COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Good one.

Itā€™s not meant as an insult. I do not know what the point of that post is or how it relates to the conversation. I have no idea where your hostility is coming from.

Me too! You mentioned Az and I donā€™t think the linked article mentions it. Iā€™m not correcting (peace), just AZ is known to be OK from first dose but doesnā€™t improve a great deal after. Prevetns death from an early stage after 1st dose, what more could we ask for.

I have studied these many times ggoreo and do not seek confrontationā€¦ my views are my own

76% is the lab efficacy after 2nd dose - iā€™m referring to the first dose, as that was what JT referred to

CDCā€™s real worlds study was performed before the vairants were an issue (like above). Actual experts only predict as 5-10% drop so no need for anyone to have anxiety.

It was hard to imagine this as what I said was intended to be fairly direct replies to points. I am more than content to leave it here, but to make that perhaps clearerā€¦

If the problem was simply swapping out suppliers seems like India could change their regulatory process very easily.

India donā€™t get to choose the rules for approval freely when their products are used internationally.

The vaccine in question is Novavax,

India manufactures a lot of vaccines, their supply issues are far wider than just with Novavax.

which hasnā€™t been approved by anyone yet afaik. Itā€™s also not in significant production yet either.

You clearly take into account regulatory approval prior to getting it finalised, whatever the requirements are.

1 Like
U.S. Only - # of people you know personally who want but havenā€™t gotten their first shot yet

0 voters

Letā€™s try this poll. I feel like we might be at a tipping point in the US where most of the people who want to be vaccinated have at least gotten their first jab.

Sorry RoW, but customers who pay full retail come first. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

The U.S. is the middle-aged plastic-faced ex-trophy wife swanning into a Rodeo Drive salon at 2:30 on a Tuesday afternoon with a chihuahua on her arm. The rest of you drive 40 miles to outlet malls on the outskirts of Des Moines to get your drugs.

RainierWolfcastleThatsTheJoke.jpg

1 Like

Almost as funny as the out of date PPE Russia sold (sorry, donated) to Trump

Alright buddy take it up with the author of the article if you know so much, Iā€™m just posting it because some might find it interesting to read

1 Like

That number goes up much higher if we include people under 18.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very much of the opinion that 2 weeks after 2nd dose Pfizer is as good as youā€™ll get (based on latest studies).

Both my 75yr old folks just had 2nd dose Pfizer yesterday but FML also had indoor hour meeting with sister day before (still canā€™t meet indoors in the UK). Canā€™t wait the 2 weeks obv. but ain;t likely to die now so, you know. Iā€™m an AZ one so will be lying low a little longer (76%!)

If youā€™re all first dosed up, outdoors at the usual 2m (6ft) gotta be worth the minimscule risk, especially masked IMO (subject to prevailing case rates at the location and timeā€¦minimum 2, possibly 3 weeks after first doseā€¦3 weeks for AZ)

1 Like

If you did want me to offer some support to my earlier statement that ā€˜efficacyā€™ may not equal ā€˜effectivenessā€™ along the percentages being quotedā€¦

Winnipeg isnā€™t exactly variant central I donā€™t think, yet.

The Israeli study I linked above showed ā€˜a lotā€™ higher rate of infection in Pfizer after the one dose til 2 weeks after 2nd dose, where variants were involved. No deaths though I believe.

Shit Iā€™d love to celebrate making it two weeks post second shot but almost everything is still shut and less than 8% of the Czech Republic has had both shots.

Czech Republic kicking ass compared to what it was

Still way behind on vaccines though

Probably gonna be teaching face-to-face starting in May. Of course, that means Iā€™ll have less than a month of actual class before Iā€™m conducting finals for my graduating students.

1 Like

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/17/extending-johnson-johnson-vaccine-pause-week-was-deadly-mistake/

What ACIP must provide, but likely never will, is an estimate of how many of the hundreds of thousands of Americans infected with covid-19 in the coming days could have been protected if J&J vaccines were available. The resulting hospitalizations and deaths, likely concentrated in disadvantaged communities, will happen weeks from now and will probably be ignored by the media. News stories will highlight blood clots following vaccination but not consider whether a one-dose vaccine could have protected a homeless person who arrived at the emergency room deathly ill from covid-19 or prevented an outbreak at her encampment. Without a comparison of the pauseā€™s harms to the vaccineā€™s side effects, we have every reason to fear that ACIP loudly fiddled while Rome quietly burned.

The J&J pause reflects greater dysfunction in our covid-19 response. Regulators design policies to optimally protect the best-off in society who can afford to take days off work, travel for vaccinations and face side effects twice. Like governorsā€™ tone-deaf advice to ā€œdrive to the beachā€ to access vaccines, stopping access to single-dose vaccines in emergency rooms and homeless shelters ignores the most vulnerable Americans.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that literally every other municipal police force tweeted same today.

I really want to hope that this breaks the spell that convinced people that Ford was competent instead of just a drooler mashing buttons, but then I look south and know how foolish that idea is.

Fair enough.

1 Like

Put 17, though Iā€™m probably just forgetting people and the number is actually over 20.

The northeast seems like a different planet sometimes.

Almost all of his appeal was ā€œnot the Liberalsā€. Its a time honored tradition in Ontario to let the Liberals rule unchallenged until we are literally gagging on their hubris, then vote in another party, then go ā€œoh yeah, thats why we voted Liberal beforeā€.

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1383566572858482693?s=19

3 Likes

Unfortunately we are starting to hit our demand wall. Today was the first Saturday in 3 weeks we didnā€™t crack 4 million shots, in fact we did a million less today then we did on the same day one week ago. It sure looks like weā€™ve peaked as far as 7dma of vaccinations in the US.