COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Don’t appreciate the gaslighting man.

? It’s not gaslighting when you know for sure that the varients are floating around the atmosphere.

Y’all can keep being pessimistic but I’ve spent more than a year hunkered down in my flat alone (at least most of you have family nearby, if not living with you). I had actually forgotten how to talk to people when I first met up at the park. It took a while before I could even say anything because of how awkward I felt. Getting out, even if there was a slim chance of catching some unknown version of the virus, offsets the emotional and mental strain my loneliness caused.

Part of getting the vaccine was no longer having to see everybody as a covid vector who could unknowingly infect me. I could perceive them as human and not be scared of them. It allowed me to destress around others. For somebody like me who was dealing with untreated social anxiety disorder for nearly two decades prior to the pandemic, vaccination was a huge step towards a better life.

9 Likes

I’m still working full time during a global pandemic, no rest, reduced wages & having to cut back on everything this year & last, at least you can afford a pint, No?

#Metoo

Yeah but it sucks when you can’t get to visit them because you happen to be around students who travel and carry shit.

The reason I’m here, simply because the work I do I was able to, now I have this screenshield, its total alien to me & as I said, it’s difficult for us when we suffer from depression.

Good, nice to see :+1:

Great, now wear a mask please & thank you.

If ya’ll are going to be jerks, you could at least be informed jerks. Everything about this is nonsense. Thanks.

4 Likes

It was just a joke based on none of us being sure we are protected. No offence meant.

1 Like

FYI mRNA vaccines have held up against any variant so far, with some very good news specifically coming in the last week or so. More importantly, they’ve shown damn near perfect protection against death/serious illness. If you’ve gotten an mRNA vaccine, you know you are protected.

2 Likes

Gotta say that it’s really hard interacting in person with people who are so grossly uninformed about covid. It was nice to meet people but when an anti-mask guy was going on about how they were bullshit while everybody else in the social circle was nicely telling him how wrong he was, I had to get the hell out for a bit. I excused myself to grab a lemonade and thankfully the discussion moved on while I was away. No idea how you guys deal with it since you’re in close contact with people more often than I am. The only way I could was to get away before I got stressed out.

It’s probably just me but I can’t stand a thick Scouse acent. Everything said in one infuriates me. It might have influenced my response since the anti-masker had one.

Emojis help avoid confusion :slight_smile:

A small percentage of people fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still develop COVID-19 illness

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html

That doesn’t mean you’re not protected.

I usually assume the worst and take a mask with me at all times, pulling it up when I pass someone of any age in the street (which I usually try to avoid by crossing the road, still).

Great

Also great…

See bolded… Its not 100% yet.

And also since I’ve been working during this, I have every right to be annoyed at whomever is not wearing a mask, there’s nothing about being a jerk there, it’s the ones who want to avoid tve masks during a critical period that are jerks IMO.

2 Likes

Both of you are just wrong. It’s not worth discussing any further.

You don’t get to decide by decree what’s worth discussing. You’re allowed to let a post go from time to time.

9 Likes

I don’t get the people unwilling to wear one in a taxi. Even if you are vaccinated, I’m sure drivers get people lying to them all the time about that. Plus, I am very much not of the age group that’s currently getting vaccinated in the CR. Any driver would think I was full of shit if I said I was vaccinated even though I am. Better to wear one just for the driver’s comfort. Hell the first documented community spread case in the Czech Republic was from an Uber driver in Prague who drove over 90 passengers while suffering from symptoms.

I’m not stopping anyone else, but I’m not going to take part in a conversation with people who are going to argue if 98%+ protection is protection or not. That’s fucking stupid. Especially in the context of those people being a jerk to someone else about it. It’s not like they were just here making conversation about it.

We still have drivers, nevermind passengers not wearing masks, I paid out £240 for a screen to be fitted that covers me from the back, and I keep my windows open, Drivers side, rear opposite side at all times.

I don’t argue with folks here, it’s not worth it over a couple of quid, I just drive off and let one of our non-masked drivers do the job, yeah I know but that’s Glasgow for you & the surrounding areas.

And that’s not what gets me, it’s the situation you described

Hint-Zero

:+1:

:see_no_evil:

Maths. Hard to believe some pokerz playerz is ignorant of probabilities and stuff. Usually just suckz at grammer and speling.

2 logs at least of protection against serious disease and 3 logs at least of death brings Covid risk in line with ordinary life for the individual. Collectively there is a risk of variants with significant antigen shift but that just means stay masked in crowds.

Note none of this is a guarantee. Just getting down to levels more in line with the day to day risk of any individual not making it to tomorrow. If the boogeyman arises in a really nasty variant then adjust accordingly.

4 Likes

Takes me back to some of my condom talks.

2 Likes