COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Ok, I checked on this, so the day to day stats are not so great anymore, but the NYTIMES is still getting the data at least weekly so the 7dma figures are reliable, and they are still quite positive.

3 Likes

I still have FL/TX/AZ down for some air-conditioned super spreader events at like churches and redneck bars full of unvaxxed people.

1 Like

yeah the seven day should be more or less reliable with the caveat that we are reducing testing as well, particularly for the vaccinated, so I expect potentially more and more holes in the data going forward. If there is a variant with vaccine escape or low symptomatic transmission from vaccinated people, I wouldnt expect we see it in the numbers right away.

Data is definitely positive right now, no argument there, even in the low vaccination states the data is pretty good.

2 Likes

Approved and adminstered vaccines include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J

Canada#1

1 Like

Veils are coming off in the classroom in most of the Czech Republic starting tomorrow.

By coincidence, the news comes after a student in one of my classes tested positive for covid this past weekend. Of course, I only found out through his classmates rather than the school. So far, none of the other students in the class have tested positive. PCR tests on all students and unvaccinated teachers who havenā€™t had covid in the last 6 months will be conducted Wednesday.

2 Likes

I finally got vaxxed today and there seems to be no improvement in my wifi. What a ripoff!

Lots of people were getting the jab today at the location my appointment was at and they were actually running behind schedule. Good to see those vaccination rates rising.

21 Likes

US is so non-uniform Iā€™m not sure a national number is is the right metric. My town is literally 99 percent vaccinated for adults some states are in the mid 40s. Are other countries that polarized?

Edit: I might have accidentally flagged a post on my phone if I did please ignore

My 12 year old got his second shot two days ago. Felt super crappy all day yesterday and threw up a couple of times. Took an Advil later in the day, perked up and ate a good dinner. Back to 100% today.

21 Likes

No, it doesnā€™t mean your immune system is better or worse, itā€™s still a mystery right now. Probably something to do with genetics.

1 Like

99%? How is that even possible?

I lost service on my phone immediately after getting my second shot, had to restart my phone.

5G my ass

3 Likes

I have this. The Rite Aid I went to for my vax has basically nowhere to sit, after my first shot I had to sit on the blood test machine lol. Got super light headed but didnā€™t pass out. Second shot I didnā€™t feel it at all, still sat there for 10 minutes expecting it to happen but nothing.

I slightly misspoke. Double checked it is 99 percent of over 30, 20-29 slightly lower. 12-15 cohort already 2/3 one shot in the arm. Relatively well off and highly liberal city.

I can get my second dose this weekend but itā€™s only been 7 weeks from my first AZ shot. Anyone know how strong the evidence is for a minimum 8 weeks wait?

My neighborhood Publix finally ended its mask mandate. Now they have a sign up that says vaxxed people can unmask, but we should all be safe, distance, etc. Seemed like at least half the people there today still wore masks.

1 Like

I think the longer you wait the marginally better it is up to a point that they donā€™t know. 4 weeks vs 10 weeks youā€™re a little better of long term by waiting, but more vulnerable in the mean time. One week difference isnā€™t going to do a whole lot

I think at least some people donā€™t limit their usage of ā€œlong COVIDā€ to cases where the initial infection was mild.

4 Likes

I think the problem is that immune ā€œstrengthā€ as you put it, is not exactly a term that everyone is using in the same manner.

In one sense, it would be correct to say that people who have more symptoms had a more robust, or ā€œstrongerā€, response to the vaccine. That is why they got more symptoms. The symptoms are a direct result of the immune system responding to the vaccine, so to say someone with more symptoms had a stronger response isnā€™t exactly wrong.

But it isnā€™t useful either. Just because they had more of a reaction to the vaccine initially it doesnā€™t mean that they will create more antibodies or have antibodies that persist longer or other desirable effects. These are the types of things that may come to mind when someone says ā€œstrongerā€ immunity, but it is not clear (at least not to me) how correlated these things are with the symptoms that were experienced when the vaccine was received.

1 Like

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/557239-washington-state-to-allow-free-pot-with-vaccines

11 Likes

Itā€™s AZ specifically, they have data that 12 weeks between doses was better than 6 wks (or maybe it was 4).

The tradeoff is that you are presumably less protected in the time between doses.