COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

humans were a mistake

But he said “rate,” and Michigan has less than half of Florida’s population.

this tweet has been deleted for “violating the twitter rules”?

Local news just released some good data about which parishes (counties) are getting vaxxed. As you could probably guess, urban areas are leading here w/New Orleans (36% completed) and Baton Rouge (31%) as the second and third most vaxxed areas in the state.

Curiously, there is one very rural area sitting pretty at number 1 right under 47%. I looked it up and sadly realized that it’s almost assuredly because the giant Angola prison farm is there and prisoners/guards are getting it.

1 Like

The new “I’ll make their stay into a rate per pop even though they didn’t say that so I can declare them wrong” is dishonest. Second time you’ve done it recently

Well that’s a piss poor study by screening out positives.

“Unvaccinated geographic regions thus provide evolutionary reservoirs from which vaccine escape mutants can arise and infect neighboring vaccinated regions, causing new local epidemics within those regions and beyond.”

I know you and simplicitus are having fun jerking each other off but you should stop being arrogant about this subject

from your article dated March 18

In October, India and South Africa sent a petition to the World Trade Organization asking it to temporarily waive intellectual property protections for equipment, drugs and vaccines related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The idea is to lift 20-year patents and allow companies like the Serum Institute to manufacture generic versions quickly and cheaply.

Cool cool, TRIPS waiver requested which has to do ith IP laws.

“What we require is a vaccine today — not tomorrow,” says Jadhav, Serum’s executive director. “You want to stop the disease and stop its spread, and that can happen only if there is no restriction on using the technology.”

India’s WTO push comes as activists decry a situation of "vaccine apartheid," in which rich countries have ample access to expensive vaccines, and poor countries do not.

…

Pharmaceutical companies deny rigging vaccine distribution in their favor. In fact, the vaccine business has not traditionally been a huge money maker. By definition, it’s a product which, if it works, you only take it once – possibly followed by a booster shot a few years later, depending on the vaccine.

…

The Serum Institute specializes in making generic versions of vaccines for which patents have already expired, and distributing those at a lower cost, to developing countries.

But pharmaceutical companies say that suspending patents early, for COVID vaccines and treatments, is not the answer. It would kill innovation and could do more damage in the long run, they say.

“They say this approach will undermine intellectual property rights and actually diminish our ability to respond to future pandemics,” says Rachel Thrasher, a legal scholar at the Global Development Policy Center in Boston. “If we take away the protections that these companies have enjoyed, then they are less likely to innovate in the future and maybe even less able – they say — to innovate in the future because they don’t have the resources on hand to do so.”

Alright so we have pharmaceutical companies saying that this is not the thing to do because it will kill innovation and what not, very unbiased opinion

That may be true in other situations, Thrasher says. But in this pandemic, it has been government funding – more than pharmaceutical companies’ own investment – that has speeded the development of these vaccines, she says. Many global health experts side with India and South Africa. The Pope has said he does too. Their proposal now has backing from at least 57 countries.

A study published in December in the BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) says nearly a quarter of the world’s population may not have access to any COVID vaccines before 2022. By late last year, more than half (51%) of the doses reserved were destined for high-income countries, even though those countries represent only 14% of the world’s population, the study says.

Suspending patents might not speed up distribution though, pharmaceutical companies argue. Bottlenecks may have more to do with supply chain disruptions, than with lack of access to the vaccine technology itself.

WTO decisions are usually made by consensus, and a few of its wealthiest members – the U.S., Japan, Canada, Britain, which are also home to some of the world’s biggest pharmaceutical companies – oppose the waiver.

The WTO failed to rule on this at its most recent meeting earlier this month. Its next meeting is scheduled for June 8-9.

So it seems we have pharm companies arguing that this MIGHT not help

The WTO’s new director-general, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweal, has proposed a solution to this impasse, with what she calls “a third way, in which we can license manufacturing to countries so that you can have adequate supplies, while still making sure that intellectual property issues are taken care of.”

Okay so we have an impasse because the TRIPS waiver was being requested and pharma companies and wealthy WTO members are blocking the decision with Bill gates cheering for it too

Now I guess if the IP isn’t an issue this should be all resolved now…

Hmmm looks like as of April 22nd Doctors Without Borders is still pushing for the TRIPS waiver

As World Trade Organization (WTO) member states meet today to discuss a proposal to waive certain intellectual property on COVID-19 medical tools during the pandemic, the international medical humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders/MÊdecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is calling, once again, for the US to stop blocking negotiations on the landmark proposal. MSF is urging all governments to act in solidarity and support, or at least not block, this crucial proposal that would increase sufficient and timely access to lifesaving medical tools like treatments, vaccines, and diagnostics as COVID-19 continues to ravage countries across the globe.

The landmark “TRIPS waiver” proposal was originally put forward by India and South Africa in October 2020 and is now officially backed by 59 sponsoring governments and supported by approximately 100 countries overall. Additionally, the new WTO general director Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has called for governments to move forward with the landmark proposal. But six months on—and following dozens of statements by supporting governments emphasizing its urgency and importance—formal consideration of the proposal continues to be stonewalled by a small number of governments, including the US and countries within the European Union.

Here is the summary by WTO general director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala from a recent event on April 14th discussing this issue

The first was to pinpoint the obstacles, particularly the trade-related obstacles, to ramping up production, and to equitably distributing and administering vaccines — and we looked at how the WTO could contribute to these solutions.

The second was to bring together people who are able to increase and to scale up manufacturing, people in a position to share technology and knowhow, and people willing to finance additional manufacturing capacity.

And third, to think about the road ahead, including on the TRIPS waiver and incentives for research and development, so that we get the medical technologies we need, and no country is left at the back of the line waiting. If there is one refrain we heard continuously from everyone today it is that no one is safe until everyone is safe.

Wow it seems like they are still working on this TRIPS waiver and maybe the IP issue isn’t settled because some pharma companies and Bill Gates have said it might not help.

But I’m glad we have you here doing PR for big pharma and Bill Gates and taking them at their word while talking down on people who might not believe them fully :+1:

10 Likes

You put an awful lot of effort into that post to accuse me of doing whatever with simplicitus despite me not interacting with them only to completely ignore the fundamental correction I provided politely. Don’t see why you jump at me to be a petty dick tbh, don’t see how your post related at all to what I’ve just said and don’t really care. Work out your issues with someone else.

1 Like

Seems to me this Indian business could start producing much less expensive vaccines tomorrow if a waiver was issued.

1 Like

Well after acknowledging that would be a massive goalpost shift, what makes you think that?

I am guessing the school reported it for harassment or something like that and Lol Twitter removed it

Your point was that this company made a lot of vaccines but if you read it they were only able to do this because of they are one of a couple of companies partnering with the big pharma companies and getting around the IP restrictions

From the NPR article

While Indian manufacturers like the Serum Institute and Biological E are partnering with global pharmaceutical companies, the Indian government is leading a confrontation against those same firms.

Even if the IP issue isn’t as big of a block on production as some make it out to seem and it’s all a political battle in regards to who controls and has say in what manufacturers get licenses and whatnot, you’re here doing PR for the big pharma and Bill gates side. And as soon as anyone posts something about the IP thing you say no you’re wrong like you know everything. You’re tone in this thread usually comes off as arrogant, not sure if that’s what you’re going for but that’s my read

4 Likes

Because they said it. They want to make a generic vaccine. It is literally their primary business.

They already have a generic version ready to go, and since they already produce other of the Covid vaccines there is literally no quality control concern.

When I say tomorrow, I literally mean 24 hours after they are allowed to. They are making 100 million Covid vaccines a month now. They could continue to do that but for a fraction of the cost.

I am not understanding the opposition to this other than $ and arguing that will stifle innovation. Yet clearly it t required a global pandemic of historic proportions, do I question how much the actual innovation would be harmed. The groundwork would have still been done.

It just rings as “money, money, money, more money” and c you don’t agree we will threaten you with your actual lives.

It’s pretty screwed up. Everyone should be working towards getting the whole world vaccinated as efficiently as possible. This includes being able to make it for a fraction of the cost.

If first world countries were buying billions of dollars at thd listed price to share with the world we might have a different argument, but that’s not happening.

4 Likes

Not reading this nonsense beyond this, but the point stimabuser made, repeatedly, was that India couldn’t produce the Oxford vaccine because of IP law. He claimed, and you liked this post, that Bill Gates had some sort of influence in whether or not India could produce the Oxford vaccine. He then claimed India couldn’t produce the vaccine.

That is simply wrong. My point was to show how it was wrong. Writing long screeds and making up wholesale positions for me isn’t going to make y’all right. It’s ok to be corrected.

1 Like

Can you provide a quote or some sort of citation?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true, just more interested in the amount and if it would provide more vaccine (which I don’t think is necessarily true)

Russia’s Sputnik V has been deemed to be safe, and works in a way similar to the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab which is being made in India as Covishield

Infections per population is the only sensible way to look at that statistic. You wouldn’t say South Dakota has one of the lowest rates of covid infection or Florida has the third highest vaccination rate. It’s nonsensical, based only on the population of the state. That was a dishonest and misleading tweet, for that reason.

1 Like