COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Typical Brits - take something from an ex-colony and claim it as your own.

4 Likes

c1

c2

c3b

c4

15 Likes

wut

anyway, I get that people love dunking on Nate Silver but wow there are a ton of people showing their asses. Nate tweeted a thought about how the JNJ pause will impact vaccine hesitancy and a bunch of bozos are slamming him because heā€™s not a vaccine/epidemic/whatever expert, whichā€¦ makes no sense at all.

1 Like

Dunking on Nate Silver always makes sense.

1 Like

If having an uninformed opinion is bad, we all deserve to be dunked on.

Most of us donā€™t have Nate Silverā€™s reach.

https://twitter.com/justiceaudre/status/1382328837044908033?s=21
Huh

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1382802447102525445

7 Likes

THATā€™S LIBERAL TYRANNY!!! ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO SILENCE CONSERVATIVE VOICES ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES!!!1!!1

We have a new superintendent for our K-12 school district. Apparently, in a recent zoom meeting he announced that:

• he hopes for a non-masked school year in 2021-2022
  • remote learning will not be available for high schoolers

Now, maybe the first point is just aspirational - Iā€™m hoping for a non-masked school year as well. But my to-be 9th and 10th grade kids will likely not be eligible for a vaccine (under 16). So Iā€™m semi-seriously entertaining the (remote?) possibility of suing the school district if spread continues to be high, they donā€™t offer remote learning, and they donā€™t require masks.

I legitimately think this would be a reasonable lawsuit, based on Ohioā€™s guarantee of a free and appropriate public education to everyone - you canā€™t force students to attend an unsafe school, without offering any safe alternatives. On the other hand, the idea of even considering suing a school district makes me wonder if Iā€™ve lost my mind.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be so sure of that part.

Iā€™m guessing that there will be at least one approved and available vaccine for ages 12+ before August.

Got my second dose of moderna this morning. So far all is well. But fully expect to wake up in the middle of the night not feeling so great. Meh. Maybe knowing youā€™re supposed to feel sick will make you (me) feel less sick? Weā€™ll see.

12 Likes

I feel better today. That was really, really mild. Bit of a headache and fatigue and body aches. I guess my immune system sucks? Jk. Is it well understood why some have reactions and others donā€™t?

12 Likes

Not entirely.

The thing that affected the Czech Republicā€™s response to covid is the idea that it is somehow acceptable to cut down testing and vaccines on weekends and holidays by 80%. Thatā€™s taken to an even greater extreme on holidays. Itā€™s partly why weā€™ve fallen further behind in vaccinating when we should be accelerating.

Viruses donā€™t take weekends but apparently public health does.

I think it would be great. Especially if you could livestream it like tbabs v admo.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same here. Still took advil this morning and will work in a nap.

1 Like

Beyond fucked

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2021/04/16/ford-to-further-close-economy-as-ontario-modelling-predicts-more-than-30000-new-covid-19-cases-a-day-in-may.html

Amid alarming new projections of skyrocketing COVID-19 infections, Premier Doug Ford is further closing down Ontarioā€™s economy in hopes itā€™s not too late to prevent a health-care disaster.

Modelling released Friday by the provincial governmentā€™s science table of expert advisers predicted a worst-case scenario of more than 30,000 new infections a day by the end of next month unless strict measures are taken.

• Why has it suddenly got worse?
  • New variants - especially the UK variant, B1.1.7 - account for more than two-thirds of infections in Ontario

ā€œOur childrenā€™s hospitals are admitting adults. This has never happened in Ontario before. Itā€™s never happened in Canada before.ā€