COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

This will get less lethal as years go, though tha doesn’t mean we all go back to normal.

It’s been justified, and this nonsense isn’t going to change that. You should be far more respectful to others here. It’s reasonable to have disagreement with the cdc’s position here, but you are not the only one who cares about covid here, nor do you hold some sort of clear moral or expert authority.

Sure, who do most of the worldwide Comics think was the best?

A scotsman called Billy Connelly

1 Like

The nonsense is the idea that the CDC didn’t consider any of those things or don’t directly address those things in their guidance. The disrespectful bullshit should end now.

It isn’t my “fucking problem” anymore. I’m fully vaccinated and shut myself in my home for a year. I have a single roommate who is vaccinated. What on earth is me masking up for a few more weeks gonna do.

If we extend your line of thinking to its conclusion then we should just wear masks forever because there’s always gonna be a nonzero chance of someone being exposed and dying.

The vaccines clearly work. People have had enough of this. I’ve had enough of it certainly. It isn’t selfish to feel this way or breathe a sigh of relief once you are fully vaccinated. Lots of these same people have already done their part.

I’m sorry but I have very little sympathy for people who choose to be unvaccinated. There are a very small number of people who will be at risk because they cannot get the vaccine - but me wearing a mask does not really do anything to help them. What needs to happen is everyone needs to be vaccinated. The CDC recommendation does not impede this. Maskless morons were always gonna be maskless morons and they have been doing so THIS ENTIRE PANDEMIC.

I will give you a real world scenario. I was in vegas this weekend and masks were PURELY optional. 50% or more of people still opted to wear them. I think you are really exaggerating the number of theoretical deaths that this will cause. What, IYO, will the number of deaths be from not delaying this recommendation?

I’m trying really hard to be nice here but you keep throwing out morality words like selfish and stuff, it’s hard to not interpret some of the stuff you’re saying as a broad brush attack on people who are saying “yes, I am vaccinated, I pose little risk to myself or others, therefore I will not wear a mask unless required.”

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/perryfarrell/status/1394710910980157443?s=19

Video is cringe but in an endearing way. Perry Ferrell has had a weird trajectory in life.

1 Like

Me, trolly, up in general at this point. Being arrogant enough to believe that you have the only reasonable position here is bullshit

This is pretty much where I’m at too. I would like it if there were more of a stick to be used against the unvaccinated but I’ve come to realize that it’s just not going to happen in this world. Tying restriction lifting to vaccine acceptance was a good idea. But by early May it was clear that was trending in the wrong direction as vaccine supply started outstripping demand despite huge swaths of unvaxxed people. Only 70% of the country was even willing to consider a vaccine, let alone go out and get one. The gov’t took the easy way out. I don’t 100% agree with it, but I get it.

Austrians:

Homer Simpsons - Looking Left And Right

3 Likes

I completely disagree with this interpretation. There’s a reasonable argument that says young kids aren’t at serious risk of hospitalization or death from COVID, and so once the most at-risk population has been vaccinated or had the opportunity to be vaccinated, we should start opening up. Because the mental anguish on kids is very real (the way that it’s real for everyone), and the primary reason for closing schools (imo) was to protect the at-risk population, not to protect the kids themselves.

4 Likes

One thing I found myself agreeing with Trump’s (!) surgeon general about during his CNN interview yesterday was when he said (paraphrasing) that the CDC was going to get this criticism pretty much no matter when they made this announcement. I think it’s because there are so many who are refusing to get vaccinated and so the risk will always be there to some degree.

3 Likes

Just because one person had a bad reaction to the vaccine that’s no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater from the 49th floor of your New York apartment.

4 Likes

IMO the issue is the de facto end of masking for all and the broader policy decisions, not what you are doing as a vaccinated individual.

Im not a scientist, but the CDC science on vaccinated individuals seems relatively sound. Maybe not as cautious as they could be, but vaccinated individuals likely are low risk to others, they cite data, I dont really have an issue with it.

But it strains credulity that team Biden didnt understand this was a de facto end to masking. We decided not to go the broad vax passport route. OK, I get that, wasnt really on board with that anyways yet for various reasons.

But it is that combination that rubs me the wrong way. There was a path where we vaccinated and then used verification to open, or a path where we didnt do vax passports but were going to use indoor masking until we could vaccinate everyone (kids likely still months away) We chose the latter. Then we got a bad jobs number and the public grumbled and suddenly, poof, masks done. If the unvaccinated dont mask, dont blame us, out of our hands, unfortunately we cant verify who is vaxxed and gosh who could have seen that coming. Just seems like a politically expedient punt from team Biden with the usual victims of inequities bearing the costs of the policy along with the right wing anti-vaxxers.

3 Likes

In Soviet Czechia, Sudentenland annexes you.

5 Likes

Dude, wtf with that metaphor? You do know how Clapton’s son died?

Just got my 2nd Moderna.

Up next: 50mg THC edibles, Impossible burger (add bacon), IPAs. That’s the formula, right?

19 Likes

Demonstrably death cult. I hope they continue to progressively pursue avenues that greatly reduce their life expectancy.

Got to get exercise, eating healthy and colonoscopies on the lefty list. (Although first two they might oppose mostly already)

Lol i also get impossible burgers with bacon

2 Likes

As much as I love THC beer and burgers I can assure you there was a window about 6 to 36 hours after Moderna #2 where I wanted none of those things. All I wanted was a bed, pillow, and blanket. 36 hours later I was ready to go though.

3 Likes

I’m not going to call it a lie, but I am going to disagree with the idea that we need to identify the most conservative possible point of view/risk assessment, and then cater to exactly that point of view. You say that parents “are not going to be able to take their kids places”, but that’s not true. There will be parents who choose not to take their kids places if not everyone is masked, because those parents perceive an unacceptable risk to their kids in such a scenario. And there will be other parents who want their kids to have the opportunity to be around other kids unmasked, and who don’t perceive an unacceptable risk to their kids. I don’t think simply erring to the side of “maximum safety” is appropriate. (And I say this as someone whose currently-unvaccinated kid is never around anyone unmasked.)

Just grabbing some numbers quickly from https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-W/vsak-wrfu

When I look at these numbers for the under 12 population, it’s hard for me to say that we need to keep restrictions on for the sake of the <12 children who can’t get vaccinated. (Of course every death is a tragedy, for real. But I do not believe a zero-death expectation is reasonable.) If I were making the rules, I’d lift restrictions as soon as everyone >12 who wanted the vaccine has had the ability to do so. (Probably >=18). I honestly have no idea how close or far away from that we currently are, so I can’t say if I’m perfectly on board with the CDC’s announcement…