COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

This relates to a post I made before about how public health as a profession lacks necessary behavioral science skills and knowledge. If a vaccine has a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of killing someone that needs to be described to the public as X times safer than not getting vaccinated.

The public health officials are behaving like journalists - just put the information out there and let people decide!

13 Likes

On the Media (the best podcast nobody listens to) has been all over this exact point for months.

This is an outgrowth of the awful, pervasive economics theory that choice is always good.

Healthcare, 401k, benefits at work, vaccines - everyone is a rational consumer so if you just give individuals the most choices possible, people will be better off!

Thatā€™s quite obviously bullshit.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s just it, though. People donā€™t evaluate these probabilities rationally. Theyā€™re going to freak out over extremely rare vaccine side effects and shark attacks and still drive like deranged lunatics on their way to work.

1 Like

Great post.

Iā€™m not even mad about this stuff anymore. Just resigned and sad.

At some point, we need to consider holding people down and injecting them without giving them a choice in the matter.

Just to pile on this, I actually have a rare example of me thinking of something that my wife thought was a good idea!

She is a physician with a public health degree so sheā€™s pretty plugged in to our regionā€™s Covid response. Sheā€™s on lots of calls with combinations of hospital administrators and government officials and public health officials. When they were designing the roll out of the vaccination plan for hospital workers I asked her to show it to me and I said ā€œwhereā€™s the marketing to convince people to get the vaccine?ā€ It literally didnā€™t occur to anyone at the table that even hospital workers would be vaccine hesitant. Obviously thatā€™s just ignorant people, right? As soon as we assure them itā€™s ready theyā€™ll just take it?

Lol. I think we forget just how much our forum understands how Facebook etc has totally wrecked society with disinformation. People that are more casually into politics just donā€™t get it.

9 Likes

Iā€™m 100% for this, but got piled on when I explicitly said so in this thread. Somehow people here are opposed even to employers mandating it for employees for whom they pay health insurance premiums. So imagine how the general public feels about it.

4 Likes

Like we do for many other things. People canā€™t drive on the highway without a license but we MUST allow them to eat at Applebeeā€™s without basic vaccination? jlawok.gif

2 Likes

Ultimately, we need a technology-assisted surveillance state that makes things like contact tracing trivially easy.

1 Like

I think the best argument against it is purely administrative. Tracking who is vaccinated and who is not, then sending someone (cops?) to enforce it seems unrealistic.

I think strong incentives (travel vaccine passports, fines, etc.) make more sense.

4 Likes

A late train is better than no train at all.

I mean, lets see HR1 pass before we start advocating guillotines over this. We might be two election cycles from Fauci and Walensky being in them with Mike Lindell in charge of pandemic response.

6 Likes

Yes. We are all-in on vaccines and still donā€™t really have a proper vaccination program in place.

Glad I got mine 3 days ago. Iā€™d be livid if I had an appointment soon.

https://twitter.com/GovPhilScott/status/1381970769618595840

What about a late ambulance that arrives after the person having a heart attack is already dead, because they didnā€™t want to race through traffic and risk getting into an accident?

The pandemic is an emergency, vaccination needs to be treated like an emergency response not a consumer choice.

3 Likes

Sort of ironic that the scary new mRNA vaccines seem to be safer than the old-fashioned adenovirus ones.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sure.

But I wasnā€™t referring to delaying the vaccine. :grinning:

1 Like

I just dont think this path in easy one, especially while these vaccines are still EUA

ā€”A person of color refuses the vaccine citing Tuskagee. Now what?
ā€”People file lawsuits citing legitimate religious objections to taking the vaccine. Supreme Court throwing out COVID related religious practice restrictions right and left already.
ā€”17 states sue and issue orders blocking mandated vaccinations in their states and businesses from enacting any COVID restrictions. Fox News and company book every anti-vax guest under the sun.

Im getting vaccinated, I wish everyone would get vaccinated. I dont think thereā€™s a flip the switch solution to this where the government comes from on high and mandates it is in the cards or, ultimately, successful. At best thereā€™s individual state actions requiring vaccination for certain activities.

3 Likes

The military canā€™t even make soldiers, sailors and airmen take the vaccines until they are actually approved by the FDA, instead of just being authorized on an emergency basis.