy confident in himself and who he is.

1 Like

Rogan has been the sort to oppose identity politics, political correctness, and “SJWs”. (See, for example, his opposition to Milo Yiannopoulos being banned on Twitter.) There’s certainly a chance that he says something in the future that will cause the Sanders campaign to want to distance itself from him. Will there be people in the media or otherwise who try to goad Rogan into talking a lot on these issues in the hopes that he will say something embarrassing?

I’m trying to figure out why Rogan wants to support Bernie. It doesn’t seem to be based on any policies. It seems to be more that he likes Bernie as a person. It’s the whole “who would you rather have a beer with” criterion. Bernie’s nicer than Trump and doesn’t trigger Rogan’s distaste for identity politics. Is Rogan just going for the not-Trump who makes him feel like he’s not being attacked for any heterodox views he might have on race or gender? Am I wrong, or is Rogan the kind of guy who probably thinks that accusing people of racism is as big of a problem as racism?

Which just goes to my claim that narrative matters more than policy. People who keep touting that specific Democratic policies poll well just don’t understand this point. A lot of people decide who to vote for based on who they think is most in line with what they consider to be “common sense”. The problem being that a lot of people are morons and their idea of common sense is rubbish.

Does this suggest that the most potent line of attack on Trump is to point out that he is a narcissist and a liar instead of noting that he is a racist and a sexist? I like pointing out that Trump cheats at golf and eats well-done steak because he’s no different from other Republicans when it comes to matters of race and gender, but he is significantly worse than other Republicans when it comes to his honor, integrity, and taste.

New NYT poll of Iowa. Looks like Bernie has it in the bag. Very likely that a win of this size in Iowa ends with him being the nominee.

1 Like

I feel like this too big of an understatement to go ignored. Rogan is obsessed with “SJWs” and the “blue-haired woman on Twitter” saying there are 13 genders. Last time I saw a bit of one of his podcasts he joked out of nowhere that male feminists are “betas” with messed up brains.

Rogan is really fucking toxic and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that his podcast has been a significant gateway to the anti-“SJW” wing of the alt-right.

2 Likes

This thread is exactly why the Dem party sucks and is getting their ass kicked everywhere that matters.

Hey look it’s a chance to bring Rogan and tens of millions of a very mixed political crowd (i get that they are mostly white guys but they are not even close to all alt-right and there are listeners on all sides of the political spectrum) into the progressive fold. YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO CEDE ZERO POLITICAL/MORAL GROUND HERE, JUST DON’T MAKE IT A BIG FUCKING DEAL FOR ONCE GETTING ON YOUR HIGH HORSE EVISCERATING SOMEONE FOR EVERYTHING YOU CAN FIND. Nahh fuck that lets completely alienate them by calling them alt-right and proud boys. By Rogan’s next podcast he will be walking this back saying he was just considering Bernie not endorsing him. He will also, rightfully so, have a huge chip on his shoulder against the left. So good job, you made an enemy out of one of, if not the most, influential media figures of 2020.

It’s literally like some of you guys want to lose. You would rather be “right” than fight a winning fight. Fuck off.

10 Likes

It is pretty remarkable that every cycle we hear about how the moderate Dem du jour can pick up disaffected moderate Republicans from Virginia and the Philly suburbs, and that’s held up as the fucking reason we NEED to elect them. But when a gross podcast host says he likes Bernie, this is the reaction.

Like, what kind of people did everyone think those Main Line Republicans for Clinton would be? And the argument in 2016 wasn’t just that it would be nice to pick up those votes, it was that we needed a candidate who actively catered and appealed to those people. Being too liberal might scare them off!

All of these attacks are just so fucking transparently dishonest.

14 Likes

Joe doesn’t push back against any of his guests.

That wouldn’t only involve Iraq though.

I’ve seen a couple clips where he says he is for free college as well. Also called people pieces of shit who are ok with child separation and people dying from lack of free health care.

2 Likes

Guys it’s stockholm syndrome 101. You yell and scream at racists, sexists and general assholes to shame them buuuut when they start recanting you need to be super nice to them and coax them over to you. It’s like you’ve never kept someone locked in a basement to make them love you before.

5 Likes

So the intent was to have one thread for petty derails and one for actual news?

We’re just going to end up with two threads with petty derails.

3 Likes

GO PETE GO! (For second.)

Pretty huge if Biden comes in third or, OMG one time please please fourth! Like I’m guessing the MOE is 3-4 points, and it’s probably more likely this is a bit of an outlier and Biden is at like 20%, but if Biden comes in third or fourth in Iowa, he’s probably coming in fourth in New Hampshire… you’d then expect Bernie to win Nevada, and if Bernie goes 1-1-1 and Biden goes like 3-4-2, that could end his campaign before SC or weaken it enough for Bernie to put up a much stronger than expected showing in South Carolina, which would be massive and make Bernie a significant favorite.

The key is that if Biden’s candidacy is wounded in IA and NH, Bernie is probably going to get a lot more of the African-American voters in SC than Buttigieg is, so the race shapes up quite a bit differently and Bernie’s coalition widens quite a bit. It then probably turns into a three way race between Bernie, Liz and Pete.

By the way, interestingly, in a scenario like that, Booker is probably going to regret dropping out.

More likely it’s an outlier and Bernie and Biden go 1-2 in Iowa, and things play out about as expected in the first few states.

But he made a semi-edgy joke about Hillary turning tricks for campaign donations soooooo

2 Likes

Biden is never dropping out before SC.

Regarding Joe Rogan, a few things:

1. Not all of the people who consume some of his content are part of this toxic crowd that is being spoken of. (If this is getting you triggered, make sure you read the rest of #1 and #2.) For example, he has on some experts in their field and does long interviews with them and gets way in depth. I was interested in eating broccoli sprouts for their numerous health benefits, and a woman called Dr. Rhonda Patrick is like THE broccoli sprouts expert. He had her on for a long interview and I watched some of it on YouTube looking for specific information. This is one of a few times I’ve stumbled onto his YouTube looking for content of a specific person who ended up having been his guest.

2. There’s definitely a toxicity about a lot of his content/audience. I had a friend who I cut out of my life in 2017 for a handful of reasons, but basically the dude was just a toxic macho bro guy who was really annoying to me and could never let an argument go. He also thought Trump was hilarious and would be harmless, I could have made a big bet with him that people would end up in cages but I couldn’t live with myself making money that way. Obviously I should have taken the bet and donated it to charity. Anyway, this guy LOVES Joe Rogan. I didn’t know much about him at the time, and my buddy really wanted to go see a comedy show of his in Philly and hang out, so I agreed. At this point in time, I basically only knew Rogan as the Fear Factor guy. There were definitely a number of cringe moments during the routine for me, and each time my buddy was cracking up and loved it. The biggest cringe thing was the crowd. As soon as we got near the theatre and were walking in, I knew I had fucked up and was in for an annoying evening. It was like allllllllllll dudes. Barely a couple there, no groups of women, and the jokes/comments you could overhear made me uncomfortable being part of that crowd.

3. Lots of these people will vote for a staunchly liberal candidate who doesn’t lecture them about the ills of their views on progressive social issues, then ignore it as that candidate does a bunch of great stuff on those issues along with the Medicare for All type stuff. Should we cater to them? Obviously not. Should we discourage their votes and support? I don’t know for sure, it’s a fair debate, but I think not. It’s complicated.

I mean, Rogan also said this, which is left of and stronger than what probably 95% of elected Dems in Congress would say about these issues:

Like, can you even imagine Joe Biden or Chuck Schumer or insert prominent eDem here saying of family separation, “If that doesn’t freak you the fuck out, you’re not a part of the team man, you’re missing it… What are we here for? We’re here for 100 years of whatever. If you want to spend a hundred years saying, ‘Hey she shouldn’t have fucking broke the law,’ I don’t want you on the team, you’re an asshole. I don’t give a fuck if you’re right or left, I don’t care if you’re religious, I don’t care if you’re an atheist, if that’s what you support, you’re an asshole and we don’t want you on our team.”

He goes on to basically say he’s glad AOC won even if he disagrees on issues with her, because she’s getting money out of politics and represents the people in her district, not the money.

Now I’m sure people can dig up a bunch of absolutely TERRIBLE things he has said or his guests have said without him pushing back, and I get that, and the left should have a discussion of this kind of stuff, but if we want to make big changes in the next decade, we probably need the support of these types of people.

1. Catfacemeowmers nailed it with this:

I play poker with a handful of these dudes on the regular, like literally Trump voters who either fit that country club suburban Philly stereotype right down to the private golf course pullover or the Joe Rogan listener South Philly type.

The country club types are almost strictly voting on finances, so if we want to woo them with Joe Biden and promises not to raise their taxes, we can try, but at the end of the day, the teeny tiny difference between Biden’s tax plans and Trump’s tax plans may be a bridge too far and they may be in for four more years. This way we don’t get the Joe Rogan endorsement for the candidate, and we may feel morally superior in that regard, but if you think those voters aren’t spewing their toxic masculinity every time there aren’t women around, I don’t know what to tell you.

Some of the Rogan types will go for Bernie, because they really only care about 2-3 issues, and they tend to be stuff like getting money out of politics. I actually had a quiet conversation at the table with one of these types recently. He’s an Obama-Trump voter who I have considering Bernie if he wins the nomination. I had to ignore some comments during the back and forth about various issues that I really didn’t like ignoring, but by focusing on healthcare, getting money out of politics, honesty of the candidate, and just being a good person who’s not going to rip families apart, I was able to get through to him a bit. He viewed Trump as a necessary brick through the window even though he thinks he’s an asshole, and if his choice is to pick that same brick up and throw it again or to pick up a nicer brick and throw it, he’ll take the nicer brick, but he’s not voting for Joe Biden or Pete Buttigieg.

1. Joe Rogan’s overall political views may surprise some people. Like, I’ve seen < 10 YouTube videos of this guy totaling < 60 minutes in my life, and I can tell you he’s for socialized healthcare and improving and further socializing education. He’s for less bombs. He’s not randomly endorsing Bernie… His views actually match up with the liberal wing of the Democratic party on a lot of issues.

If you ask me, the question is not whether we should seek or accept these endorsements, it’s whether we should promote them and celebrate them. There’s a moral question to it and a risk-reward question. Bernie may have alienated some supporters and sent the wrong message to them… But bottom line: if we start getting a significant percentage (maybe even like 10-15% counts) of votes from this archetype of voter over the next decade, 60 seats in the Senate are back in play and just dominating the political landscape is in play. If the Faustian bargain is to not lecture them about their bigotry and sexism, and then to placate them with policies we want to enact anyway (Medicare for All, getting money out of politics, progressive tax policy) while doing the right thing on all of those social issues… That doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me. Instead of giving them someone to blame for their problems, we fix their problems (which happen to be things we want to do anyway) and do the right thing on those social issues while hoping that their bigotry is reduced when their economic situation improves.

And, listen, if they don’t like it, they can vote for someone else next time and we should tell them to fuck off at that point. Nobody is saying we should be on bended knee on social policy for these voters.

15 Likes

Have a blessed day

wat

there’s an old thread for your bullshit

you were gonna drop some takes on race then thought better of it right?

I was going to drop takes on race?

Tell me more PoC rabbit-hole spelunker?

dog

and i wasn’t joking, there’s a question from me to you still sitting there

and lol at leaving off the ‘centrist’ part, just a heads up, i’m way way better at this than you

Most dem candidates do the following (mostly in regards to policy) to get the “moderates”

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=21

Bernie doesn’t do that and might get the support and Dems lose their mind

2 Likes