COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I don’t plan to get it and I’m like top 10-20% riskiest on this forum in going to Costa Rica. We’ve had like 3 or 4 posters out of all of us get it.

I think there will be tons of people who don’t get it. My brother in law just got his first jab.

Why don’t you give us your examples of these?

I literally already have.

Yeah my riskiest thing is going to the grocery store and getting takeout. The safest thing I avoid is indoor dining and live poker. Neither of those is going to change if the virus is +/- 50% contagious.

I think being in a closed holiday gathering with relatives is infinitely less safe than a plane ride. There have only been a handful of known instances of people getting it on planes. Airlines have beefed up filtration and cycling in more air from the outside.

It sucks if the masked-up person next to you on a plane happens to be superspreading. But not as bad as if you’re at an indoor gathering with a superspreader where no one is wearing masks.

2 Likes

I was asking Bob. We’ve already discussed yours.

images

2 Likes

Our NYE was takeout, doing some historical research for my wife’s society, some TV and the disappointment at them no longer showing replays of Dick Clark. Curbside pickup Just open the window and masked server handed us the bag. Just a nice local casual dining place.

Not that this is very different for us. We probably eat in a restaurant most years but end up home by 8.

That’s the view of Lin Chen, an infectious disease doctor and president of the International Society of Travel Medicine and director of the Harvard-affiliated Mount Auburn Hospital Travel Medicine Center. She says a review of the available data, though varied, shows that the overall rate of infection from air travel is “very, very low.”

She points to one January flight from China to Canada, when a passenger with a symptomatic case of COVID-19 did not infect any of the 350 passengers on board, according to a brief report by Canadian researchers. And on a flight from New York to Taipei, Taiwan, a passenger with COVID-19 also did not infect anyone else on board, according to Chen.

Researchers have theories for why that’s the case, but again, Chen emphasizes we don’t really know for sure. Maybe it’s masks and symptom-checking. Or the deliberate underbooking many airlines are doing to restore confidence in flying. Or the really insanely efficient ventilation systems.

“Planes have good ventilation systems [in the form of] HEPA filters, with 15 [to] 20 [air] changes per hour, far more than most workplaces,” Karan says. An “air change” means air in the cabin is sucked out and replaced with filtered and/or new air.

I did a lot of research on this before booking my flight. The risk isn’t zero. But it’s pretty low. I have a pilot friend who told me they’ve really beefed up the air exchange.

There was an Aer Lingus flight where multiple people got sick. And one other one. But those were the only ones I found.

And with the required covid testing just to board an international flight, your chances are even lower

Yeah unfortunately Costa Rica only requires covid insurance to get there - no testing. And the return flight was the one time no one took my temperature over the whole 10 days. They just want you out of the country at that point.

My friend has to quarantine in Germany for 14 days - a legit quarantine where she could get in big trouble if she leaves her house.

LA is like - dude, try not to do any non-essential activities when you get back, but whatever man, it is what it is.

Darwin laughing, spreads his wings.

1 Like

Two weeks ago, all I needed to do was fill out a form online prior to my flight to flying from Europe to the US. Got a covid test before flying but wasn’t even asked for it.

Now, I need to fill out paperwork for the Netherlands (since I’m transferring through Amsterdam) and the Czech Republic then pay way too much for a covid test.

Shuffle has a scary story of catching it in a grocery store in the OOT covid thread. Anyone know how reliable that poster is? Because to get fairly serious covid from a quick trip to a grocery store is kinda scary.

no real way of knowing how you get the 'vid
Anything can happen too, someone is going to be unlucky

The Lord moves in mysterious ways. For instance, sometimes He’ll just infect the shit out of his flock:

3 Likes

But you’re self-isolating anyway though right? - no trips to the store or takeout collection etc for a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

All nominees. How many were still hanging out with family members on day 3,4,5,6 and passed it along? 44 has got to end up being what 200 minimum? Most likely some olds in there.

More fuel to the Jesus as inspiration for stupid or evil shit per the ahole thread.

Transmission difference for new variant is ‘extreme’ - scientist

A study by Imperial College of the new variant of the coronavirus apreading across the UK has found that it boosts the R number - the measure of how quickly the epidemic spreads - by between 0.4 and 0.7.

That means every 10 people infected are likely to infect between four and seven extra people if they have the new variant, compared to previous strains of the virus.

“That doesn’t sound like much but the difference is quite extreme," Imperial College’s Prof Axel Gandy told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“Under the November lockdown conditions, the reproduction rate was in the region of 0.9 and with the old variant that would mean that over two to three weeks, the cases would decrease by about 30% - whereas in the new variant they would triple."

Prof Gandy said that since the November lockdown had been eased, it did not look like there was evidence to suggest school children were more likely to carry the new variant.

As we were saying…

1 Like