Cricket Thread

Seeing as how this tournament is the greatest opportunity to grow cricket in the US the ICC has ensured that all matches are being streamed free on YouTube and are getting coverage on prominent US sports networks.

Just kidding its all on a PPV channel called WillowTV

4 Likes

Nah this is confusing trying to use baseball terms to teach cricket. The way I explain it to people is that the ā€œstrike zoneā€ is literally anywhere the batter can reach. Then thereā€™s a second smaller super strike zone where if you throw it there and the batter misses itā€™s an automatic out.

1 Like

There isnā€™t really the idea of strikes though is there? Instead, there is a limited number of balls to play in some forms? I think just saying the batsman is trying to defend the wicket, if it is knocked over itā€™s an out. Is pretty clear, harder to explain why they donā€™t bend their arms when they bowlā€¦

How do purists feel about the shortened T20 format?

Every older English guy Iā€™ve met hates it.

T10 exists and there are a few franchise tournaments that have had prominent cricketers participate but they have a reputation for match fixing.

South Africa 16/4 six overs in against Netherlands chasing 104 lol.

Technically itā€™s 2 games. The US is currently top of their group having also defeated arch rivals Canada in the tournament opener!
And jokes apart have a decent chance of making the super 8s (playoffs) if they beat Ireland which Iā€™d give them a slight edge given Irelandā€™s two games played so far.(including a loss to Canada)

Been a history of it in the past.

In 1999 Australia needed to win their last game to advance against West Indies.

They batted first and made 110 in a 50 over game (terrible score)

When chasing we batted as slow as we could because it woukd work out better if West Indies advance on % over New Zealand. After making the runs in a slow chase it didnt matter anyway (NZ won by heaps to also advance, but Australia won the cup)

1 Like

The live blog from 25 years ago should be in the Louvre.

Australia has the chance to do that again this time.

If England beats Namibia and Oman, and Australia beats Scotland, it will come down to net run rate between Scotland and England.

Run rate is used as a tiebreaker over beating the team you are tied with head to head?

Iā€™m 99% sure itā€™s net run rate but a cursory google search was unhelpful.

In the case of Scotland and England their match was rained out so thereā€™d be no head-to-head record to go off of.

So if WI had advanced, Australia gets to carry forward a 1-1 record but if NZ advanced, they are 0-2?

Thatā€™s a massive problem with the tournament structure. I find it difficult to hate on it when the rules of the tournament make it advantageous to play sub-optimally in a given game.

Itā€™s like that 2012 Olympic badminton controversy.

That World Cup had one of the classic match endings.

In a semifinal against Australia South Africa was down to their last wicket and needed only one run off the last four deliveries.

Probably the greatest miscommunication in sports history.

South Africa has yet to reach a final in either T20 or ODI world cups.

The final between Australia and Pakistan is the first cricket match I ever saw on TV. Late night on Fox Sports World when I was 11.

Correct and the rules were changed for the next edition.

They really should allow for re-plays of matches that are rained out. Absurd for teams to be eliminated in a World Cup because of rain.

Limited TV operators/flightā€™s etc built around the TV dollar.

1992 South Africa vs England semi final if you want a good laugh

If youā€™d told me USA would be three wickets down nine overs in Iā€™d have taken it.