COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/1422362405498068997

Looking at the crosstabs, people who are registered to vote are significantly more likely to oppose such measures than those who are not. People with children in the home are more likely to oppose.

Things are getting pretty bad here in San Diego. Almost 10x increase in cases in a month.

The return of the worst graph ever! Why did I post a graph that stops on 7/27? Because they stopped updating it daily and only update once a week now because covid is over.

1 Like

Watching Andy Beshear’s COVID news conference from today. Been watching these off and on since shit began. Dude is trying, but if you been watching for a while it is clear dude is fucking tired as hell, and frustrated as hell people aren’t getting vaxxed. Seriously just fuck the antivaxx community so fucking much

1 Like

This is the type of shit I’m seeing in my social media from conservatives:

It’s infuriating how easily this shit gets turned on it’s head.

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1422515574953873411

I thought I read hot sauce (medium and higher) kills the virus.

3 Likes

What’s infuriating is that items 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 9 are all completely valid points that Democrats should be doing something about (you know, since they’re in charge now). They could easily be crushing these issues if they even gave a half-assed attempt at competence and messaging.

2 Likes

(They’re all rich assholes too)

Yeah, exactly, but that’s the problem with having two parties that are captured by wealthy business interests.

Trying to reply to @Melkerson post I really suck at this

Thx, and can’t multiquote but thx also @Trolly for advice.

Getting my 2nd Pfizer in 1 week.

So this is still going to happen and almost sold out for both weekends. Got 30k people a day last time they held it apparently. Just a couple miles away from me.

Not seeing any mention of mask or vaccines anywhere on flyer or website. I guess this is about the safest place for a giant event but then you have the bars and restaurants and taxis and every other way people are gonna spread.

This is also an insanely hot month inland and a bunch of people from tecate and mexicali vacation here. A friend who works for the taxi authority says that we’re almost certainly going to stay in green til after this festival which means almost full bars and restaurants with normal hours. And then restart restrictions right after.

I get that this is a big month for the local economy but this could end up killing a lot of locals who haven’t had easy access to a vaccine yet.

I usually hate going out on peak tourist days regardless but I’m gonna be ready to lock down like it’s April 2020 again. Luckily WCOOP starts soon.

5 Likes

That and the decaying empire dynamics. When empires collapse the people closest to the power structure realize that their optimal play is to loot as much of the remaining wealth as possible while the getting is good.

How many people is this?

Proud of my kids. They went back to school yesterday after being virtual for nearly a year and a half. I’ve been very protective of my family when it comes to COVID, but since masks are optional, I told them it was up to them. Basically, I didn’t want them to be the only ones and have trouble socially (one is starting high school, one is in middle school, but it’s his first year actually in the building). Both told me they wore masks all day and said a lot of kids were. Don’t know the percentages, but sounds like enough that it was noticeable.

EDIT: My kids have been vaxxed since June.

28 Likes

4 and 5 arent evem neccesarily negatives. It appears that woth the time people have been granted they analysed their mental health, found it lacking, and sought help. Thr pandemic isnt neccesarily the cause of their mental health issues. Whoever wrote this forgot that causation does not neccesairly equal correlation

Sooo this sounds like great news right?

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus the emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda’s spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a “Variant of Interest” by the World Health Organization, rather than a “Variant of Concern,” people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes “Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society.”

Did we just skip epsilon and go straight to lambda?

I was curious about that too, but apparently the in-between letters have already been used for variants too. They’re currently being tracked but haven’t entered mainstream conversation yet (and maybe never will if they end up fizzling out).

During the pandemic, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the causative agent of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), has been diversified. As of July 2021, there are four variants of concerns (VOCs), Alpha [B.1.1.7 lineage; the lineage classification is based on Phylogenetic Assignment of Named Global Outbreak (PANGO): Cov-Lineages], Beta (B.1.351 lineage), Gamma (P.1 lineage) and Delta (B.1.617.2 lineage), and four variants of interests (VOIs), Eta (B.1.525 lineage), Iota (B.1.526 lineage), Kappa (B.1.617.1 lineage) and Lambda (C.37 lineage) (WHO, 2021a). These variants are considered to be the potential threats to the human society.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Epsilon was a little bitch.

3 Likes

Nate has been really pissing lately but he is still a good follow for some of the technical details.

Apparently one of the papers showing similar loads in the vaccinated did some interesting data culling, taking out weak positives (high # cycles to detect). This would likely bias the average/median loads upwards in the vaxxed group. (Assumes the vaxxed represent a high fraction of the excluded samples).

So probably the headlines are a little extreme.

So it’s probably more like, breakthrough cases can have similar loads to unvaxxed cases, but on average there is less viral titer (conjecture by me)

I’d also love to see something where the elderly:known compromised are excluded. Do vaxxed people with normal immune systems carry high loads?

I wouldn’t change any masking policy because of this but could really inform on high schools and colleges where almost all have strong immune systems about the safety of OFS.

https://twitter.com/andreasshrugged/status/1422444916991483904?s=21

3 Likes