COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

This is a beautiful example of why you should be skeptical of long covid.

1. Basic proof that you even had COVID when this started? Nope.
  2. Atypical description of some medical symptom (in this case, pleuritis)
  3. Secondary gain? Yup.
  4. Utter nonsense (In June, she tried to do 10 minutes of stretching but it left her bed-bound for a week)
  5. Symptoms typical for depression/anxiety (Weight loss, irregular menstrual cycles, acid reflux, an increased heart-rate, palpitations and insomnia)
  6. Multiple negative workups
  7. Medical jargon that is utter horseshit (She learned she had developed a ā€œdysfunctional breathing patternā€ due to experiencing low oxygen levels.)
  8. Nonsense medical treatments (taking blood thinners for ā€œsmall blood clotsā€ to clear them - blood thinners donā€™t clear blood clots)
  9. Likely incidental findings described as serious (fluid around the heart)

The only thing I canā€™t immediately explain is presumably the DLCO testing she did (the gas transfer stuff). That number is lower than I would have expected, but not close to low enough to explain her symptoms. Not sure what the accuracy of this kind of testing would be or how applicable it is to what theyā€™re trying to do. Iā€™m not a pulmonologist.

7 Likes

In college, I developed a weird pattern of movement: I would shake my head no ans lift up my elbows involuntarily. I got to the point that would happen a hundred times a day. It was scary, I went to a shrink, MRI, etc. When I finally got to see a neurologist 2 months later, he told me it was a ā€œticā€ and it was no big deal. Within a day it went away, despite him not doing anything to me.

Psychosomatic illness is real. I try not to judge people experiencing symptoms, though perhaps I failed with my ā€œbullshitā€ comment.

Yeah Iā€™m gonna get a three day weekend out of tomorrowā€™s second shot.

Though I expect one third of it to suck.

1 Like

Well, for that first group of people, the argument is that if you take anybody and give them any super severe respiratory illness that sticks them in the ICU on a ventillator for weeks, then itā€™s not at all surprising that they may never recover their original level of fitness. So itā€™s not really ā€œlong COVIDā€. Itā€™s just the long term effects of being really sick and many sicknesses can cause it.

Now if they go from marathon runner to barely able to walk after a lot of rehab, thatā€™s perhaps different.

Same is true with the second category. Post-viral loss of smell has been described after lots of viral respiratory infections. Here is an article from 2004 about it.

So, once again, there is nothing unique about COVID here. Itā€™s something that you can get from lots of different viruses.

So calling these kinds of things ā€œlong COVIDā€ makes little sense to me. Itā€™s true that they are a result of COVID, but when people say ā€œlong COVIDā€ what I think they mean to say is that there is something unique about about SARS-CoV-2 that makes these things happen. Itā€™s more useful to think of them as generic symptoms that can happen as a result of lots of different viral illnesses. And if you think of them that way, then ā€œlong COVIDā€ just feels like a weird way to describe it.

Itā€™s a fine distinction, I suppose, and maybe not even very practical. But Iā€™m pretty sure most of the people who say ā€œlong COVIDā€ arenā€™t thinking about it in the way I have just described.

That 2nd shot is kicking my ass already. Feeling nauseous and have a bad headache. Got the shot an hour ago.

5 Likes

Seems like those are the exact type of guys who are going to notice long lasting effects, exactly because theyā€™re fanatically measuring their athletic performance and are going to be tuned in to any decrease. Iā€™m not going to notice if my lungs hurt if I try to run a mile because Iā€™m not going to try to run a fuckin mile!

Kraft Heinz told AFP news agency that it had already made adjustments to its production processes, but that ā€œdemand was greater than supplyā€.

It said it had now added multiple new production lines in its factories and developed a ā€œno-touch dispenserā€ for dine-in services.

Decreases in athletic performance isnā€™t what typically being referenced with long covid. That, again, makes sense in someone who has had pneumonia, which makes sense given her history of being pretty sick. Ditto for the shortness of breath.

The hormone stuff makes less sense. That could because they drew a thyroid level when she complained about being tired all the time. That could be covid related, itā€™s also pretty common problem for women in that age group.

You are getting at whatā€™s part of the problem here: thereā€™s no real definition of what ā€˜long covidā€™ is. People taking months to recover fully from pneumonia is normal and makes sense. People who didnā€™t even provably have covid when symptoms started with all sorts of weird symptoms that are severe yet intermittent like the BBC article above does not make sense.

1 Like

Well your personal sensibilities aside, I donā€™t imagine you would really find fault with someone who considered depression, for example, a disease of the brain.

Out of curiosity, what do you personally consider schizophrenia. Disease or brain state?

Sounds like a migraine. Ick.

GD Brits. Patiently waiting 245 years for their revenge.

6 Likes

To my surprise and delight, I was able to make an appointment despite not being eligible until the 19th (since Iā€™m in PA). So I made it for the 19th. Itā€™s about 75 minutes away in a mostly rural area. Pfizer

My friend booked through the same site and it let him book for the 14th, despite him being in the same category as me. I hope they let him in.

4 Likes

Itā€™s only called the UK strain as we discovered it (a bit like America)

Iā€™m pretty sure it escaped from a lab in Liverpool.

9 Likes

I was the only one in the poll who was eligible but unable to find an appointment, but if anyone else is in that category, findashot.org got me an appointment for next week 30 miles away when I was striking out with other searches.

1 Like

I agree with that. On the other hand, if there exists a widespread notion that depression is not a real ā€œdiseaseā€, then I think that harms the afflicted quite a bit.

Iā€™m sure one could make a case for even that, but as you say, itā€™s a completely semantic argument.

I will say that if GSWs were as ubiquitous and stigmatized as depression, Iā€™d be more inclined to view them as such.