COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Curious how people feel about this:

Is it okay to drop mask mandates after everyone who wants a vaccine has been vaccinated?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don’t know / Not sure

0 voters

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1381285691267633155?s=19

4 Likes

Asian cultures have been doing it right and we have been doing it wrong. We should always be masking.

6 Likes

I agree we should have way more masking every flu season going forward, but I don’t think we will.

I thought that case numbers were still too high to drop things like mask mandates.

I agree at some point we gotta move on with our vaccinated lives here and was more trying to be critical of my friend who’s only thoughts on politics are that he is for anything that would make his business money and nothing else matters.

He thinks we should have been full open for business this whole time while vulnerable people stayed home and waited for a vaccine. When he realizes we aren’t getting enough people vaccinated he will absolutely blame Gavin Newsom and democrats.

For the rest of my life I will never board public transit again without wearing a mask.

3 Likes

I think you’ll be in a vanishingly small percentage. At best I think the idea of wearing a mask if you feel sick will catch on some.

2 Likes

Yah I don’t think masks are long for this world in usa#1. Of course people should wear them, but they won’t and I think once we are down to like <35k cases a day and like 500 deaths we are just chillin.

On a positive note, people will conflate mask wearers with sick people and it’ll be a great way to keep strangers away from you.

7 Likes

Oh yah my strat flying southwest was always to look as fat and sick as possible to try to score ghetto first class middle seat open.

Toss a mask on there and goodnight sweet prince that armrest is mine.

10 Likes

Even here in Asia, at least Japan, people aren’t always masking, even during flu season. But people here will mask without hesitation if they have even a hint of symptoms to protect others from them, or when on trains or other crowded places where they might be at risk. Pollen allergies is another big reason for masking here.

5 Likes

Depends on % vaccinated

Many Americans:

“We’re about 30% vaxxed, so off with the masks and back to our normal lives!”

Meanwhile,

A Japanese friend yesterday:

“Next week I’m going to drive to a place out in the country with absolutely no one around, go horseback riding, and come back home without even stopping for lunch. But because it’s in the neighboring prefecture, I’m going to stay home for two weeks so as to not risk infecting anyone.”

9 Likes

Sounds like a silly goose.

Not sure what to make of this Israel study showing more of the SA variant breaking through the pfizer vaccine. With only 8 positive samples and 1 expected in a sample of 150, not sure how much statistically sound that possibly could be.

Especially since pfizer published their own work out of SA when there was a very high prevalence of the SA variant and it did great.

Seems like the Israeli study most likely is an anomaly, but not great news obviously.

1 Like

People masked up in South Korea and China during yellow dust season as well.

1 Like

I’ve been watching a Japanese movie from 1965 where this dude puts a mask on every time he goes off to work, it’s very surreal.

Is he a ninja?

1 Like

No, but after I typed that I realized I’m also watching the Netflix series about luchadors, so my media consumption has been very mask-intensive lately.

5 Likes

Movie theatre? Sporting event?

Masking up?