COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Buy more pho!

1 Like

I think for the most lols, Biden and governors of states with vax mandates should force any job position that is vacated because of the mandate must be filled by an Afghani or undocumented immigrant.

3 Likes

I’m guessing other workers is doing some work here, also 96% is damn high

Nah, I would guess there’s quite a few dyed in the wool Trumpers, religious nuts, and/or libertarians who are high level nuclear scientists but who think the vaccines are evil.

If anyone is somehow plugged into the derposphere, please send them the NSW Supreme Court’s judgement in Kassam v Hazzard, which rejected a legal challenge seeking to invalidate the government’s mandate that certain groups of workers be vaccinated in order to work. I would kind of enjoy reading their reactions to this:

As explained below, one of the main grounds of challenge in both cases concerns the effect of the impugned orders on the rights and freedoms of those persons who chose not be vaccinated especially their “freedom” or “right” to their own bodily integrity. The plaintiffs contend that, as a matter of construction, the broad words of s 7(2) of the PHA do not authorise orders and directions that interfere with those rights or that they are otherwise unreasonable because of their effect on those rights. They seek to deploy the “principle of legality” which is a rule of statutory construction to the effect that, in the absence of a clear indication to the contrary, it is presumed that statutes are not intended to modify or abrogate fundamental rights ( Coco v The Queen (1994) 179 CLR 427; [1994] HCA 15 at 437; “Coco”). However, this country does not have a bill of rights, and thus, important as the principle of legality is, it is only a rule of construction. As such “the assistance to be gained from [the] presumption will vary with the context in which it is applied” ( Electrolux Home Products Pty Ltd v Australian Workers Union (2004) 221 CLR 309; [2004] HCA 40 at [19] per Gleeson CJ; Secretary, Department of Family and Community Services v Hayward (a pseudonym) [2018] NSWCA 209 at [39]). At least so far as the abrogation of particular rights are concerned, the presumption is of little assistance in construing a statutory scheme when abrogation is the “very thing which the legislation sets out to achieve” ( Australian Securities and Investments Commission v DB Management Pty Ltd (2000) 199 CLR 321; [2000] HCA 7 at [43]).

Actually guys you don’t have that right, sorry. It says it right here in this legislation.

Some interesting stuff in here:

In understaffed hospitals and nursing homes, vaccine mandates seem to present an unwelcome trade-off. Requiring vaccination protects patients and residents, but also creates the risk of a decline in the quality of care. While the chance of patients contracting the coronavirus inside a hospital appears to be low, there have been numerous reports of serious coronavirus outbreaks in nursing homes caused by unvaccinated workers. Conversely, Grabowski said, “We also have decades of data suggesting that all sorts of bad things happen when nursing homes are understaffed. Some people say, ‘Well, an understaffed nursing home just means people wait a little longer to bathe or dress.’ No, it can lead to really bad things happening—falls, infections, avoidable hospitalizations.” I pressed Grabowski on whether we could keep patients safe from the risks of coronavirus infection and the risks of inadequate staffing simultaneously. “I think the answer is better pay and better working conditions,” he said. Eighteen months into a pandemic that has claimed the lives of one in every ten nursing-home residents, the federal government has fallen far short in responding to the workforce challenges these facilities face.

Conclusion:

Still, there’s a reason that policymakers have been slow to adopt hard mandates. Many Americans are deeply frustrated with those who, nearly a year after the COVID vaccines became available, continue to refuse immunization. Some say that vaccine holdouts deserve what’s coming to them—if they lose their jobs, that’s a consequence of their choice. And yet a more empathetic view demands that we confront an uncomfortable truth: the people who will bear the economic fallout of vaccine refusal are often those who can least well-positioned to do so. Unvaccinated Americans tend to be poorer and less educated than those who’ve been immunized. They are more likely to live in states with fewer public-health measures and more porous social safety nets. A mix of mistrust, misinformation, and misplaced fear has led them down a precarious path, on which they may be putting both their lives and their livelihoods at risk. Even if vaccine mandates are sound policy, we should feel conflicted about the collateral damage they’re likely to inflict. Mandates work, even if—or perhaps because—they sting.

Got my booster shot and flu vaccine at my neighborhood CVS today. The pharmacist says they’ve been very busy and had 120 booster appointments yesterday.

The process was much more streamlined compared to when I got my first round of shots. I filled out a bunch of information online when I scheduled the appointment, although it didn’t ask me any questions about risk factors, and the only thing I had to show the pharmacist was my vaccine card.

10 Likes

Looks like I’m some places, a death in the department has driven up vax rates.

Not to be morbid, if 10% of all nursing home patients died, don’t they need less staffing.

Past that I would be shocked if a properly staffed nursing home was a real thing.

Glad it went smoothly for you. My mom made an appointment at a CVS last week and when she got there they refused to give her a booster because she wasn’t eligible. She’s 65, not immunocompromised but has some health issues, and was trying to get Moderna. Both my dad and myself weren’t asked any questions when we got our Moderna boosters.

Not necessarily, seems like there will be constant new demand for spots as the population ages, plus there’s apparently a huge backlog already plus the deficit in staffing dwarfs any reduction in population.

For decades, nursing homes have struggled to recruit and keep staff, because of low pay, paltry benefits, and hazardous working conditions. Since the start of the pandemic, the nursing-home sector has lostnearly four hundred thousand workers. Grabowski believes that vaccine requirements could make the situation worse. “People often say, ‘Hey, just mandate the vaccine. If they don’t want to work there, we’ll find somebody else,’ ” he said. “If it were that simple, we wouldn’t have this problem in the first place.” He went on, “Doctors don’t change professions, but nursing aides can move out of health care altogether. That presents a major workforce challenge. Aides do really hard work. They’re underpaid, they’re undervalued. And they can make just as much money at the restaurant down the street.” Grabowski’s research has found that annual staff-turnover rates at many nursing homes already exceed one hundred per cent. Staffing shortages in nursing homes are likely to exacerbate problems in hospitals: if a hospital can’t discharge patients, it can’t admit new ones. Parrinello, of Strong Memorial, told me that her hospital is currently housing three times as many patients awaiting spots in nursing homes as it was this summer.

More nursing home patients are created by Covid though

Did I miss something? Has Moderna booster gotten an EUA yet? I didn’t think it was approved and certainly not last week.

When did you and your dad get your boosters? Did you present them with your card that showed the 2 doses of Moderna already given? If not, my guess is that they might have just thought they were giving you your first doses. If you did, then I’m stumped.

Got mine Sept 5th, dad around a week or so later and I know a couple other people that have had Moderna booster. I brought my card and they added the 3rd dose info to it. Could schedule Moderna 3rd shot specifically on the website.

Moderna booster has not been EUA’d yet I believe

It looks like the pharmacy fucked up when they gave you and dad the booster (and the others you know). They treated mom correctly (i.e., by the book).

Well, one of my colleagues had a breakthrough case 3 weeks and change after a Pfizer booster. That’s not good

Symptoms?

Don’t know. Just know he got a shot, that he came in today for a rapid test, and that we don’t have nights covered for the next few days suddenly

Seems inevitable that it’ll happen to someone, but hopefully your bud has a relatively easy go of it, and best of luck covering.