COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

The timing is especially irritating to me because they made the big announcement before most people under 50 are actually fully vaccinated. I got my shots the first day I was eligible and I won’t hit the magic two weeks post vaccine until the 20th. At least give it 5 weeks from the time 12-15 year olds were authorized or something ffs.

3 Likes

I don’t blame the CDC. I blame governments that won’t make people prove they’ve been vaccinated, which is the logical policy to derive from the CDC announcement.

2 Likes

One thing that’s really irritating about the demasking announcement is that it’s the democrats once again doing something that will please deplorables who will never ever vote for them.

7 Likes

Appreciate the thoughtful response. I’m certainly in the “give it just a while longer!” camp, but we were rapidly approaching a situation where the vaccinated were starting to get a bit louder with the whole, “uh, if I’m vaccinated and am protected and don’t really transmit it, why do I need a mask?” situation.

And that quickly turns to attacks against the CDC for continuing to recommend universal masking, when the science doesn’t really support the claim that vaccinated folks need it. OMG politicized CDC?! What a disaster! And that’s exactly what we criticized them for at the beginning when we felt they weren’t acting decisively enough because we thought they were trying to tiptoe around the Trumpers.

Ugly situation, for sure.

1 Like

I think it’s obvious some of the motivation of the announcement was to try and motivate people to get vaxed. Biden even directly tweeted it right after. (GET VAXED FOR NO MASK!!!) The problem with that is it grossly misunderstands the deplorables in USA #1. I mean that applies pretty much across the board wrt Dem strategy but this is a very clear example.

1 Like

50-100k COVID deaths for a very long time annually sounds about right to me, maybe a little low. I mean, the seasonal flu averages around 36k a year, and Covid is way worse.

1 Like

The flu is not really comparable to this though

I performed a personal scientific study that showed 100% elimination of major side effects from Moderna by consuming edibles, so MC should be good, but you might want to take that into consideration.

2 Likes

In what way is it not? They’re both highly contagious respiratory diseases, but Covid is way more contagious. Covid is also way more severe for unvaccinated. And it looks likely that about 20-30 percent of our population will remain unvaccinated forever, so…

You are completely misrepresenting what I’m saying, and not only that, maligning my character. What other possible fucking response do you want?

To answer your question - yes, if I was still unvaxxed, I’d be fine with the announcement and vaxxed going maskless, because they’d POSE LITTLE TO NO RISK TO ME. If other morons wanna go unvaxxed that would have literally no effect on me because I’d still be sheltering like I was for a year, and wearing my mask if I did have to venture out.

The vaccines for COVID are more effective and more used than the flu vaccines.

The most important one is that covid has not demonstrated an ability to mutate so that it can reinfect people like flu. Unless it does that, it will be limited.

1 Like

This is what I wanted to say and you said it better than I could, thanks.

Seasonal vaccination rate for flu is about 50 percent. So yes, more people are getting Covid vaccines, but that is outweighed by the significant differences in severity, mortality, and infectiousness of Covid versus seasonal flu.

Fair enough. I guess time will tell. After a year in which the US probably had an actual fatality rate of like 900,000 from Covid, it just seems so unlikely that the annual fatality rate drops below 50k, but I guess we’ll see.

We just spent a year+ establishing viral reservoirs all over the planet so there’s going to be plenty of opportunity for it to evolve.

3 Likes

Thing is it will be less worse every year (recommend the link bobo posted earlier today). Also, vaccines seem to work waaaaay better on this covid than other coronaviruses and it mutates pretty slowly. I think it’s pretty reasonable that it goes <30k after a few years, depending on whether people continue to get vaccines and boosters after the immediate danger is gone.

This is a problem.

Am I imagining it or did someone earlier in the thread post about PA’s numbers going up after lifting the mask rule? Because if someone did post that, that’s just false:

PA cases are down 45 percent in 14dma.

Off topic but is it really a standard option to get bacon with the Impossible Whopper or do you have to custom order it? Kinda tempted to get one like that.

1 Like