COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Indeed. And we just lived through the titanic oratory debated between coked up Donnie Dumb Dumb vs. the tattered remains of Joe Biden. So it’s not like we gave up on Inslee so that we hear more of them purdy Obama words.

Vaccines available to 16 to 39 year olds in Aus from aug 30.

Im looking forward to joining the rest of the thread.

27 Likes

I would have thought your role modding here would qualify you as an essential worker

13 Likes

England reporting that 94% of adults are testing positive for COVID antibodies. Is anyone else stunned by that number?

And a huge percentage of adults fully vaccinated:

Across the four UK countries, the estimated percentage of adults aged 25 to 34 years who have received one or more doses of a COVID-19 vaccine ranged from 82.3% to 90.1% – this has increased sharply since the end of May. A similar increase can be seen for those aged 16 to 24 years across the UK since June, with between 51.3% and 56.6% reporting having had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine in the week beginning 26 July 2021.

A takeaway from yesterday’s convo is that I’m now very skeptical of all of these antibody studies.

1 Like

Fair. I assume that testing for antibodies implies some combination of vaccination and prior infection, but I don’t really understand it and should probably be skeptical until I do.

That being said, I’m super jealous of the >80% adult fully vaccinated rate in England. That’s as of late July. NY Times is reporting that the >18 number in the US is at 62% right now.

It sounds like there’s enough cross-reactivity that antibodies from exposure to normal coronaviruses can goof up the results, although I didn’t actually read this paper.

2 Likes

UK had a peak of 60k/day with deaths at about about 1200/day with a 3-4 week offset.

This cycle the peak was about mid July at 48k/day. Proportionally we would be seeing about 960/day deaths. Instead we seem to seeing more like 96/day.

That’s pretty effing great. 90% less deaths.

1 Like

I assume that 94% number includes both vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

It’s cool to see young demographics getting vaccinated. Sadly, vaccines haven’t caught on in the under 35 crowd (or really in general) in the Czech Republic. We just recently broke the 50% barrier for fully vaccinated people. During our second wave, we were getting 100K+ shots per day. Now it’s more around 30-40K.

Israel now has a “green badge” rule. You have to be vaccinated or show a negative covid pcr test to get into pretty much any public place. Including for children.

4 Likes

This is not really applicable to herd immunity

You should tell her then

Natalie Grover Science correspondent
@NatalieGrover

1 Like

It people tried that in the US it would lead to Tucker Carlson making extremely tasteless Holocaust references.

I mean, it’s not. You can deal with that however you want. Viral load levels in breakthrough cases don’t really determine herd immunity. They could be 100x a normal infection and it still wouldn’t matter. What matters is the rate of breakthrough, R0, and longevity of protection

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like delta is gong to burn through all the unvaccinated kindling pretty quick, at which point people with natural immunity to that variant and immunity provided by vaccines should slow the spread significantly.

we aren’t still seeing similar cases in India so there has to be some form of protection.

there are plenty of those jokes there too.

1 Like

Yeah I just realized I’m like a year and a half late to this but are they able to clearly differentiate between COVID 19 antibodies and run of the mill coronavirus antibodies?

You can absolutely differentiate the two, but how well you can varies a ton.

This report falls into the ‘huge outlier’ category, so you should take it with a grain of salt. It might end up being true, but let’s hope not because there’s some awful implications if it’s right.

I wouldn’t bet that the downtrend in cases in India is due to population immunity. Their confirmed cases + vaccination rate doesn’t get them close to herd immunity. I suppose they could only catching 1 in 30 covid cases on tests, but that seems unlikely.

1 Like

Surely it’s also relevant how transmissible breakthrough cases are. If there are lots of breakthrough cases, but they’re systematically less infectious, that would make it easier to reach herd immunity. You can’t just assume that each vaccinated breakthrough infection leads to the same number of exposures as an unvaccinated infection.