COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

So, if this were real, I would get a booster. To hell with Haitians I guess. I guess I could donate a few dollars.

Is it real? (not asking you in particular Hokie)

IDK, if you want a wild guess, 20%+ less after 6 months and more for transmissibility, but you are right, theres not perfect data out there by any means.

The spikes in highly vaccinated places all seem to indicate some form of waning is likely and its probably not like 1%.

I think theres also sort of increasing consensus from epidemiologists that this will eventually be a three shot regiment, but not definite and I cant show you firm data to prove it.

Kaiser usually has walk in flu shots, just follow the signs.

1 Like

@microbet I found where in the thread it was discussed previously, I think. CN links a Tweet here criticizing the numbers and shedding doubt on the absolute differences.

This is flat out incorrect. It would be a gold standard, but this is like demanding an RCT for parachutes

Thanks. I did remember that and the doubt that was shed upon it. I probably would have boostered already if it were not for that doubt.

Bets his own and familyā€™s well being on a Twiiter post vs a study of 800,000 (US) veterans? Let me introduce you to Churchillā€™s Tweets?

Micro, get a booster please. Can get same time as the flu jab, like i did 6th Nov

I think this is something that both CN and Churchill would agree on. If Iā€™m reading this post right, CN did some math upthread and calculated a revised vaccine protection and it still came out lower than immediate protection, so I think all agree protection is waning. My apologies if Iā€™ve misread your post here, CN.

2 Likes

This is what I always get confused about whenever thereā€™s a giant poo-flinging JT derail on here. Heā€™s seriously within 10% of the precaution level of most of us on this site, but both sides seem to shriek at each other as if itā€™s a bunch of anti-vaxxers arguing with a guy thatā€™s locked up alone in a bunker with an N95 on.

3 Likes

I think Micro is factoring in the value of getting the COVID booster vs. taking a dose from someone e in the third world who might be waiting on their first dose. It seems like a complex issue.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s known, I know it, and this doesnā€™t contradict anything I said.

No, we would still expect someone to be more contagious pre-symptoms even if it was droplet spread, because most viral respiratory diseases tend to have people producing the most virus prior to symptom onset. Colds and flus sure do.

ā€œContagiousā€ is not a binary thing. Vaccinated people are going to be much less contagious because, even if they have peak viral loads that can be as high as the unvaccinated, they are at that level of virus for much less time. By being contagious for less time, theyā€™re much less likely to spread it even if they get infected. Furthermore, not everyone has the same peak viral load. The people who never experience symptoms are much more likely to have lower loads even at their peak.

1 Like

3 Likes

No, itā€™s not. We have had multiple studies now showing a rapidly decreasing viral load in vaccinated individuals that isnā€™t observed in unvaccinated individuals. Your own YouTube is equating viral load with contagiousness, and doesnā€™t comment on the differential time courses of viral loads in vaccinated vs. unvaccinated individuals.

Right, this is just what I said. Why did you say that I was saying something false when youā€™re now literally repeating my claim?

Yes this site definitely needs less posting. Please lead by example.

1 Like

70-82% for Pfizer and iirc moderna was something like 15pts higher and the conclusion there at that time was that the study may have been a good indication of relative fading between different vaccines.

This. Itā€™s not all benefit without cost.

If the punchline is that an infected vaccinated individual is 35% less contagious than an infected unvaccinated individual, I think itā€™s reasonable to say that the vaccinated individual is much less contagious. I think 35% is a big drop!

To put it in context, that seems to be substantially better than the benefit of wearing a mask.

3 Likes

:heart:

Iā€™m going to Thailand in 2 weeks for a month. I have to provide proof of vax. Pass a pcr before getting on the plane. Quarantine in an approved hotel until i can pass a pcr on arrival. Have to pass another test to maintain my freedom a week later. Google tells me the vax rates between USA #1 and Thailand are similar. Also Thailand has much stricter Covid rules than the US.

Am i more a danger to them? Them to me? Do i save people here and kill them there through my negligence? Itā€™s all so confusing!

1 Like

In a very particular, worst-case scenario, one where most of the people would have had sustained, indoor, maskless contact with one another. It would be a mistake to assume that vaccinated people are only 35% less infectious when out in public settings.

Look man, your very chart shows people being infections from day -2 to day 10 or so. Itā€™s not just day -2 to 0. Shortening that from day 10 to day 3 is a big win.

Hereā€™s a study that says just this:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107058

They find detectable virus in unvaccinated people for an average of 8.9 +/- 10 days, but only for 2.7 +/- 3 days in vaccinated people (including even the partially vaccinated).

2 Likes