Cricket Thread

Yep, trying to break the habit of saying innings and pitches and outs.

I haven’t quite figured out the deal with “wide” pitches. Like, clearly it’s ok that the bowler (see?!) wings it way to the side of the stumps. But sometimes it’s too much, and I’m not sure exactly what the strike zone is. Also it seems like they can still swing at the wild pitches and if you get runs you keep them plus a penalty wide run, AND get a free ball which feels very OP (see that USA#1 super overtime inning).

But yeah, I can’t quite figure out how high is too high and how wide is too wide.

Three reasons a delivery would be called wide.

1. The delivery goes behind the batter.

2. In front of the batter there’s a line in the pitch that determines if it’s too far outside (although the bowler gets extra leeway if the batter moves forward in the bowlers run-up).

3. The ball passes passes over the batter’s head (and not due to the batter ducking).

In all cases for it to be a wide it can’t have touched the batter or their bat.

3 Likes

The stumps (the 3 sticks behind the batter) are your strike zone.
The area on the “off” side (I.e.) the side where the batters legs are facing between these stumps and a white guideline marked on the pitch is a fair delivery. Deliveries that land further than that are “wides” as are deliveries that bounce too high “clearly above the head”.

A wide is a penalty run (called an extra) for the batting side and the ball doesn’t count.

Bowlers will often aim to bowl so that the ball is just inside that guideline so that it’s as far away from the batter as possible and thus making it hard to hit with power while still being a legal delivery. At times they will fail but strategically it might be better at times than bowling something that gets hit for 4 or 6.

Edit: even if it lands beyond the white line, it’s not a wide if the batter does manage to hit it.

Also meant to reply to the thread in general. Apologies @Mendoza

1 Like

Awesome, ty. I guess in that extra over they got the extra + 1 or 2 runs because the…catcher (sorry!) couldn’t field it and they took off running.

I assume you could still get run out on a midfielded wide?

In terms of running (and also the ball going to the boundary) a wide is no different than if the ball goes off the bat or pad or is a legal delivery that misses everything.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s true of every sport, but watching a match come down to the last balls was a whole different experience. Seems like the T20 format must be good for generating more close matches.

Bingo! Which is why it’s probably the most accessible format for new fans

Catcher → wicket keeper
And exactly right, if he’d gathered the ball cleanly, they probably don’t risk the extra run and if they do he might have been in a position to run the batter out by throwing down the stumps.

1 Like

Having a name for every 6 inches that a fielder can stand on is the opposite on the accessibility meter.

1 Like

Cricket fielding positions for me are like certain grammatical structures in a language you are learning: reading or listening I grasp the meaning most of the time but I have zero confidence to get it right on my own.

Square leg slip skipper

The funniest thing is that the Family Guy skit on cricket is completely accurate in regards to terminology.

Well done USA. Makes the Pakistan vs India game massive for Pakistan.

Would laugh if India beat Pakistan then tanked the USA game to prevent Pakistan from progressing.

I assume this isn’t an actual thing that happens in cricket. I’ve seen plenty of spots for this type of strat in group-based competitions but nobody ever seems to do it so I assume it’d be a sportsmanship faux pas here too.

New Zealand is live to not match Uganda’s total of 58 against Afghanistan

43/6 now

I barely follow cricket, so I’ve got no idea. Are all the powerhouses sending their A-teams to this donkament?

“A” denotes a team consisting of players not selected for the main squad. So no.

OK, let me rephrase. Are they sending their best players?

Yes, of course.

West Indies has had a few players in recent years opt out of playing much international cricket because their board is completely broke and it was far more lucrative for them to focus on playing as many T20 franchise leagues as they could.

(Each cricketing country, USA included, has a league that lasts a few months so there’s at least one going on pretty much year round except when a world cup is happening.)

What channel is this bullshit on?