COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

What is the racial justice angle, though? As far as I can tell the vaccine appointments are equally available to anyone who cares to get them?

Because it’s based on voter registration database. Except, anyone can sign up if they’re not in that database. Or they coudl, you.know, register to vote. I actually think this is a net positive, because who really cares if someone is excluded from a drawing with an EV of like a dollar, but if it incentivizes them to register to vote, then it’s worth more than a dollar anyway.

Just like everyone is guaranteed the right to vote?

Sorry, what? I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. What is based on voter registration? I was just talking about vaccinations in general.

Sure, but this is a bit like “In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.”

If one group of people systematically has less access to the internet to learn about and schedule a vaccination, less ability to take time off to get an appointment, fewer resources to travel to a vaccination location, and a historically-grounded basis for not trusting the federal government with respect to medical issues, that seems relevant.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying but there are identifiable ways that people try to disenfranchise black people. Is there something the vaccine rollout people are doing that specifically steers the vaccine towards white people? If yes, they should stop doing that. But if the explanation is just something systemic racism then I don’t think the vaccine rollout people should focus on trying to solve that.

The thing I quoted was controlled by income though. I certainly don’t think access to internet is the issue for >$100k black people. Also black anti-vaxxers are 99% as bad as white ones, historically founded basis or not.

PS just got my second shot, feeling frisky

10 Likes

Income doesn’t fully control for it, because black families live in poorer neighorhoods than white families at the same income level. So I would definitely expect that, holding income constant, it would be more difficult for black individuals to schedule and obtain a vaccination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/24/poor-whites-live-in-richer-neighborhoods-than-middle-class-blacks-and-latinos/

The new research by scholars at the Stanford Graduate School of Education found that the gap separating black and Hispanic neighborhoods from white ones persists up and down the income ladder. A black household with an annual income of $50,000 lives on average in a neighborhood where the median income is under $43,000. But whites with the same income live in neighborhoods where the median income is almost $53,000—about 25 percent higher.

Meanwhile, white families with an annual income of just $13,000 on average live in neighborhoods where the median income is $45,000—slightly higher than the precincts occupied by middle-class blacks and just below that of middle-class Hispanics. The same dynamic holds for households that making $100,000 annually.

I wouldn’t dismiss all of the really fucked up shit black people had to deal with regarding the government and medicine like this.

The Tuskegee study ended less than 50 years ago.

Fine, 95%.

This is all fair. But I mostly think that the vaccine people should just focus on getting the vaccine out to anyone as fast as possible and other people can work on this systemic stuff so it’s less of a problem in the next pandemic.

Pfizer vaccination today yipee :hugs:

AZ 2nd shot in 12 weeks, seems OKish :grin:

I’m actually feeling less stressed already, weakish left arm and tbh it feels like a slight knock on my funny bone as my pinky seems to be tingling, apart from that all good.

I wonder if the tingling will go away with some thc :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

As we in the UK don’t have a functioning government atm, it helps some of us to understand better when the kind people itt debunk our media sources and government bullshit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1392805835064156161

1 Like

Ask Marty, lol, he’s already done the experiment!

1 Like

People should be worried about new variants, it’s just that he seems to think every new mutation will make vaccines insta-worthless and that not the case at all.

7 Likes

Well, the way I got my shot is that someone on here pointed me to a website that aggregated vaccine availability appointments, which lead me to a Walmart in Bremen, GA, a tiny hamlet in rural Georgia, which allowed me to leave my kids at home and make the one-hour drive to go get vaccinated. You don’t have to strain to see the privilege there.

But that’s just one anecdote. The statistics are clearly saying that the vaccine is not equally available to everyone who wants them. What they’re saying is that if you want the vaccine, you’re more likely to get it if you’re rich and if you’re white. That’s just a fact. The interesting question that needs more attention paid to it is what the factors are that are making it harder for the poor and the nonwhite to get vaccinated and how we can counteract them.

Aus mid 30s and thought the exact same thing.

Hopefully any of those “incentivised” things also apply retroactively.

05/13/21

No one is debunking your media. We’re debunking churchill, who has repeatedly posted garbage itt.

5 Likes