COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/04/nhs-to-invite-all-people-40-and-over-for-life-saving-covid-19-jab/

30th of April and 40+ are getting the jab. I’m 36, before it was 45+ so if things stay the same it can only be a few weeks until it’s 35+ and I’m grabbing that bad boy…

Cut to 12th of may.

Such tilt. How am I getting zenos paradoxed out of a damn vaccine?

13 Likes

Next one 36 year old will get a blood clot so they’ll pause vaccination for 36 year olds and move on to 34 and 35 year olds.

1 Like

Reading something about the Indian mutation spreading through the UK.

Thing is that this is in a Czech news source and they seem to enjoy scaring people with mutation articles. Is this thing legit?

Yes, the mutations are getting ‘better’

It’s a scare article. The post above this one is a scare post. Thus far every variation at best seems to shave a few percentage points of efficacy off of the gold standard mRNA vaccines. And there is no reason to think that the mRNA vaccines couldn’t be modified quickly if a truly vaccine resistant strain popped up.

Look, I was one of the only people on this forum correctly warning about the dangers of Covid in January of 2020. Few listened to me then. In the same vein, I am now warning that the variant hysteria is way overblown. The variants are really bad if youo’re not vaccinated. There is no evidence that’s the case if you are vaccinated.

2 Likes

Figured but it pays to check.

Try to remember there are over 200 countries in the world, not one.

Not every country is using 100% mRNA vaccines? mRNA vaccines have only reported on two of the variants to date and that didn’t go so well. Down to as low as 70%, which is still great but not 95% these days eh?

Variants are only a not a scare to the US becuase they are fortunate enough ot to experience a variant, so far. It’s easy to blame social distancing and opening too early for business when you have no real clue about covid restrictions outside of the US.

1 Like

70 percent is still highly effective. You are fearmongering with no evidence. I cited the MRNA vaccines because I suspect that eventually they are going to be the most widely distributed vaccines worldwide once production ramps up more.

1 Like

Well they’ll need to get redesigning then cause less than 50% efffectiveness in any vaccine doesn’t get approval.

The best type vaccine for the future will depend on the length of immunity (from death) it provides - we should know whether mRNA’s are better or worse on that in what, 3 months. More foreign research you’ll have to open your mind to believe though noted that will be significantly easier if it tells you what you want to hear (T Cell response known to be lower in Pfizer than AZ, certainly in the earlier stages, don’t forget)

Get a vaccine and keep your mask on IMO

Three weeks after he had been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, a science journalist in Delhi developed high fever, a sore throat and a general feeling of discomfort.

On 22 April, Pallava Bagla tested positive for the coronavirus. Four days later, a chest scan showed his clear lungs turning white, a sign of infection.

As the fever persisted, he was admitted to hospital - eight days after his first symptoms.

Official figures claim two to four persons in every 10,000 vaccinated people in India have had a breakthrough infection. But the data appears to be incomplete: for three months those getting tested weren’t asked whether they had been vaccinated.

Several of the vaccines seem to be damn close to 100 percent against serious illness for all known variants. Letting these spread out of control isn’t great, but the vaccine news related to variants has been extremely positive so far.

3 Likes

The problem isn’t that I’m close minded to foreign research. The problem is you are not posting foreign research that supports the fearmongering statements you are making. This has been repeatedly pointed out to you by the actual experts in this thread who understand this stuff.

1 Like

ndian variant in UK ‘a country-wide problem’

Prof James Naismith, director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute, says that the Indian coronavirus variant should not be seen as an issue just affecting a few hotspots, such as Bolton or Glasgow.

“We should view it as a country-wide problem,” he tells BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

He says localised restrictions are unlikely to work, as they previously failed to prevent variants spreading.

“We tried that before in the tiered system, it didn’t really work against the Kent strain so I’m not sure why it would work against the Indian strain,” he said.

“The big difference now is the vaccine campaign. We may not need to have the localised restrictions simply because the vaccine campaign takes care of this in time.”

Asked if the variant could frustrate the vaccination programme, Prof Naismith said vaccines do not 100% prevent infection, but they do almost entirely prevent hospitalisation and serious illness.

He said not enough was known about the Indian variant to see if it would behave differently to this.

Asked if the lockdown should still be lifted or if he was more worried than this, Prof Naismith said a lot would depend on the confidence Sage has on the effectiveness of the vaccine against the Indian strain.

“My gut feeling is that we will see a pressure to perhaps just wait and see a bit longer until we’re a bit more certain - but maybe Sage already have that data - before we continue to unlock."

The first article you posted literally makes the opposite point about vaccines that you are trying to make.

2 Likes

The actual expert is a random, newly qualified ER doc with an abrasive posting style without linkage to his limited anecdotes - I’m posting today’s BBC News, not my findings, but reporting of actual experts like the JVCI.

The problem isn’t your foreign sources. The problem is that your reading comprehension of those sources is off.

2 Likes

The suggestion that the available vaccines are soon to be less than 50% effective and thus scrapped is completely fabricated and not borne out by any available fact to which I am aware and does not appear to have any support in the scientific community. Please stop.

2 Likes

I’m not the only one who has churchill blocked here, right?

I’ve never seen him contribute anything of value to this thread.

3 Likes

@CaffeineNeeded is one of many posters in this thread with a science background who have repeatedly shot you down. Most of them have just stopped at this point because I think you exhausted them.

2 Likes

Reading those latest post I am tempted to wait till I am offered something to get vaccinated. Also anyone know if there should be time between my flu shot and my covid shot. Got my free flu shot booked for Sunday.

1 Like