COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

When I get the flu vaccine each year I assume several companies are making it and the one I get is different from the one someone in Europe gets?

If so, this seems like the place we need to get with COVID vaccine as well. Nobody should care, or even know, which vaccine they are getting.

Meh, we’re never getting to the people “not caring” stage by virtue of the fact that Covid is a far deadlier disease then the flu, so people are going to pay more attention.

So you want the government to lie about how well each vaccine works or do you want people to suddenly become stupid and illiterate? Withholding the information is obviously illegal.

I had no problems supporting AZ publicly but after all of the research came in I privately told all of my friends they’d be really stupid to take AZ instead of one of the mRNA ones, especially if they wanted to return to any sense of normalcy (travel), not catch a variant, and realize they were probably going to be taking an mRNA vaccine every year for the near future anyway.

I understand the societal numbers game we played and why AZ is a life saver but on an individual basis errr… I want to get onto a plane before 2024.

1 Like

I think the branding cat is out of the bag on this one. We’re more likely to arrive at “9/10 epidemiologists recommend PFIZER brand vaccines - don’t settle for less!” commercials for the next 10 years.

2 Likes

You are likely correct. I just wish we could downplay the brand loyalty stuff as it only hurts us all.

It doesn’t hurt those of us that own shares in Pfizer. Don’t delay - get your Pfizer brand shots today!

P.S. I read on Facebook that Moderna causes impotence.

9 Likes

My parents are travelling atm, down south and I got a great reception from them on the mobile, AZ all the way baby!!! 5G of Sarcasim built in. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Brand loyalty?! … the mRNA vaccines are strictly better. So your wish is for people to make a terrible personal decision for your benefit? Ok sure I guess. I hope they enjoy never travelling or taking off their mask as the delta variant continues to decimate the world for the foreseeable future.

If you don’t own a passport and live in the middle of nowhere then yeah you should have gotten AZ right away grandpa but if you live in Vancouver and/or spend your vacation days hopping on flights it’s not “brand loyalty” or “selfishness”.

Looks like our boi Nose got good stuff.

The numbers coming out of India are unspeakably bad.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1404109609187618820
https://twitter.com/Rukmini/status/1403563967172153344

300,000 extra deaths in a month in just two states.

I’m becoming increasingly concerned that society at large is being lulled into a false sense of security by falling aggregate case numbers. I wrongly had the same concern about Alpha, so I want to be a little more cautious this time, but I’m struggling to see how this can work out well. If Delta has R0 of 6.5, then the herd immunity percentage is 82%. If you assume 10% of the population has already had COVID, and that vaccines are 90% protective against Delta, then we have effective immunity of something like 55%, and immunity-adjusted R of 2.9, which is pretty much exactly the level of transmissibility that we were dealing with last spring, except that Delta is likely a more severe disease, and I’ve seen some suggestions that it’s particularly worse for kids.

Even with the current level of mitigations, it looks like Delta cases are growing at around 7% a week, or 30% a month. If people start thinking they can start dining indoors and going to movie theaters and going in to work even if they aren’t vaccinated, I don’t see how things don’t get bad quickly. Especially with schools opening in the fall and kids universally unvaccinated.

5 Likes

We as a species are pretty fucking stupid. Wicked smart in spots (hello highly effective vaccines in under a year). But overall, dumb as rocks.

2 Likes

Best to throw all the kids in back of station wagon like my parents did.

consumers know very little about the flu vaccine, and it’s a contributor to the antivax argument.

this also seems applicable

I believe most people who got moderna are impotent. Pfizer on the other hand…

Eh, would prefer not having covid over having kids

1 Like

From earth’s viewpoint, having kids is just disease spreading.

2 Likes
1 Like

Cases are already increasing in some of the lower vax southern states. The Washington Post site was the easiest one I could find with 7 day average cases and it showed 18 out of 50 states with increasing cases. We are out of the period where cases were universally declining throughout the US, although “US” numbers are becoming a less relevant metric. 7 day averages are still down (numbers are funkier now with states reducing reporting), but we are still at just over 14K cases a week and cases were down only ~5% last week vs. the, call it, 15-20% decreases we were seeing week over week last month.

The good news is the elderly are more vaccinated overall and the mRNA vaccines in particular are holding up very well against variants. High-vax states are seeing extremely good COVID numbers and good trends outside of the Delta variant increasing in prevalence. We should decouple cases and hospitalizations more than last Spring even if the disease is a bit more severe. Also seems hard to imagine real waves in the high-vax states, especially as they will likely largely vaccinate the under 18 crowd in high numbers before the typical respiratory virus season (so you should be able to use something like 80% or more in your R calc by winter).

The bad news is that even if we assume the ~80% decrease in cases over the last six weeks translates directly into fewer deaths, we are running at about a 26K (20% of current 130K annualized death rate) annualized death run rate+whatever non-death/permanent damage gets incurred among survivors.

So not a lot of room for worse seasonality, increased severity, increased reinfection/immune escape before we’d be into adding another very bad flu season this winter to the normal winter hospitalization surge (do we get flu back this year? IDK) which would mean revisiting restrictions in some areas. There isnt a lot of meat on the bone left in terms of reducing COVID numbers in the high-vax states.

I wish we had held onto mitigation and restrictions a bit longer.

2 Likes

We’re at 35% in 12-17 with at least one shot in CA now. Last I can find they are saying September before under 12, but in high vaccine uptake areas 12+ should be pretty well vaccinated by Fall.