COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

There’s going to be a generation of HCWs scarred by this for life. I know I am.

1 Like

I’m not saying healthcare workers aren’t having a horrible time but the right wing trolls are now dismissing COVID news about overrun hospitals not because COVID is killing people but because of nursing shortages the whole time. Just shifting to another bullshit excuse to not get vaxxed and blame tEh MEdIA for over exaggerating.

Do you have any thoughts of quitting/switching jobs away from what you’re doing?

Ehhh. Not realistically. I’m stuck for 5 years minimum due to the way my contract is structured. I’m 1.25 in.

1 Like

There is a shortage of Greek letters.
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1433120091646930944?s=19

1 Like

COVID Variant NFTS! Be the owner of the variant that killed half your family!

8 Likes

Covid conspiracy / FB nonsense is really going to go to the next level when we start throwing in Zodiac signs and astrology…

1 Like

People are going to be confused by the Cancer and Lupus variants.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Suprised im the first to ask.

Isnt this trial horribly unethical under normal medical ethics?

I.e. running a controlled trial where you know that the placebo is going to die a lot more?

Was this addressed in the coverage?

When you don’t have the funds to give everyone an intervention, as in this case, you might as well perform a randomized controlled trial so you can measure its effectiveness.

If we really knew, I suppose there would be no need for a study.

2 Likes

Except they did have the funds. Because they put the control group through a bunch of covid awareness training, just without the mask element.

Which, if anything may be the worst part, as its almost lying to them by ommision as to the best practice on avoiding covid.

Hmm I didn’t read the whole thing. My impression from the abstract (quoted below) was that there are costs to the additional training, etc. provided to the treatment groups.

All intervention arms received free masks, information on the importance of masking, role modeling by community leaders, and in-person reminders for 8 weeks.
The control group did not receive any interventions.

This seems to be from an organisation that funded the trial. The doc is pre the trial.

Sounds like the ethics of this is a reasonable question, but you can design the study to stay on the right side of the line.

2 Likes
1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be any ethical problem to me. Absent the study, both groups were free to wear masks or not as they saw fit. After the study, the control group was still free to wear masks or not as they saw fit, so they were unaffected.

This position doesn’t matchthe previous position that it’s an RCT on mask effectiveness.

There’s speculation that the protest wasn’t even what made them make the change, it was getting subpoenaed for information about the failed insurrection.

ooooo the poker tables… you were dealing at. Yeah I’d say nothing.

1 Like