COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Why isn’t every Canadian just coming here for a vaccine?

I think the border is closed and hear the US Border Officials aren’t the friendliest. Same reasons the Mexicans aren’t poppin’ over for a jab

1 Like

Nobody is interested in Fauci’s comments about indoor mask mandates?

Sure you can get the vaccine, but you gotta fade being caught up in a mass shooting. Doesn’t seem worth it IMO.

7 Likes

This is happening, just not “everybody”.

Canada is pretty big. For most people, it would be a serious undertaking with many stops and associated risks.

Also not all states with vax just anyone. Some require you to be a resident.

UK, over 12’s only as under 12’s never masked…

Masks no longer needed in schools

The latest data for schools shows infection rates among students and staff continue to decrease in line with wider community transmission.

So face coverings for pupils will no longer be recommended in classrooms or in communal areas in secondary schools and colleges, under the plans confirmed today.

Twice weekly home testing will remain to control infection rates.

Two week quarantine required at both ends for many.

Not really enforced though.

Your “hot take” is basic evolutionary theory.

2 Likes

I had to show an ID and make an appointment to get mine at the grocery store, not sure how many places are just offering the vaccine to anyone who shows up.

It is in Alberta. My brother has been trying to find a way to come for some time.

2 Likes

This is why I lol at people dying to go out.

I have been trying to help a couple of people without IDs presently to get vaccinated. Have not found any place so far.

1 Like

So far he at least seems to be hedging what he’s saying but I agree with you even with the hedging it’s not great for him to be saying “these indoor mask mandates are getting kind of dumb” while fewer and people are getting vaccinated. He’s been playing the role of huge bummer for the last 14 months though so I can see why he’d want to start sprinkling in some good news. Ultimately I think he’s just preparing for the flood of states over the next month that are going to get rid of mask mandates and declare themselves OFB.

It’s hard to take you seriously when under 4 weeks ago you were wondering when India would get vaccines off the ground, having made like 90 million of them

India Covid variant of global concern, says WHO

The new coronavirus variant known as B.1.617, first detected in India, is a variant of global concern, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on Covid-19, told a briefing that it may have increased transmissibility.

The variant continues to tear through India, where infections and deaths came close to record daily highs on Monday.

The variant has three lineages, of which B.1.617.2 is the fastest growing. At the UK government’s Covid briefing today, England’s chief medical officer Chris Whitty said that variant was a concern and officials were keeping a close eye on it.

“Our view is that this is a highly transmissible variant… [but] at this point in time, our view is it is less likely to be able to escape vaccination than some of the other variants,” he said.

Here’s what we know about the India Covid variant.

Yeah, seems pretty premature, but the more I thought about it the less I cared. Local cultures are going to dictate the masking rules more than the CDC in most cases and doubtful the CDC is going to remove indoor mask guidance for schools before kids vaccinate or for airplanes/transport anytime soon (and airlines probably not removing the mandates soon anyways)

We are on a one way ticket to YOLO, lets just fingers crossed fade the tail risk.

1 Like

Mmnmmmmnm, cask-strength Pfizer.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/1391766629323841538

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1391791771382915073

6 Likes

Lotta people gonna go back for a third and fourth shot

1 Like