Democratic Primaries 2020 - Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Yeah, Biden only has a chance in the hypothetical where you lock him in a cupboard until November and that somehow gets you votes. He is not good at campaigning. Just actively bad at it. The last two Dem Presidents you had were very, very good at campaigning. Other than Bernie, is there anyone in this field you would say is good at this? Steyer and Yang maybe get some points for coming out better than they began, but everyone else is in a worse place then when they began, depending on how you feel about Klobmentum.

At a pub quiz here in Straya and between rounds they have a thing called “Humanagram” which is just an anagram of a celebrity’s name you have to solve. This week it’s DIE BARRENNESS :slight_smile:

Edit: A team member pointed out that a better one is BARE NERDINESS.

https://twitter.com/HeheWaitWhut/status/1230390990256537601?s=19

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CaraKorte/status/1230358484165619712?s=19

2 Likes

4 Likes

I think the Warren from last night is the authentic Warren, and the watered down version that lost her toehold on the nomination was the over-consulted to version. One of the worst features of modern American politics (and there are a lot of bad features) is that there is a large consulting class that hovers around candidates looking to hoover up their money in exchange for terrible inside-the-beltway recommendations that largely amount to moving to the middle to where lobbyists can make more money. When people complain about lack of sincerity in federal politicians, a lot of it comes from this consulting class and their outsized influence. They polish up candidates to be appealing to insiders, which is almost diametrically opposed to what is appealing to the general public.

23 Likes

@BestOf

I 1000% agree. Polling has absolutely ruined politics for the last 30-40 years. The idea that you make decisions on the basis of whether it’s popular before implementation needs to be killed with fire. So does politicians listening to messaging consultants who are busy telling them how to sound more presidential.

I’m going to let you guys in on a little secret: My wife thinks the way I talk on the phone is completely unprofessional and it cringes her the fuck out. Meanwhile I make a small fortune brokering trucks and my customers think I’m better than sliced bread. So do the trucks. Why? Because I’m seriously as far from a corporate company man as possible and I’m ruthlessly honest with people. You guys know exactly how I sound because it’s how I sound here. If something is bad I call it bad, if something is good I call it good, and when people tell me to be more professional I tell them that accusing me of sounding unprofessional is the last defense of the incompetent.

I believe so strongly in my own personal communication style that I’m going to start a fucking business podcast with cwar from 2p2 sometime in the next few months. Not only do I think it works, but I think it’s fucking gold.

2 Likes

These are the people who are truly terrified by sanders and the idea that they might have to get actual jobs.

5 Likes

I mean that’s great and all, but my guess is that felons will vote at a rate of approximately .0001 percent.

Idk, it’s been a big enough issue here any rationally acting campaign will be working to get them registered. We’re talking about a million and a half mostly black mostly older mostly men. I think you’re off by an order of magnitude or 2.

1 Like

Bernie is just smart and experienced enough to tell these people to scram.

Jman may have an exaggerated point, but also don’t expect them to all be liberals.

I’d be shocked if Bernie’s campaign wasn’t already aggressively working that cohort

In Florida it was estimated that 21% of adult black males were disenfranchised. Florida is far from a progressive powerhouse but we got 60% to restore rights because of the following: to apply one had to be crime free out of prison for 7 years; then they could apply to get rights restored and the average wait time to consider the application was about 3 years; I forget the exact statistics for actual restoration of rights but it was something comical of like 10% had a review hearing and 20% had rights restored, literally sub-10%. Yes its true that white ex-felons are more likely to vote team red than team blue, but you got to understand what a racist shithole the Florida justice system is.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1230509258044821504?s=19

3 Likes

Guess who owns the paper this was printed in?

2 Likes

The one whom we shall not speak his name.

1 Like

The thought of him being on the hook for 2.3B in tax liabilities has me aroused. I’m not going to lie.

I will concede I may be off by two magnitudes and it may actually be a rate of .01 percent.

Your original number was probably correct. The FL GOP will gin up enough fear among ex felons that they will be intimidated into not registering no matter what the courts rule. If you were an ex con would you want to risk another felony case and more prison time just to cast a vote?