COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Three is the no brainer here. While CDC guidance is technically correct it is not good for actual policy and they should have pulled some punches.

Their responsibility goes beyond just reporting science.

Weren’t people freaking out a week or two ago about how the CDC guidelines said vaccinated people needed to wear masks indoors, complaining that there was no scientific reason that supported masking for vaxxed folks (I think I remember hearing the word theatre used a bunch)…

And now we’re mad at them because they said vaccinated people don’t need masks indoors (which seems scientifically valid) but they shouldn’t have said it because it gives cover to the unvaxxed folks to act like morons, and they have a responsibility to keep that from happening?

Seems fucked either way, tbh.

Ignoring the context and errors in a dataset is not a valid analysis

Don’t necessarily disagree with this. What xyz would you suggest where lifting mask mandates would be reasonable if you ruled the world?

When Jim Jordan was being a fucking idiot towards Fauci in Congress, Fauci had opined around 10K cases nationwide.

Well, if you’re gonna keep saying how “super fucking easy” it is to make policy recommendations, it’s worth noting that stuff like this is a lot messier than it might seem at first.

The same data. That doesn’t change anything in this discussion. Purposely ignoring context and errors in a dataset is not valid.

You made an argument that relied, in part, that we have more cases now than we did this time last year. That is almost certainly untrue. Refusing to acknowledge that is a refusal to accept reality in this discussion.

Much like your reaction about contact transmission, the data here is actually pretty damn good and the position of the CDC is easily justified. It might end up being wrong, but acting like the CDC can’t make a good argument for their action is just not true.

Seems like it was a little premature, but mostly I’m glad I don’t have to deal with any of this, you couldn’t pay me enough.

Yeah, OK.

Can Brit comics be funny when not surnamed Bean or Python? :thinking:

My usual song and dance? Position of the CDC? What the hell are you talking about? You really want a link to their position?

Well here you go?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

You seem super emotional about this, and it seems to be clouding your reasoning severely. It’s perfectly possible to make a reasonable argument that masks should continue for the next few weeks. Loudly screaming like this is the only reasonable position remains foolish.

1 Like

So maybe it’s low enough already? I dunno, just saying I’m mad that they said vaccinated people don’t need masks indoors because spread is too high, but won’t give a tease at what low enough spread might be makes me think that maybe community spread metrics aren’t what you’re using to base your distaste with their decision on imo.

1 Like

Read. the. links. click more on the links on the linked cdc page.

You did, because they didn’t make their argument that way.

+1

maybe for the best.

The reason why you get told to read the link because it is the gold standard. It’s the CDC’s reasoning why they’re doing what they’re doing. You asked for their justification; I gave it to you.

Their summary is this:

Risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection is minimal for fully vaccinated people. The risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission from fully vaccinated people to unvaccinated people is also reduced. Therefore, fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance. Fully vaccinated people should also continue to wear a well-fitted mask in correctional facilities and homeless shelters. Prevention measures are still recommended for unvaccinated people.

and:

Currently authorized vaccines in the United States are highly effective at protecting vaccinated people against symptomatic and severe COVID-19. Additionally, a growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. How long vaccine protection lasts and how much vaccines protect against emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants are still under investigation.

The CDC’s position can be boiled down to: the vaccines are amazingly effective and therefore things like masks are not needed for them. There’s a thorough review of the literature behind that link.

The also link a science brief on their reasoning here.

The reason why you get asked to read the link is not because we can’t explain the position to you, it’s because we don’t want to waste time on you. If you can’t read those links, why should anyone bother?

I think the main problem with the CDC guidance is that it lowers the mask compliance of non-vaccinated morons from poor to non-existent. That undoubtedly will lead to higher spread amongst that group which is bad.

That being said at some point those of us who have acted responsibly have to let go of the idea that we are ever going to fix this situation or solve Covid through our own actions or caring. This is very much a sink or swim moment for people here and at the point basically everyone over 12 years old has the chance to save themselves maybe we don’t need to continue to compromise our own lives because morons can’t manage to protect themselves.

Like it’s going to suck having 50-100,000 people a year dying from Covid in perpetuity. Those people in 99% of cases will only have themselves to blame.

My wife and I got in a big fight last week about a family camping trip with her family. None of them are vaccinated. None. The original plan was for us to go out in 2-3 different cars and camp outdoors for a few days. Then that turned into a few insisting on renting a large van and going together. When I asked if any of them planned to get vaccinated and told them I thought that was a poor idea I got in a huge debate about how “they all spend time together anyways” and “we all have good immune systems”. The fact my wife and I were the only ones considering her parents who are 60 being high risk around a bunch of people in an enclosed space for hours/days who are taking zero precaution made them act like we were assholes or something.

Like do I just say fuck it, they are adults and can make up their own minds? Or what is my responsibility? At some point we have to let the morons who are hellbent on getting and spreading Covid do it and let nature take its course. That sucks but it is reality and there is no stopping it.

8 Likes

I don’t think the number of deaths will be nearly that high. Maybe next year, ok, but not in perpetuity. Agree with the rest of your post.

It does. The answer, again, is that the vaccines are so effective. You also did not read those links in their entirety, as it talks about stepwise reductions in restrictions.