COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna disagree with Trolly on this one. I think the answer is that we donā€™t know for sure. The shots will give you higher antibody titers to a certain antigen, but getting the disease may activate other pathways that the shot doesnā€™t (and arenā€™t as easily measured as antibody titers).

Also itā€™s not clear that there isnā€™t some threshold beyond which higher antibody titers donā€™t actually confer additional immunity.

This is a ā€˜drugs won the war on drugsā€™ moment. Just fucking giving up. Iā€™m sure there wonā€™t be consequences.

Iā€™m not an expert, but the vaccines are designed to trigger the max immune response from your body. All the expert guidance Iā€™ve seen says you should still get the vax even if youā€™ve already been exposed.

Clearly you havenā€™t been to Eatā€™n Park

Iā€™m in West Australia and we havenā€™t had a case for two weeks. The game is actually on Monday to maximise attendance which is a 60k stadium likely to get 40k people.

Sydney is a bit of a shitshow atm and all other states have closed state borders to them. The rest of the states are all basically 0 cases a day in the community.

So no risk of covid so to speak, just donā€™t want to go to a game that goes 3hrs and feel shit.

Australia is a bit weird. States just snap close borders to each other so in order to keep borders open states are kind of forced into a prisoners dilemma situation that forced each state to aim for zero covid. Sydney will likely be locked down for 4+ weeks because they thought they can handle delta at a couple cases a day and itā€™s now up to about 35ish a day.

1 Like

This isnā€™t really correct.

There is some uncertainty, but thatā€™s more because thereā€™s zero RCT data of people who got covid. Itā€™s all observational. Various immunity pathways are possible I suppose, but we do have proxies for the function of the immune system outside of antibody quants and the mRNA vaccines do very well there as well.

Korean restaurant?

not sure if I mentioned this, but we had a case of this in our ER. Not my patient but it did shake us up a bit.

In more Freedumb news

https://twitter.com/chelseaclinton/status/1413525158980198407?s=21

What if the vaccine in under 18ā€™s causes ā€˜issuesā€™ greater than you know what? Thatā€™s why UKā€™s unlikely to approve, unless it keeps them out of school in which case theyā€™ll approve

Under 18ā€™sā€¦we are told most of the 25 had underlying conditions (not that it makes that acceptable in anyway

Childrenā€™s extremely low Covid risk confirmed by study

The overall risk of children becoming severely ill or dying from Covid is extremely low, a new analysis of Covid infection data confirms.

Data from the first 12 months of the pandemic in England shows 25 under-18s died from Covid, putting the overall risk of death at around two in a million children, scientists estimate.

Those living with chronic illnesses and neuro-disabilities were most at risk.

The conclusions are being considered by the UKā€™s vaccine advisory group. Currently, under-18s are not routinely offered Covid vaccines, even if they have other underlying health conditions that put them at risk.

Link direct to aboveā€¦

What if broccoli actually causes cancer?!?

4 Likes

So youā€™re saying that covid vaccine is more likely to cause harm than good in teenagers based onā€¦ what exactly Churchill? This is nonsense.

I mean I suppose it could be argued that since bad outcomes of COVID cases in minors are so rare, youā€™re actually approaching the point where bad outcomes from vaccines are in the same realm (although both near zero). However the societal benefit of keeping these kids from being part of the infection merry-go-round is massive, so they absolutely should get the jab.

2 Likes

Scientists from University College London, and the Universities of York, Bristol and Liverpool say their studies of children are the most comprehensive yet anywhere in the world.

They checked Englandā€™s public health data and found most of the young people who had died of Covid-19 had underlying health conditions:

• Around 15 had life-limiting or underlying conditions, including 13 living with complex neuro-disabilities
  • Six had no underlying conditions recorded in the last five years - though researchers caution some illnesses may have been missed
  • A further 36 children had a positive Covid test at the time of their death but died from other causes, the analysis suggests
  • Though the overall risks were still low, children and young people who died were more likely to be over the age of 10 and of Black and Asian ethnicity.

Researchers estimate that 25 deaths in a population of some 12 million children in England gives a broad, overall mortality rate of 2 per million children.

Current data shows some 128,301 people in the UK have died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test since the pandemic started.

New season of Ozarks is lit!

Letā€™s not ignore that the variants so far seem to be going in the direction of worse for youngers. But letā€™s just let it continue to circulate, generate mutations, and select for the biggest baddest kid killing variant that nature can provide. Jfc.

Also 1/10,000>>>1/1,000,000

But we are really lucky that kids canā€™t spread it. Itā€™s a miracle when you think about it.

1 Like

7 Likes

This makes no sense, because below is exactly my point.

Or as I put it.

Iā€™m not sure what you think the difference between those two statements happens to be. And yes, the reason we donā€™t know is because (as far as I know) there hasnā€™t been a good study that investigates that specific question.