COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I’m guessing it has something to do with a lot of nurses coming from poorer/immigrant/minority families where suspicion of the govt is rampant. Also maybe maybe having to work in hospitals where they weren’t given proper PPE for a long time and don’t trust the hospital administration at all either.

1 Like

I assume the cops will be along any minute to shoot him.

What’s that? A white guy?

My apologies, I assume his paid leave of absence will begin any time now

No sex is that good… especially at 70

Who had WV and SD winning the vaccination race at the end of 2020?

Maybe doctors are smart enough not to say the quiet parts out loud, but factoring in the difference for population sizes it does seem anecdotally nurses are magnitudes more likely to not get this vaccine (or others).

My Dad had an appointment for his glaucoma 14 days ago at the VA, up close and personal with the eye doctor. He was supposed to have a follow up today and just found out his eye doctor is out with covid.

Great job with contract tracing VA! The funny part though is my dad would have been crippled with stress if they notified him a few days after the appt. And he never goes anywhere anyway. So it actually worked out better this way.

I don’t think that’s it. Nursing education is extremely superficial when it comes to immunology, cell biology, and the like. To be far, even doctors don’t get a ton of this stuff, but they do get some.

Here’s a not great analogy.

The difference between a doctor and a nurse is kind of like the difference between people who use computers daily and people who have degrees in computer science, develop software and are solving problems related to computer systems daily.

If new problem arises, even if it is something neither group has seen before, the latter group is better equipped to understand it.

Yeah, them too.

Right - their eduction isn’t affecting it anyway. Some presumed seeing covid in action might sway more nurses to want a vaccine. So my guess is a lot of nurses are just picking this general mistrust of govt attitude from their families.

I saw a survey last night - the groups who said they’re most likely to turn down the vaccine:

young republicans
young women
black Americans

Not really. I get what you’re alluding to. Just because we can explain their aversion and understand why they developed it, doesn’t mean that it is rational to apply that aversion in this case.

I get why they might feel that way also. That doesn’t make it correct. Forgivable, perhaps.

1 Like

Yup. But they’re supposed to magically know that this time it’s for their own good and they’re not being lied to.

Same with everyone who sees pesticides, asbestos, lead in the water, yellow cake uranium, trickle down, cigarettes, etc.

We’re expecting people to make informed decisions on when their govt is and isn’t lying to them and to understand what vaccines are and aren’t capable of doing long term. I’m not surprised many of them aren’t willing to take the leap of faith the FDA/CDC/clinical trials process isn’t as corrupted as the rest of our govt obviously is.

3 Likes

I don’t know about that. If you’re doing something limited to a specific group of any kind, I’ll allow some paranoia. If your goal is to do something to literally everybody including the people doing the experiments and every other country is doing the same thing, that is a whole different ball of wax.

Don’t forgot that a solid chunk of nurses are true blue deplorables.

I’m not surprised either. But although I’m not surprised, I don’t think it is rational in this case.

Although I suppose it would help to articulate what the specific fear is. I guess I can imagine certain specific fears that may qualify, but they would have to be quite specific.

As are a solid chunk of doctors.

Also “true blue deplorables” sounds weird. Can we call them “true red deplorables”? The pairing of the blue and deplorables seems odd although your meaning is unambiguous and usage is technically correct.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/san-franciscos-lockdown-and-quarantine-has-been-extended-indefinitely/ar-BB1co5BB?li=BBnb7Kz

I just learned something new.

It seems like those $200/hour traveling surge jobs should start making vaccination a requirement for the job in a few months

Although 40% is obviously terrifyingly few then the problem is not yet people refusing, for the moment it’s just people in old people homes getting it and even directors of those are asking where the fuck the vaccines are. I suspect the ‘pedagogy’ angle is spin by a government who are incompetent.

I thought Madonna invented it.

1 Like