COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Because they are annoying to wear for long stretches. People in the Far East don’t wear a mask every time they go to the gym or the movies ffs.

I suggest you take a holiday in the Far East and observe. Maybe they don’t mask up in the gym but they do in many other situations that the West could learn a lot from.

1 Like

Yes, you aren’t like an anti-vaxxer in every way. You want the vaccine, for example. Well done.

As more news evolves it’s a quick spreader! But meh, prolly not in the US (right).

The government has given more details about measures that will be deployed in England amid growing concern at the spread of the Indian Covid variant.

It said the “speed of growth is concerning” and that it was “considering additional action if deemed necessary”.

Measures could include bringing forward second vaccine doses for some people in areas where there have been spikes.

Public Health England has recorded 1,313 UK cases of the Indian variant.

The figures released on Thursday are more than double the 520 cases recorded by PHE up to 5 May.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the government was supporting areas where cases were rising and urged people to “continue to be vigilant”.

“We are monitoring the situation very carefully and will not hesitate to take further action if necessary,” he said.

I agree that we cant keep lockdowns and restrictions forever. Part of what makes it frustrating that we arent willing to lower the risk of being forced into more mitigation because the minor inconvenience of wearing a cloth mask for a bit longer is too much of a cross to bear for many Americans even though it is such a super low cost NPI. Thoughts and prayers to those who have had to suffer so much for long.

2 Likes

I like wearing a mask. I feel like a ninja and it’s harder to tell that I’m always frowning.

9 Likes

Nah, I’m sure it’s just our misunderstanding of the English language, and we’re all actually going to die.

1 Like

I wonder how many of those have had kids?

Topical here. We can put covid news elsewhere if you like

Unvaccinated US citizens will die Jman as a result of increased transmission of covid, as will countless others around the world, but alas you probably wont as you have Pfizer (so I get that someone like you are not bothered)

The latest guidance comes as rates of vaccinations begin to slow, with about 35% of Americans now fully vaccinated.

Historians one day will study how it was that we managed to keep fucking bars open but couldn’t keep schools open.

I think the CDC guidance is important to encourage people to get vaxxed. I know a lot of people will lie but… Like for example, California OSHA is apparently considering a rule that employees at shared workplaces will have to wear n95 masks if they are not vaxxed. That kind of thing will help the vaccination drive.

1 Like

Most transmissible of the 4x Indian variants detected 3 weeks ago in the US (stats only updated monthly in US lolz) It’s the dark pink one at the bottom if you wanna watch it take over

I’m just a simple American incapable of reading your fancy English Charts, but sure looks to me like the purple strains have been flat for the past month.

yes, the charts are hard to read, almost illegible but, whatever shade of purple B1.617.2 is, the 'B1.671.2 wasn’t even in the key to the chart two weeks ago (see my earlier informative posts ;) )

I dunno, maybe it will only just double weekly in those countries with a higher vaccination rate and a lower prevalence and a higher testing rate than the US? (UK) Could be. Doubt you care you.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My kids’ school district already sent out an e-mail saying masks are now not required for adults who have been vaccinated since the CDC put out its new guidelines. Kind of figured they’d be all over this, since the superindendent and a couple other school board members wouldn’t even wear a mask a few months ago during a meeting when multiple teachers had just died of COVID and a teacher asked them to wear masks at the meeting.

Obviously, sure, go ahead and drop the mask requirement for vaccinated adults. Yay. But what I don’t get is how will they know who is vaccinated? What’s stopping someone unvaccinated for being all defiant and just not wearing a mask?

Lol, 277 is not much of a fact check on “like 200” and it includes 17-18s who are vaccine eligible.