COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

If the percentage is that high, it would seem that your choice is between having unvaccinated staff or just not having enough staff to take care of everyone (because all who decline are let go).

Thoughts on nurses in hospitals who decline? There are apparently a fuckton of those (or so I’ve heard). Should the hospitals be sued into oblivion as well?

This vaccine rollout is already a disaster. We’re going to lose at least another month due to having completely incompetent people in charge.

2 Likes

My understanding is that it takes the second dose to get “full” protection.

The best number I’ve heard and easiest to think about is 1/2 protection with just one shot.

For now assume the 1/2 dose for the first dose is speculation. It doesn’t exist except in the imagination for now. It sounds to me like the Oxford folks aren’t 100% in agreement with what actually happened in the Italy trials. Don’t trust it yet.

Given the priority of front line workers and olds, only protecting them by 1/2 seems stupid to me. Stick with the plan. Shot1-21days-shot2.

Besides we have more doses than actual shots in arms at least in Trumps America.

^ not my expertise just my reading of the common press
^^further studies may come up with more efficient dosing schemes

1 Like

Both Modern and Pfizer look like they can be frozen for six months. So shelf life isn’t an issue unless getting the vaccine out is going to take longer than that. I think it will take some severe incompetence to run into that problem, although it’s possible, I guess.

After 61 days wuth zero cases, Melbourne has just had 3 new cases. They seem to be imported from a growing cluster (up to 18 cases per day) in Sydney. That cluster doesnt seem to be under control.

Not sure what will happen, we may be facing more lockdowns before the vaccine rollout (starting in March) has any real impact.

Hey now, what have we said about kink shaming?

1 Like

I got tested today. I have had problems with sinusitis since around October, so I have always felt some symptoms that could be COVID-related, which put me in an awkward situation (was on fall break for school for the first twelve days anyway, but went to work afterwards.) Things were slowly getting better, but three days ago I felt very weak and this morning my throat was soar. It is probably nothing, but before I can see my GP I have to get tested with these symptoms. I will get the result tomorrow around noon, according to the doctor who took the test.

Short trip report on the test, for those interested how this works in (rural) Germany:

I called my GP around nine and they told me, they would forward my data to the doctor who does the test (there is a testing site run by the Red Cross in my county, but due to staffing between Christmas and NewYear‘s not all facilities are open).
They called me at noon and told me to be at the doctors office around ninety minutes later and call them to announce that I am there. There were around ten people and they told all of us to wait in the parking lot (most people left their cars, but we were around ten to fifteen feet apart and wearing masks). The doctor called us into the office one by one. All the doors were open and he told me not to touch anything while I was in there.
The test itself took only a few seconds and I had expected it to be more uncomfortable than it was. Then He gave me the test tube and I had to drivability to the lab myself (ten minutes). He said the result would probably have been available today if I had been a few hours earlier.
I know that Red Cross Center in my county lets you check your result online, but the doctor said, he would call me tomorrow.

13 Likes

Why is Australia waiting so long to start jabbing? Will at least the health care workers get it sooner?

Yeah. Its tough. But “should i allow my staff to kill my patients” kind of only has one answer, no?

If that were the standard (and I’m not saying it’s wrong) it would make nearly as much sense to have mandatory flu vaccination in normal years. I have heard of places where that is a thing (and you can still get medical or religious exemptions), but it’s certainly not universal.

A couple of things.

1. They are working through the whole approval process without expediting it.

2…They say they are taking the time to plan tbe full roll out properly.

They are making the argument that because australia is in a much better place, they are justified in being cautious and taking their time.

Thankfully we’ve been fortunate that none have died in college and pro athletics in the US yet. Florida kid came close. Former hoops player did die in Europe along with a couple? Of soccer players?

So it’s not as bad in the short term as feared but long term it scared me even if only 2-3% have long term heart issues.

I sure as shit don’t want it.

No idea if lifetime risk of death or decreased function is likely. Time will tell. Doc posters?

They should definitely have mandatory flu vaccines. Hopefully a different attitide to flu is something good that will come from this.

2 Likes

I think this thesis is a real concern.

Cincinnati is the true champ if they win. Told my Bearcat wife I’ll get a tshirt made special. Just like UCF.

That seems fair. However, I find it hard to believe that the “full approval” process can be done by March. Generally vaccines require much more safety data than has been accumulated. Whatever approval they do may be more thorough, but I think it will still be nonstandard.

Also it’s not clear taking “time to roll out properly” is necessarily better. If they roll out improperly but have a 3 month head start, they will likely get more people vaccinated faster.

Of course, since Aus has more or less beaten this, I think that it’s hard to find fault with any decisions they make. They get the benefit of the doubt.

I must be thinking about this all wrong. I thought the vaccine leaves the “freezer” way before it is actually administered into someone’s arm. Once out of the freezer I thought the vaccine becomes unusable after a few days. So if you drive over a batch of 100 vaccines to a nursing home, and 40 people say they don’t want the vaccine, I thought those 40 unused doses could “go to waste”.

They keep it on dry ice so that equals in the freezer. I don’t think they thaw until very late in the supply chain.

Of course that could get effed up in some places wo a national plan.

I’m going by memory here, but pfizer is good for 5 days out of the freezer and moderna is good for about 30. Pfizer can be stored in dry ice for 30 days if someone keeps replenishing the dry ice. Moderna doesn’t recommend trying to store theirs in dry ice.

So what you do is first figure out how many people are going to take the vaccine and then drive the doses out there (if they don’t have a freezer themselves). And you still have at least a 5 day window to work with, so you don’t have to be that precise.

Right now the vaccine is mainly going to hospitals with freezers (since health care workers are at the front of the line), so there is zero issue. I assume in most major cities there will be places with freezers from which the vaccine can be distributed.

Maybe in more remote areas you could run into a shelf life problem.

Fingers crossed for you.

There are still colds and other nasties going around - I was sneezing all day on Monday and had bad diarrhoea on Tuesday and thought I may have caught covid from a long walk over the weekend where we had to pass a few unmasked idiots, but today I’m 100% fine so I guess it was just a bug.

3 Likes