COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

If that happened, then I don’t think it meets his definition of “legit” false negative.

Our mass vaccination facility was something to see. It does up to 6,000/day. Ran like a Swiss watch. I was super impressed. I was in and out in under 30 min including the 15 min “are you going to pass out” wait.

2 Likes

I don’t think they jam the thing up into your brain anymore like in the early days. The test I had was a light swab around the inside of both nostrils.

This is true, because no test is 100%. But if you failed multiple independent tests and were contagious, it would almost certainly be due to a mutation that causes escape from the test.

I guess since it’s not super clear just how much of an innoculum it takes for the infection to take hold and how that compares with the amount of viral shedding over the course of an infection. I read the article as being cautious rather than there being substantial evidence of spread from people with multiple negative tests at the time of spread.

Nah pcr testing just isn’t that sensitive. We know that from flu. It’s the gold standard as there’s nothing better to compare it to, but it’s far from perfect

The percentages given there are different things, and I’m pretty sure you can’t compare them against each other like you’re trying.

Today, less, because delta isn’t dominant where you are yet.

Next month tbd on contraction. Outcomes would take my chances with a shot vs delta than no shot vs alpha

1 Like

Would still take my chances with the shot but not sure we know enough to answer accurately

I’m saying that I don’t think you can combine the percentages the way you’re describing, or an any other way. Not sure though.

Delta makes up about half the new cases in Ontario and the percentage of new cases of Delta goes up each day, but the total number is going down. Ontario is currently 75%/22% vaccinated in terms of 1 dose 2 dose for 18+, but two weeks ago that was around 71%/10%. It certainly seems that one dose does offer a lot of protection against Delta.

edit: clarified that number of new Delta cases has been in decline despite increasing in terms of percentage of overall.

1 Like

This was the area around me about 2 weeks ago.

Curious if by July 4th if basically everyone is maskless in your area.

It really was like a switch flipped here.

Well, the 33% number means that 33% of Delta exposures that would result in infection for an unvaccinated person don’t with one dose of the vaccine. Overall, Delta is more than 2x as infective as the original, which should roughly mean that at least 50% of the interactions that a Delta-infected person has that do result in infection would not result in infection if they were instead infected with the original strain. So it’s probably worse to be exposed to Delta with one dose than to be unvaccinated around the original strain. I think you’d be on firmer ground to predict that Delta spreads faster in a population where everyone has a 33% effective vaccination vs OG spreading in an unvaccinated population.

Ive has the same experience. 2 weeks ago was still 80 percent plus masked indoors. Now I’m in a clear minority in a mask. Most of the retail employees now unmasked too.

At least haven’t been asked yet why I’m still in a mask. I’m sure it is coming.

I have unmasked at work when only vaccinated coworkers are in the office

US recorded 4,000 new covid cases today and 90 deaths. Lowest number of new cases since March 18, 2020.

4 Likes

My theory is that there’s an inflection point somewhere around 65-75% masked, where the people that just didn’t want to completely stand out now feel safe taking theirs off, putting the threshold below where some other people are cool doing it, etc., to the point where finally a bunch of people remove theirs not to stand out the other way.

Like in most places it’ll trickle down very slowly from 90% or whatever to what that inflection point is, then plummet to like 20% really quick. It feels like that’s what happened locally by me.

Super sad to see that vaccine rates are increasing very slowly in America. Belgium and Finland have joined Malta and Hungary among EU countries that have vaccinated more people than the US.

Thing is that not every country in Europe is super-keen on vaccines. For every country like Malta where nearly 80% of the population has at least one shot, there are countries like Hungary that have vaccination rates only slightly higher than the US but increasing day-by-day at about the same rate.

Will the same happen to other European countries? So far that’s not the case. Malta went from 67% with at least one shot to 79% in one month. Nearly every other country in the EU has increased at a faster rate. Those that haven’t (Romania and Bulgaria) are dealing with inadequate supply and poor rollout.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1406838809862447104

https://mobile.twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1406714693507375106

https://mobile.twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1406731354851602433

https://mobile.twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1406777047259619330

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1406663071481974784

:relieved:

But I was told it’s just like the flu.

1 Like