COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Oh…

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1396397770924232704
https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1396384587551580161

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1402166715627278336

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1402080990122676226

It seems some states will be better than others and some states will be worse than the UK, no?

And with some places in the States being as high as +90% I guess the new school districts will become the vaccinated District of the future, that’s my attempt at a joke Btw.

Laters… I need to do some work lol. :mask:

Seven-day average for UK cases up 60%

The seven-day average for cases is up 60.6%, with the increase in infections partly attributed to the greater transmissibility of the Delta variant.

The figures also show there were another 112,941 first doses of the vaccine delivered and 306,068 second doses.

It means in total there have now been 40,573,517 first doses - equivalent to 77% of the adult population and 28,227,362 second doses, or 53.6% of the adult population.

We refer to adult, over 18yr population as have only just approved vaccines in the under 18’s (and will probably only authroise use if we can’t hit herd with adults alone - like the US)

Friend of mine is having her 60th birthday in august and she only inviting people who are vaxxed and at this time still going to require masks.

2 Likes

Isn’t that just Covid then?

YOU WANT TO DEFUND THE POLICE COMMIE? Who will protect you from that undesirable breaking in and killing your family?

I’m ambidextrous sleeper

Does no one read the links posted?

Work from Public Health England (PHE) suggests that after a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, there was a 17 percentage point reduction in effectiveness against the Delta variant compared with the Alpha one

2 Likes

Agreed.

And the super majority of those vaccinated are with one of the mRNA vaccines which are highly effective against Delta.

I assume that the pharmaceutical companies are continuing to work on next generation vaxxes that are tailored to new variants, is that the case? In a post vaxx world how is the ongoing risk of variants dealt with.

Feels like this is 6 months out of date so does not need to be posted again (B.1.1.7 is so December 2020)

I find it hard to believe that masks are going to be around anywhere in August besides places like airplanes.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for America but Prague is currently 100% where masks are required and around 1% where they aren’t.

COVID in Prague is slowing up less than most of the rest of the country despite obeying mask rules. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was due to tourists popping up with greater frequency.

US is running out of arms though - US being touted as the only country in the world with oversupply

Single dose jalfrezi. Maybe y’all should use the vaccines as directed instead of that dumbass delayed dose program y’all FPS’d your way into.

1 Like

Finally getting my first shot (Moderna) today. While waiting I was wondering if there is much information out there about people who caught COVID and then got the vaccine. In particular I was wondering whether people who already have antibodies need to get two shots or if it would be just as effective with one? I plan on getting both, but it would make sense to me that folks like me might need only one shot rather than both. Any insights on this, medical/science peeps?

2 Likes

So far, there’s been no variant proven to spread effectively against someone fully vaccinated with a mRNA based vaccine. Presumably, it could be updated rather quickly, but there’s no evidence, so far, that it is needed.

1 Like

UK was in the middle of the UK variant surge when vaccines first came onto the market (Dec 2020) hence the ‘one dose, delay 2nd strategy’ which seems to have paid off, especially now the UK are as good as equal with the US in terms of fully vaccinated population with still a quarter of the UK population uneligble for vaccinnation ;)

See the UK case rate when vaccines came out…

Summary - You can do a 8, 10 or 12 week gap if enough of the population is predicted to take the vaccine and you aren’t facing the largest surge of your covid history

Yes, the vaccine is designed to provoke a stronger response from your immune system than you would get from catching COVID in the wild. You should still get the normal 2 shots even if you think you’ve been exposed is what I understand the best practices are.

2 Likes