Dealing with Deplorable Family and Friends

Careful now. Logic is the devil’s work. You start with that shit and pretty soon you’re talking about facts and reason. You want to go to hell?

1 Like

But that’s where all my friends will be

2 Likes

One thing I heard from boss man at a factory job once, “There’s a difference between those that want to work and those that need to work.”

They recognize who they can squeeze real quick.

It’s certainly true in Australia.

1 Like

Well that makes sense as when it started the question was, “What did you do?”

Day after the storming, while dropping off her groceries, I asked my mom if she had any mea culpa for me.

“For what?”
“For the whole Capitol thing?!?”
“That was ANTIFA!”
“Oh my god. I swear Mom, this is where it gets to where I don’t want anything to do with you.”
“Oh honey, no. Not again.”
“Here, I want to show you some things.”

And then from there, due to this place’s awesome aggregation, I showed her a quick rundown of some of the eyewitness stuff that had been linked. Now this isn’t the first time I’ve sat down with her in front of the computer and shown her things. But this time was different.

After almost an hour of me showing diff clips, pausing along the way for personal monologues and back and forth Q and A, she asked me to turn it off and said she was tired of all the anger and hate she was seeing. I reiterated a few things softly to close the sale for the day and called it good.

Came back the next day to deliver the second half of her groceries after shopping (stimulus had her stocking up) and she said she wanted to talk to me. Said she’d been thinking all night about things and she was done with politics. That they’re all crooks and she’s through. Said 75% of congress is probably corrupt, I said it’s higher except for Bernie — and he’s naïve, which she nodded to.

She tried to put up some half-hearted defenses the day prior but all my wearing her down has had an effect, she knows who Trump is but it took this final act of overt hubris to seal the deal. The split between what she was told on Fox and the reality I showed was too much to deny also. She now knows everyone but me has been lying to her all along.

36 Likes

I’m an only child and my mom is a widow so this relationship is super important to both of us.

I’m really optimistic about how I’m going to be able to look at her again. It’s already coming back.

19 Likes

You unstuck your mom.

Be careful though, the “everybody sucks” crowd is usually insincere both-sidesing from Trumpers. It’s actually true, but the criticism means two entirely different things depending on whether it comes from the right or left. “I’m not political” and “everybody is terrible” are red flags for Southparkers who manage to nonetheless support the worst people.

Nonetheless, this is an improvement and you are a hero for showing that kind of love and possibly rescuing someone who seemed unrecoverable.

7 Likes

@BestOf

tweet this on our twitter account, that’s a great story. I am hoping to convert some people using stuff from here too.

8 Likes

10000% this. And my relatives, all European migrants, will never raise jobs and yet every Anglo-Australian I meet instantly does.

2 Likes

I was going to add a caveat in there for @Narrator w/ a final paragraph where I’d set up the punchline but didn’t really come together and would’ve tainted the tone.

She’s a D in all ways but brand loyalty. She chose R at 18 on a census largely bc her mom (a lifelong D who was a R in every way, especially as the parties evolved) and the household (of jerks) was all California D’s. She picked her party the way a family of asshole Yankee fans might beget a Mets fan. She then ended up with my dad (an eventual bog-standard deplorable) during Carter’s presidency.

Trump’s big appeal is that it tapped into the way Reagan made her feel. We sat down a few years back and every single issue she leaned D. Your points in general are valid but she’s closer to suzzer then what you’re envisioning. I can read her like it’s nothing too.

I don’t expect her to be a card carrying D, I just want her out of the cult.

2 Likes

This is so true. My mom is a “both sides suck” Trumper and my best friend from HS “hates politics.” “Politics sucks and is for idiot plebs but also insert every republican talking point about Trump not AKSHULLY being a racist and really loving and standing up for MURICA.”

3 Likes

I’ve never met a both-sides-suck-er who leans anything but hard right.

4 Likes

Depends how you define “sides.”

To the general public, that’s most of us here (Sides = Parties).

You are probably also talking about those who aren’t politically inclined (pre-Trump).

Don’t know how many 20+ year hardcore Fox viewers (her) would say both sides suck (including Trump).

I know I’m setting myself up for potential disappointment.

Simply giving a more accurate picture to my anecdote that the convo spurred. She’s already watched DW (BBC before) and Al Jazeera for years. It’s why the Trump loyalty was so confounding: she should know better.

Maybe it’s the way it’s said. Anyone who leads with “both sides suck man” is always right. Lefties just complain about neoliberals or something. They don’t lead with “both sides suck”.

Well conservatives are being disingenuous and liberals know to keep it to like-minded company or you’re hurting the cause.

You know any liberals that tell everyone they’re really classical conservatives or watev?

eta on a reread:

Sure, bc it’s self-evident.

1 Like

Both groups are correct that the politicians are using them and aren’t true believers ftmp.

In Australia I’ve never met one either. Also never met a ‘not telling you who I voted for’ who didn’t vote right.