COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Well, add him to the list I guess.

Insurance is for cowards.

I canā€™t control their cameras. Itā€™s Google Meet. They keep their cameras off by choice.

Used to have mine on regularly and sat at a desk like a normal person with nice clothes. Later, I didnā€™t. They definitely werenā€™t.

1 Like
2 Likes

Heā€™s been on the list since his support for an openly racist UK politician in the 1970s.

16 Likes

Even earlier. Heā€™s been suspect since Cream broke up in 1968 and he started up as the main singer/songwriter.

Gov Murphy (NJ) announced today that the state will keep its indoor mask mandate in place. This will certainly send some deplorable lawnmowers into orbit.

2 Likes

Itā€™s way more than ā€œhints atā€. It is almost certainly true. This is basic germ theory stuff that fits in with everything we know about disease spread. Itā€™s the opposite of ā€˜kids donā€™t spread respiratory virusesā€™ crap. They just havenā€™t done a full RCT on this, which isnā€™t likely to happen.

1 Like

Damn it, Eric!

It isnt plausible for the CDC, or more broadly the Biden administration, to think this guidance will only reduce masking among the vaccinated.

The real money quote is Cuomo.

ā€œLetā€™s get back to life,ā€ Cuomo said, speaking from Radio City Music Hallā€™s grand auditorium. ā€œIf you are vaccinated, you are safe. No masks. No social distancing.ā€

No surprise that we are going to end up at individual risk tolerance, but surprised it is moving so fast. The message is definitely hey, thanks for the caution over the last year, but now you guys need to suck it up and take some risk. Thanks front line workers for your bravery, now please go police our half assed vaccine rules. Sort of sucks and puts a point on how ā€œwe are all in this togetherā€ was a completely blatant lie.

Kids arent even addressed in half these state mandate changes, just :man_shrugging: good luck I guess?

2 Likes

Maybe they want to prove that they are not driven by politics and optics in a post-Trump world.

These signs were everywhere on the vegas strip this last weekend;

No plexiglass at tables. No enforcement (how could they really). Iā€™d say mask use was roughly equivalent to the % of population thatā€™s vaccinated. It was about 50/50 mask use. I opted not to wear one most of the trip. Donā€™t really regret it and I live with a vaccinated roommate and see no one else, zero chance I can expose anyone at risk if I got a breakthrough case.

All in all Iā€™m surprised and pleased at the number of people that were wearing masks. I really hope it was out of an abundance of caution or habit rather than they werenā€™t actually vaccinated, because vegas is the last place in the world you should be if unvaxxed.

I had an extreme amount of anxiety the first 12 hours about it and then it settled down. I trust the vaccine, I trust the science and the data, and while the current CDC guidance seems like itā€™s jumping the gun a bit, I donā€™t really see how this was not inevitable.

It sort of is what it is. But if we hit the tail risk and either get a real death spike or more financially crushing lockdowns, gotta say gonna be real hard for me to drum up a lot of sympathy. The vaccines are so good that with somewhat minimal precautions we could basically open up safely soon but nah, masks too hard.

States were already going this way, bigly. Even California OFBā€™d weeks ago, with very minor restrictions and what does exist is not enforced.

Iā€™m not sure what delaying the cdc guidance would realistically have done. It was going this way. Cdc is late to the party.

Some very cool anti-vax information from a Facebook group with roughly 10,000 members:

Odds of dying after going to work ~ 1 in 58,823. We should all stop going to work.

This is absolutely insane. No way is the lottery only 0EV.

1 Like

Only good story I ever heard about him was when Hendrix was in the audience for a Cream gig soon after he arrived in London and before most non-musos knew about him, and Jimi was asked if heā€™d like to jam on stage with the band.

Afterwards someone asked Clapton if he was going to some party or other and he unusually said ā€œNoā€. When they asked him where he was going, the reply was ā€œIā€™m going home to practiceā€.

3 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m missing a joke, but Ohio is holding 5 lotteries of $1 million each for vaccinated adults. Roughly 5 million individuals have been vaccinated already, and are eligible to participate and win one of those 5 lotteries. So if you are considering taking the vaccine, you should kow that you are (according to this) 20x more likely to die from the vaccine than you are to win the vaccination lottery.