Dealing with Deplorable Family and Friends

Yah, I don’t think he’s that deplorable, and probably not an idiot. Unfollow just means that I won’t specifically see his posts on my feed, but I didn’t unfriend, and would still engage with him in the future if he messaged me.

Don’t ever bring up race around these people, 80% of their grievance is about it. The other 20% is equally divided between the gays, women, poors. The latter of course is more race.

Expat tends to be associated with white-collar jobs. Migrant tends to be associated with low-wage jobs.

White-collar jobs tend to be connected with white people while the latter are brown or black. So there’s a racial component to the use of the words. Sometimes, I have to remind my mother of this if she goes off on one of her racist rants.

Another important difference in how they are functionally used is that expats almost always intend to return to their country of origin at some point. Migrants often don’t.

1 Like

Maybe you’re worth 100 million or something but if not, what part of the reunion would you expect to be painful enough that being given 5K wouldn’t make up for it?

You don’t need to be worth nearly that much for 5K not to be worth it. If you’re gonna have to get on a plane, you’re probably looking at 2-3 days including travel. I could easily see someone making 500K to 1 million/yr value their free time more and take a pass on that. And while that’s a lot of income, those folks are almost never gonna be worth 100 million.

/nittery

Okay, fair point. I went to one reunion and it was 20 miles away and it ended up at an ale house having drinks with old friends and a PE teacher. Hopping on a plane for that would be redic.

Had a coworker turn on Fox News radio in the car the other day (he’s like “yea it’s biased but so is cnn”), and within minutes he’s just fuming mad. Like I could feel the anger radiating off of him, and of course, this is what he wanted to listen to. I got back in the car a few hours later and he’s listening to a biden press conference and basically shaking with anger. Why the hell would anyone listen to a biden press conference?

2 Likes
1 Like

i used to turn on bill’o and some rw am radio to know what’s going on in their lizzard brains, but there’s just no way i could keep the rage going for so long. it’s just plain unhealthy.

there’s probably something to reading a conservative book for the exercise of pointing out where their arguments are failing, but after one (maaaybe two) books, there are far more productive ways to spend your time.

No idea how people watch or read anything right-wing. It’s either boring as hell or rage-inducing.

This guy had a diff cut to his jib.

1 Like

Hell if I was making 500k a year I’d absolutely go to my high school reunion just to rub it in their faces.

No, I’m not insecure about myself, why do you ask?

500K is probably not quite enough to be rubbing it in without restraint. That’s not even top 1%. You are not at all unlikely to run into someone who makes even more, which probably won’t end well. I guess it depends on where you went to high school, tho.

If I was making 500k, I’d be enjoying my life not going to a high school reunion

4 Likes

What if you lived in NYC and had 2 children? You could barely survive!

7 Likes

David Roth had the perfect encapsulation of 24 hours a day of Fox News which also applies to the RW Radio ecosystem and such.

“The goal is to keep you in a constant state of simmering anger, but also slightly confused as to why you’re angry”

2 Likes

Gotta say that this place is way better without Trumpbot.

When he gets reelected in 2024 and recovers his Twitter account, I propose that we keep the bot away from here.

3 Likes

Something else I noticed with my coworker is that he really wasn’t quite able to follow what was being said on the radio. The hosts seem to play into that by spending as much time talking about random hypotheticals as they do about the actual world. Kinda like, “biden said x, but what if he had said y instead?” Then my coworker would get mad and say “I can’t believe biden said y!”

Rush was completely incoherent most of the time. He pioneered the mean-spirited insults that are now a staple of the genre. He was making fun of Chelsea Clinton for looking like a horse when she was like 14 years old.