COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Me too man. Me too. Also the wear and tear on our front line medical workers will be a price we pay for years.

Yeah weā€™re pretty well fucked if thereā€™s another bug like smallpox or polio that breaks out.

1 Like

I donā€™t know the science behind this but I think we actually wouldā€™ve had better death outcomes if the mortality rate had been higher. Not much higher but enough to scare people into lockdowns, and denying it being impossible.

1 Like

Oooh a new update!

6 Likes

I sort of get that thought, but it is also somewhat risky because if we do run bad on variants and COVID spins away again they are donezo

Lol, it is definitely, absolutely, postiively, going to be 36 and a half year olds next. Are you an even or odd birth month? Cuz itā€™s going to be whatever you are not.

Also please donā€™t get rid of Churchill until he can pay our covid bet. @churchill Iā€™ll take 90% today if you want.

2 Likes

What is the bet?

Us wont hit new highs in case numbers in 2021. My 500 to his 250.

Lol, when did you make that bet?

Edit: As in, did you make that bet back wehn the US had just come off itā€™s 300k cases in one day peak and it was possible we could go back up, or did you make that bet recently when the US was under 100k cases a day? Because the first scenario, ok, thatā€™s a fair bet with probably the correct odds, and the second bet is holy shit you got yourself some dumb money.

2-3 months ago.

March.

I have yet to lose a Covid bet over a decent sample size.

2 Likes

When do I get my cut?

3 Likes

Beers on me when I make it your way. Just remind me where you are haha. Would love it tbh. We havenā€™t always agreed but we mostly have and you have helped keep me sane the last 14 months. Thank you friend.

That really applies to anyone here. Even Caffeine. I know we have feuded. Even ugly at times. But I appreciate you all. Iā€™d be lying to say the last year+ hasnā€™t worn on me and I have acted out as a coping mechanism. Everything I posted probably I truly believe but the vitriol towards the few who got it was probably slightly misguided with an exception or two.

18 Likes

Philly I rarely drink so how about a cheesesteak here or some bbq ribs there?

I feel like this is the correct take. CDC guidelines should reflect their best understanding of the risks. Misleading people as some half-thought-out ploy to manipulate their behavior is how the CDC torched its credibility in the first place. It makes a lot of sense to keep indoor mask mandates in place, but thatā€™s for political actors to enforce. CDC needs to stay in its lane, so to speak. Everyone else needs to learn to make responsible decisions without appointing a grown-up to tell you you donā€™t have a choice.

2 Likes

Of course. If you ever make it in the vicinity lmk and vice versa.

I do think some of the on the fence people will be more persuaded to get vaccinated now that the deplorables are running around without masks.

2 Likes

Literally a variation of the one joke that conservatives have.

Wow, you must have never visited the Babylon Bee.

1 Like