COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Why two shades of red in these graphs?

Sure, for most people the FDA approval thing is bullshit, but weā€™ve seen enough anecdotes from people here that people with bullshit objections are also prone to change their minds over bullshit reasons. People are stupid and emotional, and so for a lot of them, vaccine objections arenā€™t from a reasoned, principled, and rigid place. It can turn on a dime. It shouldnā€™t be surprising that something like this flips some of them.

4 Likes

Can you spell this out a little more? I donā€™t think you are endorsing the ā€œlessonā€ of this sexist joke, right?

The lesson is everyone draws the line somewhere. Not everyone draws the line the same place.

Weā€™ve established that AiF is not an absolutist when it comes to the topic, but is claiming that it is universal that others should agree with him (or at least be labeled ā€œbadā€ or feel bad).

Maybe not the best story to compare to, but it gets the point across. Archaic joke to be sure. Apologies if offends. Fair criticism. Was Napster Ok or was it like breaking into Joe Elliottā€™s home and stealing or were they both shades of not OK (like wishing people dead?).

Now what about if we just fantasize about breaking into his house and stealing but we donā€™t actually do anything?

Was hoping to put the subject to bed with the thread changeover.

Summary

Iirc Def Leppard was high on the list angry about Napster

1 Like

Yeah while I think virtually 0% of people that actually claimed FDA approval was the thing they were waiting for will turn around and get it now, I think thereā€™s definitely a group of dummies who are just feeling general regret for refusing it and are looking for a face-saving reason for making an about-face, something they can tell their friends that sounds ā€˜smartā€™ or whateverā€¦this is a perfect one to latch onto. ā€œOh didnā€™t I mention I just didnā€™t trust the emergency approval process! This is what I was waiting for all along.ā€

11 Likes

Yeah, good point and well said.

There was a time when the covid thread on this site was a source of valuable info.

You want a place to vent your dark thoughts that is fine. Maybe take it somewhere else. There is literally a thread dedicated to it. Why not contain it there?

Kind of like ā€œinsert random story to try to make an analogyā€

Cry more. Seriously

1 Like

I would assume a bunch of them move immediately to ā€œthe approval was completely rushed and reckless, theyā€™re just doing it to make Biden look good and Trump look badā€.

eh, maaaaybe, but this seems like wishcasting

Bold could be ā€œaverageā€ but that makes zero sense for the daily deaths on the right. Why would it be even bolder?

Itā€™s gallows humor. Itā€™s an internet message board. Apologies for giving some sincere analysis in response to a question.

Venting about Covidiots is certainly within the realm of reasonable expectations for such a forum.

Get out of here with this shaming nonsense.

I guess itā€™s my turn in the inquisition chair, capā€™n.

Have you got a timecode? Thereā€™s no way Iā€™m watching 30 minutes of that stuff.

The thing is, this shit is complicated and if you want to cherry pick stuff to get worried about, you can do it. The main reason we know theyā€™re not harmful is the large amount of data we have on them. Iā€™ll write an explainer up.

Hereā€™s a suggestion.

If you want good responses, go through the video and pick out the individual claims you want debunked. And then write out each one specifically (1-3 sentences) with a time stamp of when the claim is made so you have a numbered list. Then interested people can just pick out items in the list that they can refute easily. Maybe after a few days youā€™ll get the whole list checked off and no one has to watch the whole video except for you.

Again, I donā€™t expect anyone to worry about my sensibilities.

People are allowed to post whatever they like.
That includes me saying we should contain celebrating death to the thread dedicated for it.

People will either agree with me or not and do whatever they want.

Itā€™s really annoying that people are going to bring up the word captain whenever there is a minor disagreement.

Especially towards posters that were not even invited to Keeds mass invite.

Fair

2 Likes

This turned into more of an essay than I was intending, but here we goā€¦

How do the mRNA vaccines work?

The machinery of your body normally translates your DNA into an intermediary called mRNA and then into proteins, the Lego blocks of life. The COVID virus uses a protein of its own, nicknamed the ā€œspike proteinā€, to enter your cells by binding with a receptor on the surface. The spike protein consists of two subunits, S1 which binds to the receptor and S2 which promotes fusion of the cell membrane with the virus membrane, allowing the virus to inject its payload.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines supply a piece of mRNA to your body which instructs it to make the spike protein. Your bodyā€™s immune system then recognises this foreign invader and learns to destroy it, so that when the real virus shows up, your immune system remembers.

What happens to the spike protein when your body makes it?

The spike protein is supposed to stay anchored to the membrane of the cell in which it was made, but experiments have shown that the S1 subunit - one half of the spike protein, remember - is circulating in the bloodstream of people who have had an mRNA vaccine in the days after vaccination. Circulating levels of S1 are similar to those seen in people actually infected with the virus. Also, low levels of complete spike protein are seen a couple weeks after vaccination. This is probably because the cells in which they are anchored are being destroyed by your immune system. Itā€™s not a problem for some of your cells to be destroyed, this sort of thing is happening all the time.

Is there reason to believe that the spike protein might be harmful?

Some experiments have suggested this. In one experiment, the spike protein was strapped to the surface of a pseudovirus - something that looks like a virus, but canā€™t actually reproduce - and given to animals intratracheally - that is, introduced directly into their respiratory tract. In another experiment, the same was done with just the S1 subunit. In both cases, the presence of this protein caused lung damage, even in the absence of any live virus.

Well shit, that sounds pretty fucking bad. Why arenā€™t you worried?

Just because you demonstrate that something can be dangerous under some circumstances, it doesnā€™t mean it will be dangerous under others. In these experiments, the animals were made to inhale a whole bunch of the spike protein. If you inhale powdered salt, it is probably going to fuck your lungs up pretty hard. This doesnā€™t mean you should be worried about the fact that you have piles of salt circulating in your bloodstream.

The fact that some people develop myocarditis after getting the vaccine means that the S1 protein probably is, at least in some people, an irritant to the vascular system. But I can also show you reams of documentary evidence that alcohol is damaging to multiple organ systems and that it will instantly kill you if you drink just a few multiples of what you might have on a big night out. You donā€™t worry unduly about this because you understand that damage typically just heals, and that quantity matters. Damage to the body is happening all the time, nonstop. If the vaccines were causing a level of acute injury which mattered, weā€™d be able to spot that - just as we can when myocarditis does occur.

OK, but even if the spike protein isnā€™t causing immediate injury, what if it sticks around and causes problems in the much longer term?

This is not going to happen. Itā€™s not like a heavy metal or something that can accumulate in the long term. Your body is made of proteins, itā€™s used to dealing with them, there are whole systems in the body the purpose of which is to destroy proteins. In fact, ā€œidentify and destroy foreign proteinsā€ is a pretty close description of what the immune system does.

Evidence that this is true is that in the SECOND vaccination shot people got, unlike the first one, circulating S1 was not detectable. This is because the immune system is latching onto it and nuking it before it can even reach detectability.

Any other reason to believe the spike protein, by itself, is not damaging in the bloodstream?

The Novavax vaccine, which is still in phase 3 trials, straight up just IS the spike protein, modified slightly to stabilise it and injected directly into peopleā€™s bloodstreams. If circulating spike protein was dangerous, that would have caused massive problems right out of the gate. People researching it have not seen these problems.

Also, we now have data on millions and millions of people who have taken the vaccine. If there were problems, those problems would be detectable.

AHA, but you see weā€™re being lied to!

That would be a gigantic conspiracy, involving falsification of data by several competing pharma companies, and a cover-up of problems in the vaccine monitoring programs of a whole stack of countries. These coverups would have to involve ordinary doctors, public servants and health officials, not like CIA officers. While weā€™ve had a lot of alarmism from people outside these systems, to my knowledge there are not any whistleblowers within the systems claiming that information is being covered up.

We already have examples of what actually happened when there were problems with the vaccines. A very rare fatal side effect in the AstraZeneca vaccine immediately became a huge global story, seriously hampering the rollout in Australia, where Iā€™m from. The myocarditis side effect, also very rare, was immediately found and publicised by the Israeli Ministry of Health, as Israel was the first country to vaccinate a large percentage of its population. Large numbers of organisations in multiple countries are combing their medical data looking for these problems. Itā€™s irrelevant what you think of the CDC.

You can if you like believe in a giant, globe-spanning conspiracy which for some reason failed to suppress the news that the AstraZeneca vaccine is capable of straight up killing you of acute blood-clotting, or alternatively you could accept that these theoretical ideas of how the spike protein might be harmful havenā€™t panned out in practice.

Yeah well it all sounds dangerous to me, Iā€™ll take my chances with the virus

Yeah well being as how the spike protein is part of the virus, getting infected with COVID also guarantees that you will have it circulating in your bloodstream. Even if you donā€™t accept that empirical data shows that the vaccines are safe, the damage they might cause is theoretical at best. We know for a fact that the actual virus can cause vascular damage, nerve damage, lung damage and so on. With the way Delta is circulating, nobody is going to escape being exposed to the virus. Your choices are spike protein in your body now, or spike protein in your body later being wielded by an actual live virus busily replicating itself.

38 Likes

Very good suggestion by you and ChrisV and Iā€™ll try to get to that tonight (itā€™s not like I want to re-watch that entire thing again either lol). Itā€™s just that when people are so goddamn strident about a position to the point of calling people sheep, Iā€™d like to be able to have clear data on my side to explain why theyā€™re just plain wrong. And if I donā€™t, then I have to ask myself what makes me or my side so sure that weā€™re right?

A couple days ago I posted about ADE. One person (who I think is a doctor) gave a short once sentence reply of no itā€™s not a concern. Iā€™m sure heā€™s busy and sick of answering dumb questions, but sorry, but that answer doesnā€™t cut it for me. People who know me from here, know I donā€™t just accept herd mentality or group think. I have trust issues and Covid aside, I damn sure donā€™t trust our government who we all KNOW has no qualms about lying to the American public about justifying wars and all kinds of other stuff. I fully believe Fauci lied about face masks in the beginning

But Iā€™ll try to find exact spots and ask short questions about the guy in the vid. Problem is, there are facts on both sides. I can point to the facts that almost everyone currently hospitalized right now is unvaccinated. I can contend that itā€™s far fetched that thereā€™s some nefarious plot to harm millions of people with a vaccine. But I lack the knowledge and expertise about spike proteins and vascular problems that they are saying vaccines may cause

Iā€™ll post some short questions. Thanks

Whoa! Didnā€™t see this! Thank you so much!