COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

I think you could argue that it’s the best, but saying it’s the only sensible way is obviously wrong. Florida being #1 isn’t a function only of population either.

You think comparing the gross number of infections unadjusted to population is sensible? California has twenty times more new covid infections than Wyoming, what is California doing wrong???

In the right context, sure. It certainly isn’t automatically wrong.

Can we try to be honest, just a little bit?

In what context would that be sensible?

All sorts of contexts. For one, with the way exponential growth works, absolute numbers are super important. I care far more about an outbreak of 10k in a population of 1M than I do about 100 in a population of 1k because that 10k can become 100k very quickly with an r0 of 3.

1 Like

In the context of that tweet, which is comparing the severity of covid outbreaks among states, it makes no sense at all to use absolute numbers. If desantis deserves criticism for his rate of new covid infections, so do the dozen or so governors who have similar per capita statistics, and certainly Whitmer. But if your context is scoring cheap, nonsensical points against a politician you hate, sure, using gross numbers makes total sense.

2 Likes

I don’t know why I even bothered with you tbh. Thread is a mishmash of nonsense right now.

1 Like

Well, seems like if the discussion is going to be “IP is keeping from India from making vaccines” and “pop rate is the only way to measure an outbreak” then that seems like the best option.

Wait, do you think I want you ikesing up my simple and straightforward criticism of that tweet? lol, that’s pretty funny. I’d be quite happy if you never replied to me on any topic ever again, this is pretty tedious.

A: Posts infection rate
SK: That’s wrong, that’s not pop adjusted
CN: It’s not wrong. Pop adjusted isn’t the only correct way to look at data, here’s a quick example of why
SK: FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Was Keeed’s first offense the time he pointed out that excess deaths per 100,000 were still way higher during the 1918 flu? Because I scratched my head about that NY Times story for a bit before he pointed it out. I don’t think I should blame myself for being confused, because that story isn’t very interesting unless the reader misinterprets it to mean Covid-19 caused more death as a percentage of population than the 1918 flu.

2 Likes

I hate to be drawn into things, been trying to lay very low, but CN and simplicitus are both aholes and neither are half as smart as they think they are and put together they aren’t a tenth as good as StimAbuser.

CN, you keep pretending to be all mature and above it all…so just be mature and above it all and quit with the “oh that’s not helpful and productive”->“try to be more honest”->full on CNing->“oh guys, I’m so sorry these I got into it with these plebs.”

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/youarelobbylud/status/1384663735395041280?s=10

Oof.

4 Likes

Disagree pretty strongly about how it’s not interesting. Flu can be treated with antibiotics (secondary bacterial infections are a major driver of mortality) and obviously supplemental oxygen wasn’t a widespread thing then. The fact that this pandemic killed that many people in an era of modern medicine is remarkable. It’s also still going.

The NYT also provided the context of relative amounts of death within that article.

Does anyone else read these kinds of posts and think “Yay! I didn’t make the list!” Lol, every time someone starts in on bad posters my brain immediately goes YOU BETTER NOT SAY MOSDEF JERK!

13 Likes

I like cn’s posts for the most part as well as simplicitus. Don’t see why we need to go mud slinging in here.

4 Likes

You say that, but no one drew you in. Truth is that you fucking love it.

6 Likes

Let’s talk about something else:

https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/1387077145156063234

I’ve learnt something today.

Yeah flu is notorious for causing staph infections, specifically MRSA in modern times. ~75% of people with pneumonia on X-ray who are flu positive have a bacterial superinfection. It causes this necrotizing pneumonia that can lead to bleeding an all sorts of nasty shit.

No one knows the rate for covid, but it’s very low. I don’t ever prescribe antibiotics in the ER (sometimes they get added later in people who are critically ill). I routinely discharge covid pneumonia with no antibiotics. Other docs feel differently but I think it’s stupid to prescribe them antibiotics honestly.