COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

No. I’m not even suggesting we should do that in the US right now and India has virtually no vaccination and a currently raging outbreak.

India is the fourth largest producer of vaccine and has administered 160m vaccines so far.

Their massive outbreak is because they have a Trump level idiot as leader who opened up at the worst possible moment.

Biden?

Quick, what percentage of India’s population is 160m?

Google tells me they have 30.2m people fully vaccinated, a rousing 2.2%. You are getting mesmerized by absolute values again.

I’m not at all. It’s a lot harder to vaccinate 1.36 billion people than 100 million. India has a lot of work to do, but they are #3 world wide in absolute number of vaccines given. Saying they have “virtually no vaccination” is indisputably wrong.

I never wear a mask so that no one knows what I look like wearing a mask.

2 Likes

I suggest you reread the exchange that led to my post. The point is not to take a shot (lol) at India, it’s to explain why I don’t suggest they YOLO despite my positions up thread.

Regardless of the reasons or the absolute numbers, a tiny percentage of their population is fully vaccinated.

Same and same.

2 Likes

I know LOL IHME and everything but here’s this anyway:

COVID-19 death toll is more than double the official count, UW analysis suggests

A new analysis from scientists at the University of Washington suggests 6.9 million people worldwide have died from COVID-19, more than double the official death toll.

The study from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation estimates the total number of U.S. deaths at more than 905,000 — about 60% higher than the 561,594 deaths currently reported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In India, where the disease has overwhelmed the health-care system, the UW group estimates the true death toll exceeds 650,000, nearly three times the official count. In Russia, the true number is likely five times higher than reported.

I believe I’m now the sole remaining member of the forum still waiting for vaccine access and eligibility.

2 Likes

What about the Australians?

It’s crazy. I mean Tokyo’s gonna have the Olympics and they have almost no vaccines available.

Didn’t realize they were also lagging behind.

My 75-year-old mother-in-law finally got her appointment–for early June.

The rest of the population? Yeah, no way but a fraction of Tokyo is vaccinated before the start of the games.

2 Likes

Are they though?

Seems like such an awful idea.

1 Like

They’ve mostly defeated COVID, so they’re not in a hurry. Maybe they’ve started already, though. I’m not up to date on the latest from there.

1 Like

The government is hell-bent on going through with it, despite near universal opposition from the masses.

According to this article, they’re lagging, but still ahead of you.

1 Like

Can we not just delay the goddamn olympics for like a year? Or host it in the US or something? Everyone traveling from the entire world to a nation where almost no one is vaccinated is going to be a fucking disaster.

1 Like

Delaying the games is the only correct answer.

But there are too many stakeholders with too much money invested, so it’s 100% a politically driven decision, damn the health of the nation’s people, not to mention that of the visiting athletes, coaches, and officials, who by the way will all be restricted to the village and the venues, no vaccinations required!