COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

I don’t think this is accurate. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “liberal elites” but the liberal elites as I understand them (like say the Democrats in the US or the Liberal party in Canada) aren’t being nearly forceful enough with the antivaxxers. I see way more accommodation for the antivaxxers than I see yelling at them.

1 Like

Fair. I still think getting covid is enough of a reality check that most anti-vaxxers will want this pill if they are high risk.

Liberal elites are just a rando who said something mean on the internet that then gets baselessly generalized to all liberals. Elites have nothing to do with actual status or power. It’s just to otherize liberals.

1 Like

Im not arguing to go around calling unvaccinated people pieces of shit to try and get them to vaccinate.

You should probably get a booster FWIW, why arent you planning to get one out of curiousity? Given Omicron and 4 months past infection and the possibility of waning, seems like the risk reward is in favor of getting one within the next month or so. Data on repeated reinfections is somewhat mixed and your third shot vax risk is still super low.

The same stupidity, selfishness and asshattery also happens in countries without a two-party system.

Yes everyone wants a do X, get a guaranteed Y outcome. However no one told the virus which generates a high enough level of diversity to continuously challenge our defenses (especially when we allow a high amount of spread).

People want simple answers. Polio was simple. Smallpox was simple. RNA viruses are inherently not simple (immunologically).

2 Likes

And they don’t cause other motorcyclists to crash in any appreciable number.

3 Likes

Seat belt laws were railed against mightily. Helmet laws vary state to state for this very reason.

One could argue those against helmet laws have a redeeming value. As organ donors.

Having our court system as a completely adversarial system also sucks.

Maybe we could have a COVID news / information thread, and a COVID opinions thread. Too hard to separate them, I imagine.

1 Like

Too much bleed over. The thread has been relatively quite and civilized so I don’t think this discussion is a detriment.

1 Like

It’s not binary. The amplitude of the wave makes a difference.

6 Likes

They more like drunk drivers imo and I am plenty furious with those.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1470787675514978311

2 Likes

Do strangers not wearing helmets somehow mutate helmet wearers into non-helmet wearers?

Non-vaxxed people have a much higher chance at causing a mutation, whoch can affect everyone, so your analogy dodsnt hold

The thing is, yelling or not yelling at antivaxxers is on an axis that’s orthogonal to accommodation. Yelling angry about other people’s behavior (or whining about other people being angry about your behavior) is basically sublimating resentment and frustration about the fact that we are stuck trying to solve an inherently collective problem through individualized decision-making. No amount or combination of yelling, persuasion, scolding, compassion, etc. will make this work.

3 Likes

something something safety school

1 Like

public ivy

Should call it a Big Red alert, no?

2 Likes