COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Even if they distributed everything they had it would only be 400k doses, or less than 5% of population.

Sure they could be moving faster, but I’m not sure the current approach of making hospitals do it on top of everything else is optimal. There could have been FEMA vaccine centers in the Javits Center and other locations.

So the whole world is on pace for getting everyone vaccinated somewhere in the next 10-20 years? Awesome. Never mind my complaints. Everything is fine. I’ll just hunker down until I’m 60.

1 Like

What good would it do to engineer a massive war-time infrastructure for mass vaccine distribution when we don’t have enough doses available?

I’m assuming that more will keep trickling in over time, but it isn’t like the US has 100,000,000 doses sitting around that we just can’t distribute.

I get that it could be better but without orders of magnitude more doses it seems to me that it’s all hand waving anyhow. And I don’t think we are ever going to get a truckload of 100m doses showing up any time soon(ever).

You didn’t manage that until 51, never mind 60.

2 Likes

I got a flu shot and my shingle’s vaccine from the pharmacist’s assistant.

As far as what I’ve read, they are taking appropriate measures to vaccinate non-Jew citizens.

1 Like

Yeah. Seriously. Off the top of my head. Use the Defense Production Act to build more deep-freeze freezers and deploy them in strategic locations throughout the country. Use several billion currently wasted on corporate bailouts to hire and train people to give vaccinations. I mean, it was fair to assume most of the medical professionals would be too busy dealing with the covid crunch to help much with vaccinations. Screw the idea of appointments and making seniors wait outside overnight in hopes of getting the vaccine. Instead, just tell people that if they were born on the 11th…they can get vaccinated on the 11th…or some type of similar plan to reduce lines. This is a huge challenge, and it appears everybody just thought somebody else was going to figure it out.

4 Likes

I thought we were past the flu comparisons

Are you ok with the current 10-year timeline?

When did I say that?

I think in every aspect the problem with this rollout is the perfect has been made the enemy of the good.

1 Like

I would bet the pace will pick up. (no one would take the other side though)

You keep defending NYC like nothing could be done better. Something needs to be done better, everywhere in the US, or we’re going to pull out of this in the mid-2020s.

Yeah, this is fucking ridiculous. Veterinarians should be giving vaccines. Medical and nursing students should be giving vaccines. Army medics should be administering vaccines. This is fucking insanity how bad we’re doing at this.

5 Likes

Well one thing for sure that will help is constantly apologizing for the current pace and pointing out that actually the US is doing better than other countries. That will light a fire under the states to think outside the box!

2 Likes

Antifa medics should be giving vaccines.

5 Likes

That was 1,300 people but UK is now adminstering full dose / full dose, I think (?) - just erm eeking out the gap between first and second on the basis of ‘some’ evidence with Oxford and pure (monitored) guess work with Pfizer - and possibly virus raging + running out of vaccine

I’m starting to wonder if the Boomers had it right all along. Just have a pozz party and get it over with. Our govt is a complete basket case (thanks to the Boomers of course). Can’t count on the govt for anything.

To the surprise of absolutely no one.

NBA players agitated for the use of arenas as voting centers. Maybe we should push for sports stadiums and arenas to be used as vaccination centers. They are large so they can accommodate socially-distanced lines. They can protect people from the elements as they wait in the middle of winter. The chance to see these places from the inside might draw more people to come out and get vaccinated. I’m guessing these are more likely to be situated near public transportation that makes them easier for poor people to travel to.

2 Likes