COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

That issue is more financial than anything though, so I don’t think Riverman is worried about that. Or at least I don’t think he was asking about it.

I think if the kids mask in crowds and indoors you should be fine. I’d still bias toward outdoor activities.

Meh. Don’t agree with the “or if” part.

It’s a long flight to take though. A long flight with a class of people that probably skews toward yolo’ers if they’re flying to Europe in the first place. I don’t like your odds on a long flight like that if you’re not vaccinated.

I thought the studies of flight crew showed no increased risk with whatever ventilation systems they’re using on planes these days. Could be wrong, though. I’m just going by my fuzzy memory of what someone may have posted here.

Damn, color me jealous on getting them in the trial. Any inside info for getting in? Does what you know require being in NY?

If I had high confidence in my kids keeping their masks on properly for the entire duration of an international flight (no small feat even for adults, considering the desire for food and drink), then maybe I’d take them to, like, Israel or Chile? It’d have to be a country with great vaccination, and most of the EU ain’t that.

Oh, but here’s what I actually popped into this thread to post.

https://twitter.com/TheDaniLongLegs/status/1386084490255093760

13 Likes

Definitely well into the inflection point - like 12 sources near me on myturn, and all have lots of appts.

Even the Albertsons/Savon route (which I must have checked 50 times and never had an appt) has appts now.

Only 60,000 homeless people in Germany?

A random friend of a friend posted the info on facebook. There just happens to to be a trial location happening near me and they were looking for volunteers so I called. Total luck. No secret method to get in that I’m aware of, in NY or anywhere else, sorry. It’s been delayed like twice now so hopefully it really happens.

1 Like

US recorded only 35,000 cases yesterday. Lowest one day total since September 9th.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1386637613772288004

3 Likes

Well, at least that won’t happen in my workplace, because nobody actually follows through with anything they say they are going to do.

19 Likes

I’m seeing conflicting things online about this so is it still generally true that if you have been vaccinated and get covid the symptoms will be much less? This is true of all vaccines? Even one dose?

Are there cases of vaccinated people still dying?

In my non-expert opinion:

Yes. Yes. Yes, and probably.

1 Like

I believe their is at least an instance of one dose still dying but I think there was speculation that perhaps they were already infected.

I don’t recall any after full vaccination-2 doses plus 2 weeks.

Looks super rare but happens.

Your question was whether they die. No. And when they said the shot was 100% effective against serious illness/hospital it was obviously rounding up (“serious” is kind of vague) and 99.992 is pretty unbelievable. Condoms work <95%.