COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Yes, sorry I replied. Won’t happen again.

1 Like

So many different standards now. I’m not sure what to make of positives. I think the beat we can do is keep an eye on hospitals and deaths.

For example, my wife just took a home test today (negative). She has a really runny nose since yesterday but no cough or fever. I’m flying today and wanted to be sure because my client doesn’t want anyone in the building with exposure.

There was a QR code on the results card but didn’t see if there was a way to report results as I was really pressed for time.

(I didn’t take a test, i am 5 days post booster and no symptoms).

Folks. Just checking in regards the latest debate.

Up to this point, it seems to have been resolved by all parties. Thank you. Great job.

However, I’m going to take a harsh stance who anyone who comes in now and escalates.

7 Likes

Just got my Moderna booster. How long before I start glowing?

5 Likes

I agree and was just about to post a similar thing.

I don’t think the metric of how many cases is very important any more. As it looks like there’s still a decent chance of catching Covid even after being vaccinated, the right metrics are probably hospitalization and death. If Covid in vaxxed people just is a cold or bad cold, I don’t think knowing how many people actually have it is that important anymore, at least in places where the vaxx is widely available.

I’d say my worry there is 1) whatever long-term effects come from COVID and 2) mutation from community spread, especially in a partially vaxxed pop.

My bigger near-term concern is hospitalization and death looks like it is plateauing some, but not nearly at a level sustainable long-term, and I think messaging around boosters/booster uptake is going to be a problem here.

Singapore getting right to the root of the problem:

Link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/11/08/singapore-unvaccinated-medical-costs-health-care-covid-19/

6 Likes

So the vaxxed people are getting free health care. That must be nice.

1 Like

Fyp

1 Like

Blockquote

Churchill is all “Engurland!” and dreams of spitfires flying overhead while churchill has tea and cucumber sandwiches with the queen.

It’s in his sn and his posts.
Dunking on Yanks is his thing.

PS. I’m not a yank at all.

Nice story, but I’m afraid we should really just chalk it up to variance.

There was a greater or equal chance he could have read something in those books and he would have interpreted it such a way to make him double down on his anti-vax position.

Grunching a few thousand posts. Eligible for the booster. Had 2x Moderna in February. What’s the general consensus? Get Moderna booster?

1 Like

i’d go pfizer, but there’s really not much to base that on.

This question comes up a lot, so I bookmarked my last post on this just for occasions like this.

2 Likes

Not an expert on this, but exposing your immune system to as many different types of antigens as possible seems like a good idea.

Seems like the difference between the two is much smaller than the effect of getting a booster. I’d just get whichever you can get sooner. Or I guess mix and match if all else is equal?

1 Like

I went Pfizer for the scientific reason is that is what I found first. I don’t think you can go wrong w either. Good luck.

So saw this tidbit today:

State health officials also found the vaccine greatly reduced the risk of virus transmission, including the highly contagious delta variant that ravaged the state over the summer.

Only 3% of 1.5 million positive COVID-19 tests examined since mid-January occurred in people who were already vaccinated.

just holy hell at that number.

7 Likes

Pretty sure my tribal clinic has everything. Partner got Moderna dose 3 at walgreen last week.

1 Like

Get whichever out of Pfizer and Moderna for the booster, it doesn’t matter. I’d get Moderna if I had a choice because the dose is higher, but my preference is like 5%. If someone offered me 50 bucks to get Pfizer instead, I’d probably take it.

Pfizer and Moderna are not different antigens. The RNA sequence is slightly different, but it relates to what each company thinks is the best way to optimise the body’s translation into protein. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m 95% sure the spike peptide sequence expressed is completely identical.

Edit: Yeah I looked it up

While the Pfizer/BioNTech’s BNT162b2 mRNA and Moderna’s mRNA-1273 share the same amino acid sequence, they differ in many other ways, such as the design of 5′-UTR, codon optimization and 3′-UTR. Translation initiation is typically the limiting step in translation, and its efficiency depends heavily on how rapidly the 5′-UTR can load ribosome onto the mRNA. Translation elongation becomes rate-limiting when translation initiation is highly efficient. Optimization of vaccine mRNA for efficient translation can decrease the copies of vaccine mRNA needed to be carried into host cells.

4 Likes